mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Recumbent Mountain Bike neck injury solution??

I have had several neck and spine injuries over the years and now have c-1,c-5 and c-7 issues which have had me off the bike for the past two years. After lots of therapy I can now get through the day but still cannot ride a conventional bike. Even with a riser stem and ape hanger bars my head tilts slightly backwards and the vibration transmitted through the arms to the shoulders and neck aggravate the nerve issues in my neck. I am considering purchasing a Lightfoot Ranger recumbent bike with rear suspension as a last ditch effort to continue riding even if it must be limited to non technical single track and fire roads. Anybody out there have any experience with recumbent mountain biking? the Ranger had good reviews a few years ago on the dirt at Interbike???

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Lightfoot ranger and back problems

Hi,
    I had a string of back problems that resulted in me giving up riding for 2 years. I then bought the Ranger and have not had a problem since. I ride off road over very mixed terrain and can ride the same tracks as others on diamond frame bikes. Mostly I can keep up with them. When I can't I blame it on them being half my age.
    Mine does not have rear suspension (I am in the process of making it) but is able to cope with most of what I throw at it - just gets a bit bumpy at times on 6 inch type rocks.
    Nice comfy seat and no neck / wrist / back ache is nice. Very little vibration comes up through the bars. I have the linkage steering option which gives a nice feel. I have not ridden the standard bar option so can't compare.
    My leg muscles are still adapting but can now ride 20% gradients ok.
    This is my first recumbent and am pleased. The limitations are few (large turning circle, weight and having to stop to talk to people who wonder what it is) and above all it meant I could ride again.
    Hope this helps,
    Mark