Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Got my most serious biking injury today/yesterday. Supermanned it off of a washed corner and popped the shoulder out. Wasn't the worst dislocation I've had, but couldn't get this one back in myself. So, a nice fella helped me back to my car - where I then had to drive myself the hour back to town, but sadly it took another three hours (four in total) for the docs to get her back in place. Hoping to avoid surgery this time!
    My dad, uncle, gf, and buddies first question was on the status of the bike (just got a Yeti SB66 in December) but luckily I was on my hard tail! Still I was quite entertained that was everyones first concern!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Dislocating your shoulder can come back on you, my sister dislocated hers about 5 years ago and always has problems with it coming back out. She just not got surgery on it and wished she would have done it sooner because she had just kept putting it off. If they say you probably need it might just wanna go ago ahead and get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeah, this isn't the first time I have dislocated it. I had a reverse dislocation 5 years ago and had to have surgery, it ended up putting me out about 14 months total. Then I've had trouble with it lately (past 2 years or so). This was just a "normal" dislocation this time.. Just sucked it was out so long, I was able to throw my other one in myself.
    Now I have to go see an ortho this week and go from there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well good luck man, I know thats the kind of thing that if you don't do anything about it, it just keeps getting worst. Does your ever pop out randomly or just when you are doing stuff?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeah, but when it pops out randomly it will usually pop back in by itself. This one yesterday my shoulder was down on my peck by my nipple. So it couldn't of gone back in on it's own.
    Thanks for the well wishes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah my sisters would pop out while she was sleeping sometimes, wouldn't be fun to wake up too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Had a crash Sunday... Got xrayed today... Fractured my elbow... Superlame

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My worst one was back in May 2010 where I ended up hitting an unseen huge bump on a paved trail (which was on a tight curve too), fell on my side, and really scraped up my right arm bad. The skin on the tricep muscle had a bloody stripe all over it, on top of my wrist being in severe pain too since I fell hard and landed partially on my wrist. That same bump is still there to this very day and nothing is being done about it despite the visible danger.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just got surgery a few days ago for a 1 cm avulsion on my hamstring tendon. The tendon completely ripped off my pelvis. 12 month recovery here I come!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Dislocated Right Shoulder w/ fractured Femur - 2 years ago, still don't have my confidence back entirely, but I was finally starting to let go and relax before winter hit w/ about 90% mobility... Chomping at the bit to see if I can get back to where I left off... No idea how my collarbone survived..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Compression fracture of first lumbar vertebra and pelvic fracture. Riding an intermediate single track trail I've ridden a hundred times. Slow speed uphill, didn't clear an obstacle, and tipped in slow motion into a ravine. Hurt like hell at first, then eased and we decided I hadn't broken anything so we didn't need to call the helicopter. Rode out painfully, went to urgent care, and found out I'd broken my back. Only later did the hospital diagnose the pelvic fracture as the reason I couldn't walk.

That was six months ago, and I'm at the point I can think about riding again. I'll be starting on fire roads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hard to say which is the "worst" for me. Both have been 16+ years ago.

-Went over the bars, broke my collar bone, and got a concussion.

-Hit by a car, fractured several ribs, got a concussion. I don't really remember much from this one, but my friend that was with me told me what happened.

Both sucked!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There used be a fence with a section cut out of it near the local trails. The chicken wire was cut out but the steel support bar on top was left in place, conveniently it was right around head height so you had to duck under it on the way through.

I had a massive brain fart one day and forgot to duck, the steel bar creamed my helmet and damn near broke my neck. It gets worse, after getting clotheslined off my bike I hit the back of my head into the ground which destroyed the back of my helmet and got a bad concussion. That was 16 years ago, my neck still hurts if I've been sitting on my butt for a couple days and makes crunchy noises if I'm not warmed up and working out. Also had occasional dizzy spells for nearly 5 years after the crash, ended up passing out for no good reason a couple times in the first year. It sucked hard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Wink Lots of injuries

Hello and injuries are inevitable here's my story.
    Four broken ribs, major concussion, torn up knee, bruised lumbar, black eye. This all happened in a circuit race and 80 guys ran me over. The hardest part was the concussion as I didn't know that I was trying to get my bike and race again. And then my sympathetic nerve wanted to play in my heart stopped, medics were there and then I have stopped again the ER. I don't have photos, but I have x-rays...

That summer sucked. I am selling any road items and will be a mountain bike for life for for many reasons. However I'll be posting soon a more tragic injury that has left me to make obvious athletic decisions.

jjvibes

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Definitley has to be tearing the end of my finger off in my brake rotor

mtbr member

Smile Broken Neck (C2 split into 4 pieces)

Hey,

The most important thing with any injury is to keep a good attitude and work hard at your therapy. I came back (from a broken neck) to riding full speed. I broke it while riding Anderson Truck Trail (San Diego County) in 2008. I have written about this frightful experience on my website: Mountain Bike Diaries (I can't make a link as I have not posted 10 times on this site). My website contains many fun and interesting stories you might enjoy while you are laid up.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe@MBD.com; 03-17-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: To insert an Image

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Riding solo, I went over the bars and fractured my C2 vertebra. I spent 20-30 minutes unable to move--finally got one hand to work, managed to drag my pack around, get my phone and dial 911 (luckily I had a signal). Four hours later I ended up in the ER. In that time I gradually regained feeling and use in my other limbs. I ended up with surgery, two titanium rods and four screws, a week in the hospital, and four months of recovery. I'm just now getting back on the bike--had hoped to race this spring, it'll have to wait. But I'll get there.

mtbr member
    ihaveagibsonsg died riding yesterday. he wins.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    ihaveagibsonsg died riding yesterday. he wins.
    Oh that's horrible! My condolences.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

This is so sad…

Did he have a heart attack? What happened? My heart goes out to his friends and family.

I have to say I don't think we should be competing, especially,if a rider dies – no one wins.

I always thought this thread was to encourage each rider to persevere through their injuries and help each other to get tough times. Not to compete, as it's not fun to be off your bike and in pain.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Agreed jjvibes - certainly not a competition here but a source of encouragement to get back on the horse and look forward to the good times again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Note the author's name.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Yeah, I saw that, hopefully it's a joke and not the wife or someone else posting from his account (which would not be the first time I've seen bad news posted by a spouse or buddy in a bike forum unfortunately).

mtbr member
    sorry guys didnt expect people to take my 1 upping so seriously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    glad you are ok...ride on!

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast