Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Slow But Still Pedaling
    No worries man, glad you're ok. There's another forum I'm on (road related) where a few people have died of other causes and a few have also been killed on the road over the years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah no worries, but I knew a mountain biker who simply had some bad luck and did not descend well when over the bars broke his neck and died. Another incident I remember a young high school mountain biker who unfortunately crashed and messed up his back and central nervous system. As a result he is permanently paralyzed. So, I am like all us somewhat sensitive to the stuff.

mtbr member
    on sunday, I had a bit of a fall trying to roll a small double/gap (it can be done, the two guys ahead of me did it and I've done it before!), the upper collar of my EVS neck brace dug into the dirt and forced the shoulder plate straight down onto my clavicle, doing this:

ended up getting a plate and 8 screws in it, here's the post-op xray:

first follow-up orthopedist visit next wednesday, then I get to find out if its healing right and if they lock-tighted the screws
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Hang in there and don't rush recovery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I crashed last fall when my front wheel hit a rut going about 15 mph downhill. The thing is, I knew the ruts were coming, and I was slowing down -- just not soon enough. I went over the handlebars and banged my knee pretty good. I didn't realize I'd hurt my right shoulder until I got in the car to go home. It was sore for a good month, to the point initially that I could barely lift my arm over my head.

MTB Trail Advocate
    My current injury that's almost fully healed is bruised / cracked ribs!

I was trail riding at night with my Mrs. and I slowed down to let her catch up.....for some reason....I decided to pump on my front fork and wound up squeezing my front brake as well....I went endo, flew a few feet, and when landing.....my arm came between me and the crushed gravel and forcefully smashed my ribs! Pain.....luckily the damage wasn't worse.
    PHX, AZ MTBDOC MTB Customs and Repairs

mtbr member
    My worst happened 2 weeks ago. Riding into a drainage area and didn't / couldn't see until the last moment that the opposite side had been washed out from a rain a week or so before. Couldn't stop in time and when the front wheel hit the other side I went flying (not easy for 225 lbs). Luckily I turned my head out of the way and ended up taking a hit to the right side of my body. Thought at first I broke the collar bone (already broke that one twice), but when I started having trouble breathing, I knew I was in trouble. Ended up calling 911 and Fire / Rescue took me to Trauma Center.

Broke 3 ribs on my right side and collapsed my right lung. Chest tube hurt worse than anything. The collar bone wasn't broken but I did do a lot of soft tissue damage that's making the shoulder hard to move.

My doctors are all riders, mtb and road, so none of them told me I should stop riding. Girlfriend was with me and also rides so I'm lucky that she just wants me back riding. Stuck walking dogs for next 6-8 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Had a 40% compression fracture on my T12. Manual down a pavement didn't noticed a rotten branch, looped out so fast that grabbing my rear brake did nothing. Landed heavily on my rear end, heard a faint pop sounds and had the mother of all pain. The rest is history, this is the third day and it still hurts despite all that painkiller.

Take care fellow MTB riders and speedy recovery to all whom are on the mend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Nothing major from biking other than 3 purple scars on my hip. Chainrings landing there.

Now, running. I stepped into a 1.5 foot deep hole that was covered in water. I lost my arch and 9 months later I was in the OR getting it fixed. I also had a bone removed and many scopes to see what else I messed up. That was about 2 years ago and I am still having issues to this day.

I also blew out my shoulder moving a gun safe. I stretched the "cup" and now I can pop it out when ever I want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Took a dive on Power Pole at Bootleg Canyon. Took the handle bar in the ribs before rolling down the hill a little ways. Broke a rib. Scrapes and bruises on arms and legs. It was AWESOME. Still hurts to breathe and forget running. Also scared to death to sneeze. Lol. Surface bruise gone after like a week but internally still painful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Not my most serious. Just the newest.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Failure to negotiate ramp: sprained left ankle, knee and wrist. Broke my left middle
    finger four ribs and shattered my clavical into five pieces. Surgery a week later on
    clavical - eight screws and a plate installed. Also, neck sprain that has limited my left
    rotation. That all happened in August of 2011. Waited eight months to ride again, but I was back in the gym three weeks after the accident. Waited three months before I started lifting weights again.
    "The only easy day was yesterday!"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was out training three weeks ago on my standard round I usually run my interval workouts on when I, between intervals, fiddled with my GPS. that little gap in attention made ​​me miss that the road barrier was closed and sent me flying over the handlebars. since I landed on my head instead of any other body part the result was a neck fracture of the vertebra C7 and 8 weeks with support collar. note to self: analyze your workout at home and not while cycling..

I'm glad I can stand/walk/move around and still has full sensation and I guess I could say I was lucky as it could have been so damn much worse!

8 years ago I cracked the urethra, but that is a different story.
    any distance is riding distance..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Figure it's about time that I jump in on this thread. Although after scanning through the posts, my injury pales in comparison to some.

My buddy got me into riding about a year ago, having never been on a MTB or really anything 2 wheeled since my used pale yellow Schwin 10spd in junior high. I got absolutely hooked and after about four months of bombing around XC trails I agreed that it made sense to try something more technical. So off to SoMo and National trail.

I didn't know what I was doing, couldn't do many of the obstacles on the trail, but couldn't wipe the grin off my face either. After four rides, I got a new wider set of bars, put them on Friday night and hit the trail the next morning. Amazing what an extra 1/2" does for your control, and unfortunately, confidence. Soon my speed greatly exceeded my skill, I took a bad line and launched myself over the bars.

Put my hands down to stop from eating the rock approaching my face and came to a stop about 5yds short of my bike. Nothing hurt, but I glanced over at my left hand. My wrist was in a rather disturbing S-curve. After some loud cussing about the riding I would miss, walked my bike to my buddy further down the trail and started the 2 mile hike down. Thank god for adrenaline, didn't feel a thing the whole hike or drive to the hospital.

It says something when the ER doc is impressed with your injury. I managed a displaced distill fracture of both the radius and ulna in my left wrist. Chipped a bone in the right wrist as well, but hey that's nothin. Had surgey 2 weeks later, got plated and have 8 screws. Back on the bike in 2 months and back on XC trails in 3. During my convalescence, I stayed connected to riding by upgrading most of the components on my bike, because it's always the arrows, never the indians. I'll tackle SoMo again this fall hopefully with a little more skill.

I had to memorialize the event

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-crash-collage-photo.jpg

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-bike-display1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've had more than a few bad ones. This was last Sunday:

2nd worst was the fall that led to the 3 titanium screws in my shoulder (don't have the x-ray of that available), and the worst happened in 1996 and eventually led to this last year:

Still riding as much as possible, though I may have to tone down the speed and technicality of my riding; I break a lot easier now...

The Knights Who Say "Ni"
    Jun 2006
    Cancer..Stage 3B colon cancer. Diagnosed August 29th 2011, spent 13 days in the hospital. My motivation for recovery (besides my wife and kids) was walking to the bay window every morning counting bike roof racks, being jealous that they were out there and I was stuck inside
    6 months of chemo followed...trying to get back into cycling again.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2adjust View Post
    Cancer..Stage 3B colon cancer. Diagnosed August 29th 2011, spent 13 days in the hospital. My motivation for recovery (besides my wife and kids) was walking to the bay window every morning counting bike roof racks, being jealous that they were out there and I was stuck inside
    6 months of chemo followed...trying to get back into cycling again.
    My prayers are with you brother !!!

The Mountain Bike Gods are smiling on you !!!
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by esocko View Post
    After four rides, I got a new wider set of bars, put them on Friday night and hit the trail the next morning. Amazing what an extra 1/2" does for your control, and unfortunately, confidence. Soon my speed greatly exceeded my skill, I took a bad line and launched myself over the bars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike Display1.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	703150
    Same thing happened to me after I bought a new helmet.

I hate quoting pictures, but I showed that to my girlfriend and her response was "That's not happening in our living room." I think otherwise.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Broken clavicle on saturday in a bike crash. Took the sergeon 2 hours, 7 screws, some bone puddy and a plate to put me back togeather. Dr Kim is the same Dr. that did Michael Floyd's (Notre Dame Football ), so I feel like I am in good hands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No real serious injuries for me. Normal scrapes . No skin on knees type thing. However I finally got my wife to come out with me on an easy ride . First ride out - Got down one trail and had to cross a stile passed bikes over and hop over all ok. Wife hops over and manages to land her foot on a nice two inch rusty spike from the old gate it went through shoe and into foot. Queue plenty of blood. I inspect it and decide its nothing too major but give her the choice carry on or we go home and fair do's she carries on for another hour or so. Then up casualty for a tetanus shot but I got her hooked and she has been out three more times since then with foot still sore and got her signed up to a little 45 k trail in November so all good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My worst one was when I was around 10 years old, meaning many many years ago.
    I was racing with friends and was leading the line. Did not see a car coming the wrong side of the street and went head on. Flew over and I think my rolling judo training, and a lot of luck, prevented more serious injuries than a broken arm. Bike was destroyed.

All my subsequent falls were a lot ligther and I have to thank judo. I am planning to enroll my son in those classes also since he's already showing he will ride hard.

humpty dumpty
    My worst is my "Chain Ring Tattoo" and I started a thread for other "Tattoo Artists" check it out at:
    Chain Ring Tattoos

mtbr member
    Dislocated my elbow taking gap, well, the gap took me really. out for the count after that nasty spill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Last weekend, cruising along a trail I've ridden many times. Front tire caught a root on a step down and turned 90 degrees instantaneously. I got catapulted into the hardpack dirt trail. Ouch. Ended up breaking my left collarbone. The kicker is that I broke my right collarbone less than four months ago.

I can only be thankful I've had many many years without many serious crashes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Crashed off a DH jump. Concussion, broken hand, lost conciousness. Out of work 4 months with concussion, dark rooms and no noise. A year and 12 days ago; can finally do light trail rides as of a month ago, any more than that screws with the head. Awful, but getting better. Living vicariously through friends and fuel tv.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast