mtbr member
    Mar 2012

riding with 3 broken ribs

I recently had a decent fall and landed on my arm smashing it into my ribs on my right sight. I broke 3 below my pectoral muscle. Any ideas on how to minimize discomfort while riding? I know the whole take it easy bit. Looking for tips to support them and help aid in keeping the jarring forces at bay while I heal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Trust me, listen to your doctor. If you puncture a lung or crash again, things can get very ugly. Having a chest tube is about as much fun as sticking hot pins in your own eyes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I hadn't thought about punctured lungs....... Bad deal there.....

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I did the same thing as you 2 weeks ago. Things were going well the first week then i rolled over funny in bed and the ribs popped out with i nice grinding and crack that woke me up so back to square one. but I can at least put my socks on again...yey.

They reckon 10 days for muscles to heal, 4-6 weeks for bones and 3 months plus for cartilage and ligaments. I think I have a bit of bone and ligament.

I am going to set up the wind trainer next week to get the legs moving again then will ride the road bike till all has healed up. Don't want another cropper and possible punctured lungs

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I went out for an easy ride today. Wrapped my ribs with an ace bandage. Seemed to help with vibration and what not. I think I can suffer through some light xc stuff till I heal and then can get back to djing and all mountain type stuff....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't ride. Heal up first. Totally new concept, yeah?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett