mtbr member

Reoccuring dislocation:shoulder: Exercises to do?

My shoulder is popping out for a second or 2 about 5 a day. Needless to say, it very painful. Although I guess there's reasons for it, it was not a result of a fall, even though it started a day after I had gone for a ride. I've made my first trip to a doctor, which he could pop it out with specific movements. X Rays show nothing. I am waiting for a MRI date. About 5 years ago I had some pain there, had some shots into the shoulder, but nothing. I decided against the 'lets operate' and it eventually went away, once I started sleeping on my other shoulder. But this far exceeds that discomfort, and its embarassing screaming out in pain at home and during business meetings. And most of all, Doc told me to stop riding.
    I sort of remember doing some shoulder exercises using therabands attached to doorknobs but was wondering if someone has any specifics or any supportive words.
    Thanks
    Bob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

mtbr member

Instability

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    My shoulder is popping out for a second or 2 about 5 a day. Needless to say, it very painful. Although I guess there's reasons for it, it was not a result of a fall, even though it started a day after I had gone for a ride. I've made my first trip to a doctor, which he could pop it out with specific movements. X Rays show nothing. I am waiting for a MRI date. About 5 years ago I had some pain there, had some shots into the shoulder, but nothing. I decided against the 'lets operate' and it eventually went away, once I started sleeping on my other shoulder. But this far exceeds that discomfort, and its embarassing screaming out in pain at home and during business meetings. And most of all, Doc told me to stop riding.
    I sort of remember doing some shoulder exercises using therabands attached to doorknobs but was wondering if someone has any specifics or any supportive words.
    Thanks
    Bob
    From what you describe I would say that you have Shoulder instability. Essentially, because of your anatomy, posture, or lack of muscular stability your shoulder joint is moving more than intended.
    I would do a search for 'Throwers Ten Exercises" this should get you started.
    It depends on which direction or directions you are unstable so only perform the exercises that don't give you pain or seem to cause further subluxation.
    Unless it is a gross instability, you should be able to make some progress through Physical therapy and exercises. If it does not prove to be enough then surgery is likely the route.

Good luck
    BoiseBoy

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Had my rotator cuff rebuilt for the same thing when I was 15 (26 years ago). I could pop it out on command, and it would fall out on it's own. Cause- road bike crash at about 30 mph.

Hopefully you will be able to get better without surgery.

mtbr member
    Boise Boy.......Excellent. Found and printed out the 'Throwers Ten Exercises' and I remember some of these from my previous experience.
    THANKS!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about you problem. I could not imagine having this as a recurring injury. That has got to be painful.

I am presently in therapy for a left shoulder dislocation after falling on some ice almost 2 months ago.

I have been using the bands at therapy and trying to get my arm above my shoulder, but its taking longer than I would like. The Doc said this happening to me for the first time at 37 was no cause to be concerned that it would be recurring if I let it heal properly.

I hope your able to get some relief. Good Luck.

conjoinicorned
    i had this problem! in both shoulders!

my left was so bad that it would come out at random. exercise did nothing...but surgery has fixed it quite good, i can still DH ride. it took a full year of rehab to get it feeling normal and be able to do very hard riding.

the right has responded well to physio, i do the throwers 10 as well as standard weights in the gym.

i see a chiro (for active release therapy) and it helps a great deal with keeping the range of motion good and pain free.

good luck!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Gone Bamboo
    Lmao, the technical term for this is called your Rotary Cuff. Mine was messed up awhile ago and I got an xray, nothing, went to the doctor, nothing. But going to a chiropractor worked for awhile and he showed me an exercise that will help. Basically, hold your arm up so that your arm is bent at the elbow but your elbow is straight up and then moved your arm backwards and you should hear a pop in your shoulder, this is your rotary cuff popping back into place (the ball on the arm going into the shoulder socket). it is very painful and sometimes not even dislocated it is just ripped or damaged. This happens from popping it in and out.

Hopefully this helps you out, I don't even feel the sharp pain in my shoulder anymore and it use to be there all the time.
    National Economic Security And Reformation Act

mtbr member
    well, I'm doing the throwers 10 and stretching and such. It has gotten about 40% better. (very scientific, right) But everytime I think its better, and I reach forward for something, it seems to pop out.
    I'm going back and forth about getting the MRI. I'm hugely MRI claustrophobic, and there's no way I'm getting in a closed MRI without SERIOUS drugs. I thought 3 valiums would do it, as it did in the open MRI that I've had in the past, but the doc says it could slow and even stop my breathing, and that would be a bad thing. (no foolin') So he wants to put me in the hospital and do it there. Man, this is a lot of work for a guy I've seen for 5 minutes and one visit.
    The good news is that I rode my road bike 2x this weekend, and I did ok, although about 3 times yesterday if did feel like it was loose. Man, that's an uncomfortable feeling. I got on my mtb for a few minutes and it seemed ok too. But I'm not going to mess with that too much for fear of falling at a bad moment. And you know it'll be right on the shoulder!
    I have a line on another doctor, one that is recommended from the family, so maybe I'll look him up.
    Any idea as to any doctor feedback sites on the web? I'd like to look them up.
    Thanks and stay safe.
    SBob.

mtbr member
    Hey Ray,
    Sometimes good things come from bad situations. Like snow on the trails........I took up snow shoeing and road biking........... Don't ride with a some guys anymore......I'm spending more quality time with the family, and bought a tandem and am riding with them. Also found new guys to ride with.......new friends. So maybe the hiking will be cool and you'll also pick something else up or make some new friends. (Dag, that's positive! )

S.Bob

PS: enjoy the meds!

mtbr member
    I dislocated twice this year. Violent dislocations. Second one tore my labrum.

Fortunately I got off by starting low-intensity exercises with therabands, as mentioned, among other things. Eventually progressed to lifting weights. Building muscle around the area was my therapist's suggestion. Muscle, he said, would make it stronger and prevent it from exiting its socket.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - third time around is mandatory surgery, so if anyone has the motivation not to dislocate, it's me.