I Ride Bikes

road carnage...I should just stick to the trails.

Today I had an awesome ride at one of the more technical trails here. Lot of roots, slippery stuff, mud...etc. I even did it a faster pace too. So naturally when I got home I was still pumped. I always spray my bike down and go for a couple of laps on my street to help dry it out. I also need to add that it was already nighttime and dark when I got home. So on my last few hundred meters I go to jump back onto the sidewalk from the road. The sidewalk has a gravel center too, which doesn't help traction. I hit it at a terrible angle and go flying off my bike. I'm also not wearing a shirt cause I just came home from riding. It's a good thing I was still wearing my long knee pads. I end up skidding on the right side of my body with my forearm and shoulder taking most of the hit. My back also has little scratches here and there. I have a small cut above my left knee cap too. My abdomen is bright red, but luckily no scratches. Let me tell you the showering and cleaning process hurt like a biatch! It was worse than the actual fall. As I type this I can see the blood soaking through the guaze.

So I learned a valuable lesson tonight. Don't ride at night with no shirt! It probably won't end well.

This is the back of my right forearm below the elbow...

My right shoulder...

I would have more pics, but the pain was unbearable and I knew I had to clean it asap. I'm right handed so the next couple of days will be interesting.

I Ride Bikes
    I also wish I would have been wearing my elbow pads. I think the damage would have been way less. oh well, live and learn.

Natural Born Killer
    There has to be a name for this kind of syndrome, where you're just casually screwing around in the yard, the driveway, the neighborhood, whatever and end up getting hurt. I've done it more times than I care to think about. At least you didn't split your head open like the guy in the "always wear your helmet" thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I would have more pics, but the pain was unbearable and I knew I had to clean it asap. I'm right handed so the next couple of days will be interesting.
    Road rash hurts -- big time. I'd much rather slide on dirt.

Smear with generous helpings of neosporin or similar ointment. Then buy some combi-pads or similar trauma dressings. Wrap everything nicely using some self-adhesive wrap. The ointment+padding+pressure usually eases the pain. That's the approach I took earlier this summer when I went body-surfing () around a paved corner in a nearby subdivision.

Showers stung for a few days.

Many like the Tagederm dressings. I've never used those, but others might chime in.

mtbr member
    bummer hope you heal quickly
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

I Ride Bikes
    Thanks for the support and advice guys.

mtbr member
    Mazu, I don't know if you've heard this yet. It is "I was just riding along...." Used on many occasions, especially when people try to return broken stuff for warranties or replacements. I think this fits here too. Hope the healing is quick so you can get back out and "engage" again......Top Gun!!

I Ride Bikes
    yea, it looks better today, but my road rash on my stomach hurts bad. It got redder over night too.

mtbr member
    You're fine Suck it up, thats just a scrape.

IME, the bandages cause an amount of pain and discomfort from pulling your skin. For road rash, keep them on at night so you dont roll around on them. During the day, clean them up and smear neosporin +pain on them and leave uncovered. Do it repeatedly during the day. You might need a bandaid on the shoulder to stop shirts rubbing. Once the blood stops, some air is good.

I Ride Bikes
    I think I'm lucky that I didn't break a bone. I was going pretty fast when I took the spill. So yeah, I'm happy that it's just a scrape. It could have been lot worse.

thanks for the advice. I wish I could clean it throughly during the day, but that's almost impossible when I'm at work.

I am using Neosporin generously to help keep the guaze from sticking to the cut at night. I also change it before I go to work and put lots of Neosporin. The cuts start to sting when I start sweating at work though. I can't do anything about that. I just have to suck it up!

mtbr member
    Definitely pickup some of the neosporin +pain relief. It works really well! Road rash really is the worst, it just plain hurts, hope you heal up soon.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    There has to be a name for this kind of syndrome, where you're just casually screwing around in the yard, the driveway, the neighborhood, whatever and end up getting hurt. I've done it more times than I care to think about. At least you didn't split your head open like the guy in the "always wear your helmet" thread.
    And it's especially probable if your're used to ride with pads but once in a while decide to go for a quick ride without them. Instant hurt recipe!
    26" faithful.