jmw
    mtbr member

New question here. Riding with arthritis?

I'm an avid rider and I've got psioratic arthritis. After a recent visit to the rheumotologist, and the doc wants to put me on methotrexate....

There are some side effects and other issues such as no drinking....no beer

just wondering if anyone else out there has experience with this therapy for arthritis?
    future nature

Bodhisattva
    what, specifically are you questions regarding methotrexate (MTX) and riding?

There are no concerns in regards to exercise and MTX. Lay off the booze and get your labs every 2 months.

Opinions on alcohol intake & MTX vary from physician to physician. Some docs preach total abstinence, some allow intake in light quantity. Discuss this with your doc and be honest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I deal with arthritis in knees. I did change my entire diet to cut out all sugars and other artificial substances that are added to foods that cause inflammation of the joints. I noticed that after eating a whole lot better, my arthritis improved tremendously. I take a regular dose of Chondroitin/Hyaluronic Acid (spelling?) and my diet also contains many natural foods that are also natural anti-inflammatories. I will always have arthritis from degeneration of my meniscus, but changing my diet has helped the most.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

jmw
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=The Squeaky Wheel]what, specifically are you questions regarding methotrexate (MTX) and riding?

QUOTE]

just curious if anyone is taking the med, and any side effects, and most importantly, the effectiveness of taking MTX?

I drink a fair amount of beer, but I'm willing to drop the habit if this drug can let me live pain free and reverse and inhibit the effects of the PA.
    future nature

Bodhisattva
    [QUOTE=jmw]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    what, specifically are you questions regarding methotrexate (MTX) and riding?

QUOTE]

just curious if anyone is taking the med, and any side effects, and most importantly, the effectiveness of taking MTX?

I drink a fair amount of beer, but I'm willing to drop the habit if this drug can let me live pain free and reverse and inhibit the effects of the PA.
    PsA is complicated. Not only does it make your joints stiff & swollen,but, left unchecked, it can rapidly cause permanently damage to your joints. Game over at that point...you can't get that joint back again.

Yes, MTX inhibit the symptoms of PsA. It can also inhibit the damage to your joints. It doesn't work for everyone, but is the standard of care 1st line therapy for PsA. There are many others, but MTX is the appropriate place to start for the vast majority of people.

Side effects......many to consider, few that actually occur. But it does require blood testing every 2 months. "Fair amounts of beer" and MTX generally don't mix well.

jmw
    mtbr member
    thanks Squeaky....it sounds like you're a real doc, not that you just play a doc on TV....

I talked to a family friend yesterday who's had RA for 35years and has been on MTX and she recommended it as well and has no real side effects.
    future nature

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by jmw
    thanks Squeaky....it sounds like you're a real doc, not that you just play a doc on TV....

I talked to a family friend yesterday who's had RA for 35years and has been on MTX and she recommended it as well and has no real side effects.
    Here are a few links to get you started.

http://www.psoriasis.org/netcommunit...atic_arthritis

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pso...hritis/DS00476

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I tried MTX. I didn't help my finger joints or my hip/knee pain. I also tried cortisone shots and they helped only a bit.

Even thought my PSA is relatively minor (I'm 28) I started to take Enbrel. Problem gone almost over night.

I have been on it for a year and no side effects so far, but I get blood tests almost every month. From my understanding, the risks associated with MTX are no less than the enbrel risks, but you should research all of your options.

Cheers,

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by ecsrun
    I tried MTX. I didn't help my finger joints or my hip/knee pain. I also tried cortisone shots and they helped only a bit.

Even thought my PSA is relatively minor (I'm 28) I started to take Enbrel. Problem gone almost over night.

I have been on it for a year and no side effects so far, but I get blood tests almost every month. From my understanding, the risks associated with MTX are no less than the enbrel risks, but you should research all of your options.

Cheers,
    The risk profiles of those two medicines are completely different. No better/worse.

Members who have read this thread: 0