Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Bike Wrench

Riding with a ostomy bag

Due to a recent severe illness I had my colon removed and am currently living with an ileostomy. Down the road I may have more surgery to correct this but for the immediate future (6 month minimum) I am living with a bagging system. It actually doesn't bother me except the location is a little above my waistline so I am concerned about shorts/pants with a waist band across the bag and all the motion on the bike.

My thought is bib shorts and tights/knickers, I have a pair of bibs for road riding so I know how they fit. Seems the lack of a waist band would be perfect. Not keen on the lycra riding off-road (remember, no waist band wanted so no overshorts) but at the same time riding is the most important thing.

Does anyone else on MTBR ride with an ostomy? Any tips would be great, thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No, I don't ride with one, but I do ride in bibs all the time. I don't particularly have any problem wearing my road gear out on the mountain bike. If that is comfortable for you, I say just do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You can wear the bib under a set of baggies. I have friend who prefers this.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by wilonpill View Post
    You can wear the bib under a set of baggies. I have friend who prefers this.
    Thanks, but this doesn't address the waistband across the bag issue as mentioned in my initial post.

Work in Progress
    Sep 2009
    Maybe a velcro binder kind of thing. Big enough so that the waistband doesn't rub up and down against the bag.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wear bibs, or whatever you want. No one will give you any grief about it, because you're a bada$$ for going out to ride after illness. Hats off to you sir.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseRoadie View Post
    1/3 the price (or less) and very nicely made. I just picked up two and they will work for all kind of uses including cycling.

ostomysecrets - stylish ostomy underwear and ostomy undergarments for men and women

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    1/3 the price (or less) and very nicely made. I just picked up two and they will work for all kind of uses including cycling.

ostomysecrets - stylish ostomy underwear and ostomy undergarments for men and women
    Nice, let us know how it works out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This won't address your question for the short run, but it might in the long run.

Have you considered getting your ileostomy reverted into a continent pouch, like the BCIR?

BCIR - Barnett Continent Reservoir - for Brooke Ileostomies, ulcerativecolitis, FAP, failed Kock Pouches and J-Pouches

No raised stoma, no external appliances, no leaks, no discomfort at all. And you''re in control, not the bag.

Private Message me and I'll give you my experience of the procedure, now post-op 2 years. The BCIR gave me my life back and bike racing, too. I'm not selling anything or don't profit by referrals, I just know how important mountain biking, hiking, etc., was to me to get me through the ravages of UC, and I hope it might help someone else keep riding without discomfort, embarrassment, etc.

Brian K.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    use your camel...err poopback

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mmountainbiker View Post
    use your camel...err poopback
    Your a class act...

Former Bike Wrench
    Here is an update at 4 months since surgery.

I have been doing spin classes for the past two months using my Ostomysecrets wrap under my bibs which has worked just fine. I finally have made it back out on the trails. I was concerned about crashing so I picked up a product called Ostomy Armor.

Here I am back on the trail, I can ride just as well as I did before...probably better than the last few years since I am no longer sick!

Last edited by mtnbiker72; 12-27-2011 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Good for you. Glad to hear you feel good. keep the good fight!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow, that first ride must have been pure magic! Congrats on getting back out there! Weird thing about stuff like this is it makes you appreciate life a bit more. Health just can't be taken for granted, gotta appreciate every minute of it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Due to a recent severe illness I had my colon removed and am currently living with an ileostomy. Down the road I may have more surgery to correct this but for the immediate future (6 month minimum) I am living with a bagging system. It actually doesn't bother me except the location is a little above my waistline so I am concerned about shorts/pants with a waist band across the bag and all the motion on the bike.

My thought is bib shorts and tights/knickers, I have a pair of bibs for road riding so I know how they fit. Seems the lack of a waist band would be perfect. Not keen on the lycra riding off-road (remember, no waist band wanted so no overshorts) but at the same time riding is the most important thing.

Does anyone else on MTBR ride with an ostomy? Any tips would be great, thanks for your help.
    Much respect for you sir for finding a way to continue with your passion for riding.

on the path most traveled
    I have to agree with another post that this is truly an inspirational if not downright hard core display of mountain biking gravitas. Might I ask what illness other than tumors leads to the colon needing removal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ulcerative Colitis for one. Sometimes Crohn's Disease primarily affects the colon. There are probably many more but those two are bad enough.

Brian K.
    Member, Pisgah Area SORBA
    '08 GF HiFI Pro

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    I have to agree with another post that this is truly an inspirational if not downright hard core display of mountain biking gravitas. Might I ask what illness other than tumors leads to the colon needing removal?
    Ulcerative Colitis...I battled it for five years before losing my colon.

mtbr member
    I find this quite inspiring, dude! Many (most?) folks would give up on their passion. Props to you!
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Having lost my dad to colon cancer my hat off to you!!
    FWIW, I ride in spandex too and could care less what other riders say or think. I find it more comfortable than the baggy MTB shorts, Remember it is YOUR ride and life!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Pretty cool you guys are still able to roll with the ostomy bag. Had a good friend battle collitis for 2 years before finally getting his colon removed. He had a bag for 6 months but the docs were able to "reconnect the plumbing" so to speak. Its a terrible disease that almost took his life at one point (he was very close to dying of septic shock at one point right after surgery). Thankfully he was able to make a pretty full recovery.

anyways, awesome to see that the bag aint holdin ya back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've had Crohn's Ileitis for 13 years. No surgery yet but I would be silly to think I will get by with out at least a resection at some point. Just wanted to say it's good to hear someone post surgery doing well. Ride on my friend.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'm another victim of UC. Lost my colon at 26! 30 years old now and riding every bit as much as I used too in my teens

I never had any external appliances since I went straight to the BCIR that someone linked above so I can't help you out with your question. If you have the option, I'd highly recommend the BCIR

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Props man, I had 3 feet of intestine taken about a year ago due to Crohn’s. I gained 75+ pounds from steroids and am just now trying to get back on my bike. Thanks for posting this gives me hope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast