Thread: Rider DOWN!!

mtbr member

Rider DOWN!!

RIDER Down!!
    on: June 09, 2007, 01:20:24 PM Quote Modify Remove Split Topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It my deepest regret to inform the mountainbiking community of the loss of a local rider, my BEST friend and riding partner almost every weekend ...........Leon "Lee" Szcepanski. Lee passed yesterday morning riding the Bent Creek Trails in North Carolina while on the DW Pisgah Bus Trip. He evidently suffered a massive heart attack while riding alone between the lead and sweep groups and was given CPR for 45 minutes by riders on the trip before the Paramedics were able to get to him. He was pronounced dead on the scene and his body will be returned to South Florida as soon as arrangments are made. He was survived by his fiance Kathy, and his Parents and Sister from Arizona. Lee was a Lieutenant with the Miami-Dade public School Police and run their Bike patrol for several years. Lee just completed the National Mountain Bike Patrol and CPR/First Aid training with me and others just 2 weeks ago. Patrol members on the trip were the ones working to save Lee's life so diligently. I thank you for your tireless efforts as Lee would have done the same. This what it's all about. I am sorry I was not there riding with him. Lee rode a Black Santa Cruz Blur for those of you who might remember.

I will post the Funeral arrangements as soon as they are set. (June 19th and 20th,2007)

I am planning a group picinic and ride at Oleta River State Park tentatively on Sunday June 24, 2007 in memory of Lee. All of you are invited and this also coinsides with our Monthly Club Ride date that has been missing as of late, so let's ALL plan on being there and ride for LEE, celebrate his life, and mourn his loss. I am at this time going to ask everyone to bring beverages and a covered dish for this party in his honor. Lee often rode Oleta, Markham, Amellia(when I forced him) and loved riding at Quiet Waters when the trails were up and he was looking forward to the rebuilding of the NEW trails soon. Unfortunately he will not ride them with us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay....The Party and Ride for LEE on Sunday June 24th at Oleta River State Park will be centered at the Youth Camp Pavillion which is located just west of the main gate down the dirt road just before the Main Entrance Gate on the right hand side. It starts at 9:00am. There are barbeques there, bathrooms, outside showers, and the meats( chicken, hamburgers, and hot dogs) is arrainged for and provided by Active Cycles. We will have ice and coolers, so bring your favorite beverages. Please bring a covered dish or salad of some tasty desert. This area is secluded and private yet accessable to the trails and is just north of the entrance of Rocky Mile. All you need to do is show up and ride, eat, drink, be merry, and remember our fallen brother Lee.

Bring a beach chair and PM me if you have a 10 x 10 shade tent/canopy, if you can spare any for the day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------by GRAF
    I attended the viewing yesterday evening and it was poignant and sad but captured the essence of Lee very well. His bike and helmet were on display along with a giant collage of photos showing Lee enjoying the bus trips and local trails. Kathy put together a Powerpoint show that was projected on the wall in a seating room off the main salon. The slides traced Lee's life from a youngster through this month. Many of us were in the photos used in the presentation. It was a fitting send off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As Graf posted above, the viewing on Tuesday was a great testimony to Lee's Life. Lee's cousin Kyle did a power point presentation of family photos old and new that was touching and gave a glimpse from a little skinny legged, bowtie wearing nerdy kid to bowie knife weilding wild hog hunter. Todays service was an eye opener as to the man and his public service record with tesimonies from fellow officers and his commanding chief. To see the room, hallways, and adjoining rooms filled with friends, family, and black uniforms was an impressive sight. Thank you to all that was able to attend
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://one2ride.org/bulletin/index.p...tach=874;image

RIDER UP!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

Double-metric mtb man
    RIP Lee.

At least he went out doing something he loved.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    did autopsy reveal any congenital heart defects?

mtbr member
    Lee was bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider a few weeks before the trip up to North Carolina from the South Florida area. He was complaining of the steriods they gave him the week before. We suspect that the meds were the reason as we were up to those same trails a month before.Lee was fit and rode often at 52....3 to 4 times a week. He passed on the North boundary Road trail just 100 yards short of the Grreen's Lick downhill trail in the Bent Creek trail system outside of asheville. A full autopsy was not performed.

Yesterday we had a memorial Ride4Lee ride, gathering, and barbeque for Lee at Oleta River Sate Park in North Miami, Florida. The park folks planted a Tree in lee's honor at a favorite hang on top of the hill overlooking a trail so we can see it grow lap after lap! Approximately 150 people attended the event throughout the day. Friends, family, and riders rode and ate and reminesqued and rode and ate and drank and rode and ate and laughed and cried. A better time was not had in the mountainbiking community for a long time!

Ride In Peace.......BROTHER.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!