Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Nothing Major

Cracked a coupla ribs when I endo'ed into a kurb and slapped myself around a few other times. I've broken 2 helmets now so my advice is wear one!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

where to start

going to big on a huge gap and missing the entire landing to hit the flats led to an extremely long day of riding.

it hurt more on a mountain bike than it did on a snowmobile.

I've wiped going so fast that I was nearly skinless.

broke a rib that didn't really bother me until I rebroke it a half year later.

following fellow rider to closely when we hit a big drop and my foot slid out of my toeclip so I landed on the peddle with my leg. Horrible Infection!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ummm ive got 9 stiches i my right knee right now after yesterday and i wont be riding or playing sport 4 anoter 3 weeks or so , probably even more. And this happened 2 days b4 the school holidays started... damn i had so much riding planned and was going 2 build and make a video with my mates.

Posting on company time

Nice "tattoo"

*touch wood* I haven't been involved in too many nasty MTB accidents - I do however own a lovely cyclist's "tattoo" on my right calf from my chainrings . . . I think I did this last year at a 12-hour race. It was quite a deep wound and it hurt like hell!!!
    Last edited by Kitkat; 06-16-2005 at 05:46 PM.
    Ride and ride and ride and ride and ride and ride ...

The Amazing Shrinking Man

I slid down a rocky hill..............

As I said, I slid down a rocky hill and took the skin off my left outer calf and about 5mm of underlying tissue as well! It hurts, but I'm still riding with it as the riding action of the muscles pumping helps keep the swelling down. The only thing I hate is the weekly debreedment(Scraping of necrotic tissue from my leg) as it HURTS! Actually, it hurts worse than the original injury!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat
    *touch wood* I haven't been involved in too many nasty MTB accidents - I do however own a lovely cyclist's "tattoo" on my right calf from my chainrings . . . I think I did this last year at a 12-hour race. It was quite a deep wound and it hurt like hell!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After 4 weeks or so of getting into this MTB'ing caper (in 1998) I had a little stack. On the 1st day of a 4 day long weekend I was messing about on a small jump just before a disused bridge. Cut a long story short, after a number of jumps all was going well..... until the last go. Just b4 hitting the ramp the front wheel got outta shape but I was committed. Over I went and landed bad on th bridge. I was heading for the edge of the bridge. A 4m drop into real shallow water so I dropped it before sliding off. Got up and all seemed well, until I got back to camp which was only 50 mtrs away. checked over the bike and no dramas but then noticed a huge amount of blood on my shorts. Looked aorund and couldn't find anything til I spied my elbow....Oh Oh. I must have landed on a rock. I had a chunk out of my arm 2" long x 1 wide in the perfect shape of a love heart.... to the bone. Nasty. Had to spend a night in hospital for surgery to clean the gravel out. Ended up with some 17 needles in 24 hours for local anesthetic, morphine, tetnus, holes for drips. Completely ballsed up a perfectly good long weekend.

Known to rely on calcium.

... and if we just ... Not to mention...

Quote Originally Posted by Dalec
    Ended up with some 17 needles in 24 hours for local anesthetic, morphine, tetnus, holes for drips
    Not to mention a cool heart-shaped scar on your elbow
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
    [Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.]

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Not so

Unfortunately no heart shaped scar . Just a butcherd mess.....that's public hosptials for ya. Actually they looked after me real well, just not very good surgeons .

mtbr member

Broken Femur

Broke my leg (upper part of femur) on gooseberry last fall. Didn't know it was broken until I got up and tried to put weight on it. Really didn't hurt until it started to swell, then the 'take your breath away pain' was only a slight movement away. Had to get flown off the mountain into St. George. Luckily, the area is big retirement community so they have a nice hospital and lots of expertise fixing hips. Now I have $3000 worth of steel holding things together in there. Gooseberry was sweet though, what a nice day it was.

mtbr member

Your Worst Injury

As mountain bikers we all take chances... sometimes we pay the price. What is the worst you have ever injured your self. For me it would be 3 years ago. Over the bars, hands extended, shattered the heads of the two arm bones into about 12 pieces. Three surgeries, a staff infection, and 5 months later I was almost back to normal.

First pics shows half of the external fixiture that basically held the bones in place after the surgery. Second pics is after the staff infection the docs had to back in and "excavate" out the infected tissue and re-drill the bone where the pins were. It was then left to heal from the inside out.

My wife was pretty pissed off to say the least. I was a helpless SOB. We do not always realize that we hurt more than ourselves.
    Chris

Now with flavor!!
    Aaahhhh

hand cooter

My worst was a broken leg and torn acl.

This one looked cooler though. Couple of torn ligaments and broken footsie bones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nothing more than a few abrasions, pain that lingers a few days after the incident (or ride in general).......

Been riding for 10+ years now, never seen the inside of a ER room.......

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    Nothing more than a few abrasions, pain that lingers a few days after the incident (or ride in general).......

Been riding for 10+ years now, never seen the inside of a ER room.......
    Good thing you just said that.

You are sooooo fvcked.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by wmbarace
    As mountain bikers we all take chances... sometimes we pay the price. What is the worst you have ever injured your self. For me it would be 3 years ago. Over the bars, hands extended, shattered the heads of the two arm bones into about 12 pieces. Three surgeries, a staff infection, and 5 months later I was almost back to normal.

First pics shows half of the external fixiture that basically held the bones in place after the surgery. Second pics is after the staff infection the docs had to back in and "excavate" out the infected tissue and re-drill the bone where the pins were. It was then left to heal from the inside out.

My wife was pretty pissed off to say the least. I was a helpless SOB. We do not always realize that we hurt more than ourselves.
    Chris

My pic speaks for itself, although not as dramatic looking as yours.

I told my wife this never would have happened had I had my spot then.

She didn't buy! But it was worth a shot!
    Astigmatic Visionary

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'm a member of the 'Clav Club'. Broke my collarbone about 11 1/2 years ago. Bad enough to require a surgeon to go put the bone and connecting tissue back together.

I'ce had a couple of concussions along the way too. Makes me wonder what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Compound fracture of my right femur. Yep, right through my shorts. I was in such a state of shock I tried to get up afterwards and shake it off. Bad idea. 2 months in a hospital bed in traction, then 6 weeks in a body cast....mmmmm....fun! When I think back on it I'm very lucky it wasn't worse. Much worse.

This was a road riding incident (hit by a car), which explains why I hardly ride road anymore. I'll take my chances with the rocks and trees. If I "F" up it's my own damn fault.

mtbr member

Ouch

No pretty pictures from mine (no idea how to post an MRI) I had my Subscapularis?? ( the muscle that runs from the inside of the shoulder blade to the upper part of the humerous) pull out of the Humerous The surgeon had to dig deep to find the end of the tendon that had retracted up into my armpit and sew it to 4 anchors drilled into my humerous, which hurt far worse for far longer than the injury itself. Now it's stronger than the other side.

mtbr member
    Not exactly mountain biking, but I was on a mountain bike. Went over the bars on the Lakeshore Drive bike path - well, near it anyway. Going fast down a small knoll and hopped a curb at the bottom, blew my front tire on impact. Faceplant in the parking lot with no helmet. I didn't have time to put my hands down it happened so fast - I scraped the skin off of my knuckles on both hands. I drove my sunglasses into my nose, folded over the septum, sent gravel through my top lip and into the tip of my nose, scraped off skin to the bone on my cheek and very nearly lost my left eye.

I asked the surgeon who sewed me up how many stitches it took, and he said "That's like asking how many nails it takes to build a house". The most painful part was having my nose re-broken with some midevil needle-nose pliers while under a "local anesthetic". I freaked when after having 10 novacaine shots to my face I could feel the pliers up in my nose. Too late - CRACK!

Not really a major deal in the perspective of a spinal injury, so I consider myself lucky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Good thing you just said that.

You are sooooo fvcked.
    Shhhhhhhh

Im going to Moab in a week........dont wanna jinx it........

what a joke
    I'm here nursing some bruised (maybe cracked?) ribs from a boxing day ride learning DJ's. I feel very lucky compared to some of the horror stories above.

Rockgarden has a good selection of armour. Anybody make any recomendations for upper body protection? I have Roach leg and arm but my chest and spine could probably do with something as well.
    blah blah blah

1946:2006:2066

Broken Right Clavicle In Three Places

Quote Originally Posted by wmbarace
    Chris
    How true those words are, even more so if she witnessed the accident.

Mine didn't happen on my bike. I lost my footing on the stairs. Bounced half way
    down on my arse only to have my feet catch and launch me in to somersault
    impacting my right shoulder on the bottom step, crushing the top of the clavicle
    breaking it in three places. The pic is from three months after the surgery.
    The main break is almost filled in. The other two you can't see any more.

Last year (2004) I crashed my road bike breaking my pelvis in two places.
    A crack through the right hip socket and a fracture in the bottom lobe.
    No surgery required, just lots of rest.

What's interesting is that bothhave taken about the same amount of time to heal.
    Though the clavicle is/was the most annoying. For 2 to 3 months I was one handed
    with the wrong hand. Shaving became a dangerous endeaver.

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Sponsored by Xanax
    I'd bet some of you guys have trouble getting through the airport metal detectors.

I've been lucky, my worst crash was an endo on the road bike. Just a bunch of road rash and the ire of the riders in the paceline that I managed to knock down

I think I need to Upgrade
    On the bike in 2000 I was coming around a sweeping right hand curve on hard pack with a dusting of sand over it at about 25mph and the front wheel washed out on me and I pile drove my right knee into the ground which ended up grinding about a 3 inch diameter area off my knee and severly bruising the fluid sack under my knee cap. I couldn walk normal (couldn't bend my knee) for almost 8 weeks.

Off the bike, make sure you are sitting down for this.......

on 4-5-05 I was returning from my GFs place up north and I hit black ice at 45mph in my Ford Explorer and rolled 3 times. My injuries consisted of: Right side 1 broken rib, and severly bruised lung. Left side: Broken and dislocated Clavical, 4 broken ribs 2 of which punctured and collapsed my left lung, ruptured spleen (I was not stable enough for it to be removed it finaly stoped bleeding on its own) and a concusion with severe bruising to the left side of my head/face. I was airlifted down to the valley and spent a week in a medicaly induced coma which no one knew if I was going to live or wakeup from.

Quote of the day...."Every day you are alive is a good day, some days are better than others but every day is still a good day to be alive"

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    but he can still drink like a champ! cant ya freek? i was with him on his 1st ride back and even then hes no slouch.

me? i once got my feelings hurt real bad. other than that:

'72: cut my sack on the stem durrin a otb. thought it was a good idea to use a band aid. i was wrong.

'77: busted out my teeth in a fight, which i won, days after gettin my braces. you shoulda seen the other guy. no, really. ya shoulda. we became friends later.

'77: busted my teeth out again jumpin my bmx bike into a wooden pole. and no, that wasnt the plan. im dumb as a box of rocks but common people.

'94: 1st xc race; busted clavacal, scapula, 2 ribs in 4 places, tooth, hip, substancial concusion and still dont remember much of that day. so much for not pre-ridin the course. i walked out a mile before the copter took me in. oh, and i got the flu 3 days later. ever sneeze with 4 busted ribs? its so much fun the memory itself brings back the tears and the sobbing.

'94: same trail, 2 more busted ribs. finished that ride as it was the last one before it went to the golfers. yeah, i can be a tough sob when i wanna be.

'95: dbl compound fracture of the ulna and radius. almost lost my right arm. 2 surguries, a bit on my old busted hip in my new arm and years of rehab. still a major issue to this day. another case of goin way too fast on a trail id never seen before. youve all seen the xrays right?

'97: ac sepperation in a bmx race. took a pedal to the back and that was with a full daneies suit

'98: full ac sepperation in another bmx race. cased my shoulder into the last tripple. cant teach a old coot new tricks can ya?

'03: busted ankle. twisted my toes up to my shin then around to my calf when i got a toe spike stuck in the ice at aprox 2 mph. you can imagine the damage im sure. more pain than i care to remember. weeks of it. total sucking. yet another surgury didnt help matters much but a good doc fixed me up once again and its almost right besides all the limping. thanx john.

the worst one? my feelings for sure. scarred me for life. ill never get over it jm. hehe. i kid. me thinks its time to offer him up a dt spoke shaped into the likeness of a flower and start fresh.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Brass Nipples!
    I came off the bike in a race when I thought I was going to jump up onto a tabletop kind of jump and it ended up being a drop. I fell 6-8 feet and bounced once straight down onto the rear wheel, then came off the bike and tore open a deep blood blister over my right butt cheek just to the outside of the muscle. It held 6 ounces of blood when they drained it the first time. I was also purple from my waist to my ankle.

The surgeon had to drain it a total of 10 times to keep the thing from becoming a permanent fluid filled pouch. I was off the bike for 10 weeks. The injury didn't hurt too much, what really hurt was not being able to ride for that much time.

I've also broken my wrist and a couple of ribs. I was hit by a car once, but all I got was some huge bruises from that. Oh, and I guess I've probably lost a couple dozen square inches of skin over the years.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast