Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

My mouth hurted for a while

I landed hard on my face. Broke my cheek, my nose, my upper jaw, and wound up with 4 fake teeth on titanium screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill!"

Pale Rider
    Left knee shattered tibial plateau.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

mtbr member
    Haven't had too many injuries beyond scrapes and bruises, except a couple years ago.
    One wreck: Dislocated shoulder, displaced clavicle, fractured thumb, fractured sternum, some pulled/torn shoulder ligaments, and 9 stitches in my elbow and side.
    Good times.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Flipped over my handlebars doing Dowhill at Whistler and the bike smashed my head. No visible marks or bruising on my head, but once I started getting headaches, ended up at Squamish general with a concussion and a 600 dollar bill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man, you guys are making me feal bad. I went mountain biking for my second time today. I was flying on a downhill section and there was a big root then a right had turn. I didn't realize the root was there until I was airborne with no way to stop. I locked my rear brake in the air so when I landed I would start slowing down ASAP. I figured I wouldn't be able to make the turn, so new plan of action was just to go straight, and just crash off through the woods. The trail wouldn't have any of this nonsense, it wanted me to go right, I wanted to go straight, we met halfway and I just took a slight right. Guess what was also slightly to the right.......a tree. I managed to scrape my forearm, the side of my leg, and then kick the bejesus out of the tree. I launcehd of the bike bike, but my head/shoulder broke my fall about 10 feet later. I bent the double wall rim pretty bad, but my friend at the bike shop retrued it for me for free. RIght now I'm sitting with a bag of ice on my foot because my big toe is really swollen. Hopefully its not broken, cause I'm not going to the doctor.

huh?
    i know this is a common one...back in november somehow, i was riding and had my pedal down near the ground resting my legs and hit a small stump on the ground...foot somehow popped in front of the pedal and into the ground and big chainring proceeds to grind into my calf...received about 9 lovely bloody tattoos on my leg...stayed infected for about 2 wks and almost 8 months later still have some pretty ugly scarring from it..

geeser
    Apr 2009
    No real serious injuries other than bruised ribs. Isn't it funny though how much time you have to think about the pain as you are going over the bars and heading for sandstone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseslave
    No real serious injuries other than bruised ribs. Isn't it funny though how much time you have to think about the pain as you are going over the bars and heading for sandstone.
    Me too! I tried to pop over a couple of very small roots, washed out and landed on my rt. shoulder and bruised up my ribs on that side. The third day was the worse, i could barely get out of bed. I'm at work (4th day, not as bad today) and hope to be back in the saddle this weekend.

mtbr member
    Two years ago I pogo'ed off of a couple of 3' drops, over the handlebars and onto a soft bed of solid limestone. I split the top bone in my arm in two, at the end right, at the elbow.

The doc said, "This will take 12 months to get over." I thought, "No way, I will be back at it in 3." I carried a 5lbs weight in my left hand for months at work trying to get it to straighten out. It finally did...in about 12 months.

2 years later, it reminds me every ride after about 10 miles.

mtbr member
    What happened(pictures please)? crash 1 yr ago, now fundamentally recocverd from fractured c1, t3,t4 and concussion. But! Friday, was riding a fairly easy low intermediate trail, tried to pop over a couple of very small roots. Although I have sucessfull accomplished this several times before, somehow I caught the front wheel on something, over the bars onto my right side. It hurt like hell, but I could tell no broken bones.
    What broke?
    Ribs felt ok, it hurts to cough or laugh.
    How long were you out? Are you back riding yet?
    Day after felt no to bad but 3rd day I almost couldn't sit up and get out of bed. 4thday, I'm getting better, and will probably do some road biking this coming Memorial Day.

How's your riding now? Any long-term effects? now I have the residual from last years injuries, coupled with this weekends fun. I am keep Tylenol in business!

How much did it cost you?
    no money, only pain,
    How's the bike?
    the bike only got dirty, nothing broken or bent. I didn't feel like cleaing it with sore ribs.
    heh! Today I part of me misses riding and the other doesn't really want to look at a mt. bike for a while.

mtbr member
    Sorry no pics. I lost about 10% movement in my left arm forever I guess. This is not from lack of trying to bend it all the way either. I spend hours in agony trying.

I actually cracked my helmet's foam but the shell kept it together. I guess it saved me from a serious head injury.

It cost me about $2k when it was all done.

I was back on the bike in 6 months but nothing too hard for about 10 months and not from lack of trying either. The arm just would not work right.

The wreck blew the seals on my fork and it puked all of the fluid out of it. It was junk anyway. It is a Trek 4500 and I think that they made them from some indistructable metal from outer space. I am still riding it now...with the same wrecked fork. It sucks but almost have enough money packed away for my next bike, a G.F. Hifi.

Yes, it hurts a little, every ride. But, it is just a little less each time and I stirve for better fitness. It used to hurt after the first mile and now it is aroudn mile 8.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Back when I was 15, my buddy and I decided to get our old BMX bikes out and jump them into the river. We set a small ramp on the end of his pier and jumped off many times. After about 30 minutes, the pier is soaking wet, I came down the hill and onto the pier and the ramp fell into the water. I hit the brakes on the bike and, seeing how I was on wet wood with really bald tires, the bike washed out from under me. I flew in the air and next thing I knew I was on shore trying to breath. I gained composure after 30 min or so and looked at the pier. The posts come to a dull point on top and the entire pier was canted to the side about 10". From what my buddy told me (I totaly blacked it out), I flew from my bike and landed on one of the posts with my chest and went into the water. He looked for me under the water for a minute or so and finaly was able to drag me to shore. Went to the hospital and had xrays taken. I had tore my sternum on one side and seperated it from my ribs on the other. The doctor said I should be dead after taking a blow to the heart like that. I still have a dent in my chest from where my sternum USED to be and a huge chunk of scar tissue/relocated sternum right under it.

Needless to say, that buddy was my best man in my wedding.

FresnoGiant

Worst Injury

Broken scafoid in my left wrist a couple years ago. Trying a technical descent that I was not ready to be trying. Worst part was it was on Father's Day.

mtbr member

Compound/spiral Tib + oblique Fib fracture; surgery

Now I've got more titanium inside my leg than on a small-sized Litespeed frame-set... My season is OVER. Happened on a training ride two weeks ago for the Canada Cup and I was alone, so I spent an hour and a half holding my leg together just right so that I wouldn't pass out until I finally got a signal on my mobile phone to get help. After ten years of racing MX and riding MTB for 15, this is my first broken bone (I've had an AC/SC separation and two dislocated fingers), so I was due... And I made up for lost time. Brutal thing was that it didn't even happen through super-techy section of trail (I always back-off 5% in these sections when riding alone, even doing a race sim) - it happened coming out of a simple, flat corner when I washed-out the front end after miscalculating the available traction (and running a little too much tire pressure - Stan's conversion, here I come!). For some reason, I decided not to clip-out and save it and then just decided to go down with the slide. The ground then ripped my foot off the pedal facing 180 degrees backwards. Why couldn't this have happened in October? Gotta love Canadian universal health care. Enjoy the pics!
    Tired of costly ads? Try our "Marketing Publicity";
    www.loudspeakercommunications.com
    info@loudspeakercommunications.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman762
    Now I've got more titanium inside my leg than on a small-sized Litespeed frame-set... My season is OVER. Happened on a training ride two weeks ago for the Canada Cup and I was alone, so I spent an hour and a half holding my leg together just right so that I wouldn't pass out until I finally got a signal on my mobile phone to get help. Brutal thing was that it didn't even happen through super-techy section of trail (I always back-off 5% in these sections when riding alone, even doing a race sim) - it happened coming out of a simple, flat corner when I washed-out the front end after miscalculating the available traction (and running a little too much tire pressure - Stan's conversion, here I come!).
    the metal detectors are going to love you! Yes I know your pain!
    Ive had two on simple training runs that I have been over many times. the first on a down hill, I took a different line hit a boulder, results concusion, compressed and fractured c1, t3 and t4, that was last year. and yes it did hurt!! this year, it was flat and a missjudged popping a couple of small logs that I could have simply rolled over. results sore ribs and probably torn connective tissue. I'm on my third week, i fore see probably a monthe off the bike and starting all over again.
    as you can see in this thread, though you may feel alone, your are not.
    speedy recovery!
    Wayne

mtbr member

Crap

I have recently started mountain biking, and have been riding my old peice of crap raliegh serengeti, I have excelled quickly in single track, technical, and light downhill. I usually ride with my buddy who's been goin hard for about 4 years. So with a bunch of buds, we go to this abandoned ski hill, hes been raving about. I was ripping up the trail on the way there, but it was evident it was gunna be a bad day. One kid lost his pedal, another wrecked his tube. So we get to the hill and im just starting to get rolling and I hear in my head, oh crap, im not ready for this, i look down, and the hill 200meters long, straight down, 3meters wide, and littered with lose fist sized rocks. so 50m down, my back tires are drifting, and i turn way left, i hit the ground rolling, (im wearing knee/shin pads, gloves, and a helmet), and i dont even stick my arm out, but my side wrist was taking a lot of the blow. I get up, my buddy shout: " u ok?' i reply, " my wrist is broken. Evreyone rushes down concerened. We use my pads as a sling, and i then get delivered to the hospital via freinds parents. So at this point, my wrist looks like a fork, tht is slighly twisted ( wish i had pics), the nurses all are saying this is the wrost theyve ever seen, after x rays, im informed ive broken both bones in my wrist, 4 compound fractures, and i need surgery. I know have like 5 screws in my arm, and im outta the saddle for 6 weeks, and summer just started. Fist thing i get when i heal?? new kona blast 'o9 So i dont think i did to bad for newbie? (the buddy's mtbr account is headstrong 356, apparently hes a veteran on the forums)

Do it all or nothing
    Hope you get better man... And the DH course was really hard, not maintained and 100% natural. Last week some guy broke his neck on the hill... time to use my employe discount and hook the boys up with armour. Damn is the hill hard. Last week a kid broke his neck. Time to pull out the employe discount and hook up the boys with armour and the real goods. As a mechanic the bike is offiacially bust. The frame has slop and blown hubs. I have never seen such a bad bike ripped on like that. Well he sure is killing it.
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Broke:
    nose
    fibula
    both wrists
    both ankles
    multiple fingers and toes
    couple knuckles
    jaw
    left arm
    left collarbone (twice)
    multiple ribs
    right foot
    right hand
    cracked skull (small crack)

compressed vertabrae
    sprained back (that really sucks)

And 9 concussions

There's lots of sprains and soft tissue stuff, but I forgot most of those. Kinda hard to single out which is the most serious. One of the concussions had me out for a long time and left me with memory problems, so I'd have to say that qualifies as my most serious.

mtbr member

all at once?

I assume these were all separate injuries! heh! You've bee a very busy boy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Most of them were separate. I like to spread out the breaks so my body has time to heal for the next one. Walking on crutches with a broken collarbone and broken foot is challenging. I tell ya, it helps to have an understanding (and supportive) girlfriend.

A friend of mine broke both scapulas once and both arms were immobile for a couple months. He told me that he really found out who his friends were when it was time to go to the bathroom.

mtbr member
    my other hobby is rc cars/ trucks. I race vicariously, and when I crash it doesn't hurt, just the pocket book. just saying.

idigscars
    Aug 2009
    Broke my collarbone on a dj'er when I was in high school thats has been the worse of the injuries

Did I catch a niner?
    Double post

Did I catch a niner?
    Broke:
    Arm twice in same place

Lacerated:
    My scrotum

I dare any man to beat this.

pink

Cross Country Rider
    Jan 2007
    In the same crash

Cut botton lip 3-4 stiches
    Nucked down the 2 front upper teeth and a few chipped teeth in button row
    Fractured right scaffold bone
    Bruises on my right arm and shoulder.
    Scraps in left leg.

I ride both mtn and road and during a collegiate road race last year in Massachusetts, I took a turn too wide and end up crashing into the road guard rail. Flew into a sing post in the other side of the guard rail, where I smashed my face and thanks to my helmet I only ended up with the damage listed above to my face.

I physically recovered in about 8 to 9 weeks and slowly started riding soon after with a supported right wrist. Finally 3 days ago I got my teeth fixed after a year of wearing a fake tooth since my insurance didn't cover the tooth implant.

Here is a pic of the helmet

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast