Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I have 23 screws and 5 rods holding my leg together. Another driver decided to not wait his turn, next thing I know I see my femur sticking out of my leg.

So, the FD came and used the jaws of life to cut me out. Several months of rehab and I'm good to go. Then almost a year later to the day, I fall off of my Ibis trials bike and re-break it!

All is good now, well sort of!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just might have yalls beat? I recieved what the docs called a "decapatation break". c2 was fractured in two spots on the right and left sides, just below the rings that catch your nerve packs coming from your brain! I recovered well! They wanted to halo me. Slaped on a super tech neckbrace, munched out on bonegrowth matrix from baby lambs, and wheatgrass! Seven months later the brace is off! The docs are still amazed, me included! Bobbleheaded for a few months because i lost 15lbs of neck and shoulder muscles, but with my love,passion,and dreams of my dh riding ,I was riding in one year from my crash.
    Last edited by dirtclog; 10-16-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typos

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Night ride two weeks ago, just riding along on a local trail next thing I know I am eating dirt. I either peeled my bottom lip back enough to tear it or seriously gashed it with my teeth. Anyways after some pretty extensive oral surgery I am now on the mend. Cost me my helmet and sunglasses too.
    As bad as it was it could have been worse. I was really lucky to have no broken bones and no broken teeth.

mtbr member
    MTB'ing = 0 so far
    Dirt Biking: Broken ribs and nerve damage to tissue in hip; Opened knee, 25 stitches; concussion; Tibial Platuea fracture and ACL; Clavical - Plated (this one recently).

Going back to MTB but hope to keep some of the injuries to a minimum.

Racer
    well......i kind of dont have to tell you? just take a quick look and yull see

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by huckit View Post
    well......i kind of dont have to tell you? just take a quick look and yull see
    You're really lucky--glad you're ok. Those Leatte braces are life savers. I have one too, and I'll be wearing one once I start DH riding next year (not until I'm 1 year post-op am I going to try DH again).

So the question is, when are you healing and what are you replacing the Chumba with? Please don't rehash the mechanical failures here--just send people to the Chumba forum if they want to know what happened (http://forums.mtbr.com/chumba-racing...ad-746479.html).

I'm more curious about the human healing aspect with the broken arm and ribs. You walked away from that--definitely a miracle.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    All I have to say is... Kids, don't drink and ride!

One night I had a few too many. I was riding home, and decided to ride up a curb cut. Well, apparently it wasn't a curb cut. It was just a curb. Luckily I was drunk so I limply flew through the air, over my bars, and landed on my shoulder. Went home in quite a bit of pain, and tried to sleep it off. Woke up in the morning with the worst pain I had ever felt. Time to go to the hospital.

I suffered a class III AC joint separation. Had to get surgery, where they wrapped my ligaments back together with cadaver, then wrapped that in stitching material. After a year of recovery I can finally ride again. The doctors said it's one of the 5 most painful injuries you can sustain, and boy, do I believe that.

DON'T DRINK AND RIDE.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So far it's been a Grade 3 Concussion, Loss of consciousness for 5 mins and 24 hours or so of amnesia. I wasn't allowed to ride or drive for 6 months, and my memory was still effected a year later. Told by 4 Doctors included a neurologist without a helmet I'd be dead (Helmet cracked right through)
    Was riding in the Blue Mountains, and going a little too quick or a gravel down hill section. Came around a sweeping bend at 50kms or so and a rock had rolled into the middle of the track. I obviously hit it, then came off head butting another rock. Friends came along 5 or 10 mins later and I was just getting up. Choices were a Chopper out or ride to the end, so I rode through techy Rock gardens etc repeating every 30 secs or so "Did I crash" Didn't know where I lived, what day it was etc, and didn't remember any of the 4 hour ride. CT scans and a trip to hospital and I was given the ok. Lost from dinner the night before, and first real memory is from 8pm the next night. Docs say I'll never remember that 24 hours. I guess I can ride that route again. as I don't remember anything about it

Slingin' mud
    Well this was my MTB accident in July '10; open tibia fracture!

I'm still going through sports med for recovery............I still can't run like I use to. BUT I can still ride.

high desert rider
    Aug 2011

my not so epic crash.

well i guess i can proudly(?) say that iv never hurt myself to the extent that some of you have. due to obvious reasons i cant post pictures of my injurie, but about 2-3 months ago while riding at snow summit i somehow ripped my sack open. and im not talking about the bag that was on my back....

8 stitches and two grand later im back on the trails!
    turns out xc bikes do not enjoy downhill....

mtbr member
    Managed to get to 45 before the big one!

Riding my local tracks as you do, fantastic evening, enjoying the wind in my face and then picking my self up after an embarrassingly non-technical bit of track took me out!!

You know how it is - lying on the ground and full systems check, limbs attached and pointing in the right direction, no obvious bleeding, but severely winded, took a few minutes to get it sorted, then the half hour walk back to the car - knew the right collarbone was toast as trying to push the bike...

Bike is fine, and now I am trying to grow bone while we have the best weather - agggh.

Oh well - hopefully quick recovery - week 3 now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My last ride I crashed. I don't know how though... I don't remember it.

I got a concussion with minor anterograde and retrograde amnesia. I can't really remember anything that happened that day. Kinda scary trying to think back and replay the series of events.

They told me that I just "flipped" or something. I was bringing up the rear of our group as I usually do. \

I ended up breaking my cheek bone, which is even more scary since my helmet should have helped a little bit. The helmet is toast. My wrist, shoulder, and elbow are all cut up, nothing major though. I'm just glad I'll be able to ride again soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer View Post
    Night ride two weeks ago, just riding along on a local trail next thing I know I am eating dirt. I either peeled my bottom lip back enough to tear it or seriously gashed it with my teeth. Anyways after some pretty extensive oral surgery I am now on the mend. Cost me my helmet and sunglasses too.
    As bad as it was it could have been worse. I was really lucky to have no broken bones and no broken teeth.

Pretty similar to me. I did similar about a month ago., halloween night.Tore my bottom lip off after a faceplant into a root. Hands never left the grips. Expected teeth gone, but none. MRI showed no concussion but I think my nose broke and separated shoulder.

Fortunately the degloving was internal, oral surgeon reattached the muscles,lip and tendons to the gums under local that didn't take in the ER room. Took forever to remove the debris. Probably 23 stitches was his guess. A week later nobody could tell that wasn't close to me.

Cause? New bike with improperly torqued bars. Hit a rut after a foot or so and Frenchkissed mother earth at about 10-15mph. I have quick reflexes but I was blindsided by this , full impact and no defensive measures taken.

Cost about 3k, plus the Verace sunglasses I wore because I didnt have any others with me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Fell ten feet off the trail and landed in a poison oak push. Poison oaks all over my body and face for two weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Eight weeks ago I crashed my bike cycling to the station to go to work - I made a bad choice and was wearing a new hat, not my helmet as I normally do, and the wind blew up as I came down the hill behind the station.

I instinctively grabbed at it, lost control, went flying - my bike spun round and although I don't remember, I think the handlebar smashed me in the mouth. I ended up with a very nasty split lip, wiping off the skin above me lip, smashing out most of my front teeth - three bottom, broke two top, one root canalled so far, will need two crowns, have chipped another up top and badly chipped one next to the ones i whacked out - and giving myself severe whiplash, which I've been having physio for over the past few weeks.

I'm still recovering from it, am having to have piles of dental work including my first ever op, which was horrid. It's really messed me up physically and mentally - I returned to work a few weeks ago and it's been a huge struggle, had surgery for implants on my teeth earlier this week and am banned from exercising for about four months in total. Never had to deal with anything like this before, it's been appalling, I've been a wreck - anyone else dealt with this? Having said that I was certainly lucky to escape anything more serious - it's just a pity I smashed the one bone that doesn't regrow itself...

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Most serious mountain biking injury (though far from most severe overall) was in October - OTB at 20mph merging from trail back onto pavement in the dark and using insufficient approach angle over a lip that was bigger than estimated - two broken ribs, badly bruised collarbone (still hurts), lots of lost skin down to the dermis, cracked my helmet and woke up bleeding profusely.

Called the wife to be aware of my location and route in case it got worse on the road, then rode home and realized halfway there the ribs were toast, and stopped to rinse my wounds out with my water bottle which had not occurred to me when I first got up. Then called the doc as I pedaled home and he told me I had to get to the ER to get checked for pneumothorax for an impact that hard (making sure I had not punctured lung or liver or created an air pocket in my chest cavity that could collapse a lung) - keep this in mind kids, if you go down hard enough, what feels like just broken ribs can kill you dead if you don't get checked. I wish I'd known that the first couple of times I broke ribs!

The huge scar on my arm will likely be a permanent reminder to slow the f##k down at night.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Wow Jim - can't believe you made your own way home after that! I cycled in the middle of the night the morning of my accident - nobody around - just thought to myself afterwards 'what if I had crashed with nobody around then?' Glad you're okay

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Quote Originally Posted by cestfacile View Post
    Wow Jim - can't believe you made your own way home after that! I cycled in the middle of the night the morning of my accident - nobody around - just thought to myself afterwards 'what if I had crashed with nobody around then?' Glad you're okay
    Thanks! Yeah, with the benefit of hindsight I probably should have let the wife come pick me up, could have made it worse trying to ride home, but luckily I survived. And now I have a reminder to ride more cautiously at night and pay more attention when shifting across parallel surfaces! You think suspension will help you with such things but a one or two inch ridge hit at a 20 or 30 degree angle rather than 60 degrees plus can throw you right over the bars.

Seems pretty lame compared to some of the YouTube bails going over huge jumps and whatnot I see posted here though! I've gotten too old and broken for the craziness of my youth, let alone the craziness of modern youth.

EDIT: How's the dental work going? I know I've had a bit of PTSD-type not wanting to be on the bike since then, but I got out and rode a bit this past weekend and will be back in the saddle as spring comes around. Just gotta get back on and go, and go somewhere you really love to remind you of why you were doing it in the first place.
    Last edited by JimInSF; 01-10-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Michigan Wolverine
    Several years ago I came up a little too short on a pretty long double. It threw me up onto my front wheel until I faceplanted into the lip of the next jump. I just remember wondering what happened as I laid in a heap on the ground with my bike on top of me. After I got up I went to get back on my bike when I realized my collarbone was toast. That effectively ended my summer of riding. When I'm getting really tired my collarbone still aches to this day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey Jim

Luck is a weird thing... accidents are even more so - mostly preventable, things happen we never normally would do and then life changes! Bike control is so tenuous...

RE dental work - fine thank you! I'm just sitting on my hands at the moment as I've got a temp bridge in at the moment and just waiting for the jawbone to heal up enough for them to put in the final implants, and then hopefully get going on crowning the top 'uns and fixing the white filling needs of the other chipped one! I guess the test will come over the next couple of years as my mouth gets used to it all...

I haven't got back on the bike yet - physio still won't allow it and back, although it's been getting much better, is still not ready for that. Part of me is ready but the rest (mainly the physical, but probs mental too) isn't. Can't wait till I can, though. Have agreed to go out with a friend for that first one, cycle somewhere easy and get a cup of tea or piece of cake or something!

bi-winning
    High ankle sprain, kept me off my MTB for about a month.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I went of a ramp downhill and went over the handle bars and stuck my wrist out to catch me. I ending up fracturing my wrist and had my hand pushed down out of place. I had to have plates put in and Physical therapy for a few months.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Quote Originally Posted by cestfacile View Post
    Hey Jim

Luck is a weird thing... accidents are even more so - mostly preventable, things happen we never normally would do and then life changes! Bike control is so tenuous...

RE dental work - fine thank you! I'm just sitting on my hands at the moment as I've got a temp bridge in at the moment and just waiting for the jawbone to heal up enough for them to put in the final implants, and then hopefully get going on crowning the top 'uns and fixing the white filling needs of the other chipped one! I guess the test will come over the next couple of years as my mouth gets used to it all...

I haven't got back on the bike yet - physio still won't allow it and back, although it's been getting much better, is still not ready for that. Part of me is ready but the rest (mainly the physical, but probs mental too) isn't. Can't wait till I can, though. Have agreed to go out with a friend for that first one, cycle somewhere easy and get a cup of tea or piece of cake or something!
    I'm mostly healed other than skin/elbow, but the mental part has been hard. I've been reticent about getting on the bike and some of this is just laziness (hard to get back into exercise after not doing it for a while!), but some of it is trepidation - I've been hesitant about riding my motorcycle too. It's no way to live though, so this week I've ridden to work and put in a quick 20 on Saturday, and hoping to get my first 100 mile week since the accident. Back to life! Hope your healing continues to accelerate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Whoosh, snap, grind, bam, skid, owwww!!!!

Last Sunday afternoon, some buddies, my son and I started out on one of my favorite rides, looking to do about 2 1/2 hours out on the trail. It wasn't 10 minutes into it, still on the fire road going down, riding at a pretty fast clip, maybe 20-25 mph, my front tire hits a rut that was obscured by grass in the middle of the trail.

You know how when you're crashing, and time slows down and you have that heightened sense of reality, with your mind noticing every detail? That didn't happen. It was just whoa, something's wrong here, whoosh, snap, grind, bam, skid, owwww!!!! I endo'd sort of sideways, then the bike flipped over me, and it all came skidding to a halt. Pain in my left arm, I'm lying there doing a self-check, and it comes up no, everything's not allright.

I had to walk myself and my bike out about a half mile to a lower trailhead with my left arm hanging limp so my buddy Curt could ride the 3 miles back up to get his truck and drive around to pick me up and bring me to the ER.

Turns out I broke the radius and the ulna near the hand, and the humerus at the top, which is the ball of the ball and socket shoulder joint. Also got some nasty scrapes and bruises in various places including my face, and my right leg is one big purple and blue/green ugly mess that's making it a little hard to walk.

Ruined that ride for everybody.

Other than that, I've had a hip/groin injury, bruised or sprained ribs, some pretty good scrapes, scratches, and bruises, and my head has bounced more than once (with a helmet on of course) etc., but this is definitely the worst. And the most expensive. And painful.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Sorry to hear it 53skidoo - heal fast!

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast