Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Toller Mom

Big day

Tomorrow is a BIG DAY. I have been wearing the bone stimulator for my non/delayed union of my tib for over a month now. I have Xrays at 8am to check the growth and I either get the good news- your bone is healing or bad news- you have to have another surgery.
    It will be 6 months post break on Jue 27th and all I want is to be walking without a cast at that time.
    I am also going to the Mumford & Sons concert tomorrow, and I am hoping to do it without this big air cast.
    Wish me luck fellow MTBers and maybe I will be back on a trial (even if it is just the C&O) before the end of the year.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by smitham View Post
    Tomorrow is a BIG DAY. I have been wearing the bone stimulator for my non/delayed union of my tib for over a month now. I have Xrays at 8am to check the growth and I either get the good news- your bone is healing or bad news- you have to have another surgery.
    It will be 6 months post break on Jue 27th and all I want is to be walking without a cast at that time.
    I am also going to the Mumford & Sons concert tomorrow, and I am hoping to do it without this big air cast.
    Wish me luck fellow MTBers and maybe I will be back on a trial (even if it is just the C&O) before the end of the year.
    Good luck Leg recovery seems really slow. 4 months post-op ACL here, and I'm nowhere near 100%.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Toller Mom
    Good news, the bone is healing so no surgery. I can finally start migrating out of the air cast as little more every day. Stll wearing the bone stim at night and hope to see more growth next month.
    You are right Stripes, legs take a long time to heal! I will be 6 months post break & op on June 28th!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    injuries suckkkkkkkkkkkkk

Toller Mom
    Great day yesterday. I rode my bike on the C&O rail trail. I got dusty, muddy and sweaty and it felt great. And I finally got my new bike dirty. This has been a long almost 6 months and I have a long way to go yet, but I cannot even begin to express how much joy I had pedlaing my bike and hearing the wind in my ears. And today my tooshy is sore

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ..about a year ago I came to this thread to post about an ACL replacement.4 months ago I had a torn shulder ligament..the right one...and about two weeks ago same thing on the left one...it`s healing pretty good I think,

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Memo View Post
    ..about a year ago I came to this thread to post about an ACL replacement.4 months ago I had a torn shulder ligament..the right one...and about two weeks ago same thing on the left one...it`s healing pretty good I think,
    How's your ACL doing? I'm 4.5 months post-op and still not quite myself. The surgical leg is stronger, but things like stairs still aggravate my leg. Now my PT has me icing with the knee bent to calm down the quad tendons.

Quote Originally Posted by smitham View Post
    Great day yesterday. I rode my bike on the C&O rail trail. I got dusty, muddy and sweaty and it felt great. And I finally got my new bike dirty. This has been a long almost 6 months and I have a long way to go yet, but I cannot even begin to express how much joy I had pedlaing my bike and hearing the wind in my ears. And today my tooshy is sore
    Congrats Awesome feeling, isn't it. Mostly building muscle and ROM now, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I remember those days when I had a new bike and about ...mm 6months I`d say after surgery.

My and one of my best friends had torn acl at the same time ( strange coincidence )...and I can tell..that the all thing is different from one person to the other. Mine.. I`d say it`s pretty much 100% perfect...just some pain when I need to go to the max knee bending, but my friend just don`t feel anything. Yeah...I`d say that one of the things that kept me away from reaching the level of riding I had was the mental factor because of course..you`ll feel like you can snap it again pretty easy..which it`s totally wrong.
    Yeah you need to do muscle and stretching, and the gym it`s the best because there you can control things much better than just riding...I remember riding my bike to the gym everyday..

I heard that it takes up to three years for the knee to be normal..and I think it`s true...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Joining the ACL bandwagon here. Completely severed mine spring skiing late May, had ACL reconstruction surgery using a graft from my hamstring 2 weeks ago. Pain meds are great for pain, but man they sure mess up your stomach.. at least for me. I'm still on crutches, allowed about 50% weight bearing in PT. Ironically, my brother tore his ACL 2 months ago, and we were operated on by the same surgeon. He's about 8 weeks out now and walking fine. I was in awesome shape from running 80 miles per week for college track, now my left leg is 2/3 the size of my right with no muscle definition.

Bummer is I just bought a GT Sensor (haven't been able to ride it yet!) for when I move to Moab, UT in August, and now I probably can't ride until late fall or winter! doh! I've spent hours tweaking it and setting it up. Wish I hadn't let my friend talk me into that $20 spring skiing ticket.

Also, I'm humbled by your reports after breaking your leg. That's rough.

*As far as what I do to burn up time.. being on the computer and TV unfortunately take up a lot. But I've found working on the bikes and anything non-electronic is more rewarding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    more or less thesame happened to me....I bought an enduro ktm motorcycle...and then snaped my ligament a month after that...I kept the motorcycle for a while...but I knew I would have to keep it in the garage for a long time so I sold it...that's a bummer

mtbr member
    By chance, I found an easy therapy for joint issues. Ive had neck, back, rib and knee injuries, from mild to almost... This week to strengthen my core and lupper body, I started to swim laps for the first time in 40 yrs, Wow! 50 meters is a long way, I started doing 50 meters entervals and resting,(gasping and stretching!) for 1000 meters. Second time I added kick boards. My muscles are sore, but the added bonus to swimiming was that I found that my knee (chronic) started to feel better and stronger after the 2nd session. I believe the swimming will strengthen not only my knee, it wil strengthen my arms/cherst/back and shoulder which will in turn strengthen my back and neck. to be totally honest it is cool during the summer heat and fun, A lot less painfull than a lot of other things!

Ive heard the fluid therapy was good for joint issues, but never paid any attnetion to this notion.
    So far I have quicker positive results from swimming than, Chiropractors, strengthening excersizes, electro stym, physcial therapy, elastic knee support,

keep riding
    Wayne

of course the best therapy is riding!!

29er for life!!
    I broke my right wrist last week. I have to wear a cast for 6 weeks.I was trying my new 29er on a trail I had never ridden,should have waited till I was use to my bike,very technical trail.Just wondering if any of you guys ever broke your wrist and how long before you rode again,thanks

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMt.Biker View Post
    I broke my right wrist last week. I have to wear a cast for 6 weeks.I was trying my new 29er on a trail I had never ridden,should have waited till I was use to my bike,very technical trail.Just wondering if any of you guys ever broke your wrist and how long before you rode again,thanks
    For me, it was 4 months, but I broke my scaphiod, crushed the distal head of the radius and broke off the ulnar styloid. Surgery and an external fixator made of carbon fibre. I had to be in a sling so my should was frozen for a while too, so it took me a while to get my full strength back.

If you want to revive a thread where a lot of people posted about their wrists (I had a lot of time to reply being on medical leave), check out:
    Broken wrist

Had to make some modifications to my bike setup because of the weak wrist:
    - Move to Shimano shfiters (lighter action) because SRAM really requires a strong thumb, which is affected by the scaphoid
    - Move the Gravity Dropper control to the left side, since I broke the right wrist

Toller Mom
    I was declared "heeled" this past Wed. That is AWESOME. Not awesome, the leg healed slightly crooked. Dr said that they type of break I had is prone to off set healing due to the way it was twisted. I can live with it. July 27th will be 7 months post break and I am riding, but only on flat trail. I am back at the gym, I have 10 lbs to lose. I still have a limp, but Dr says that is due to extreme atrophy in the calf. I have another surgery in Oct to remove screws, but I get to keep the rod in the tibia forever.
    I really hope to not ever need to post in this thread again, unless it is to update progress. This has been a long road. Good healing to all of you still on your journey!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

broke TIB and FIB, rod inserted

I am one month post broken leg, I hate this! I was a very active guy...it feels like my leg will never be the same..any advice?

Toller Mom

Advice

Quote Originally Posted by steverfever54 View Post
    I am one month post broken leg, I hate this! I was a very active guy...it feels like my leg will never be the same..any advice?
    I am 7 months post break of the right tib/fib. The first few months suck hard. Wish I could say the next few months are better, but that will all depend on your WB status and what you can and cannot do. Go to mybrokenleg.com it is a great forum where you can keep a diary and go to the advice forum. Everyone there either has or has had a broken leg and there are a few of us MTBers on there who can all comiserate with you.
    I am just now back to riding, but only on flat dirt. Which is no fun compared to the XC I like, but it is better than nothing!

Here is my biggest advice, exercise however you can and watch what you eat. The first 4 months I lost weight and thought I was OK. The last 2 months I gained 10lbs. What was happening is I was losing muscle, that was why I lost the weight. What I gained is so not muscle and I am now at the point where I can do no impact cardio again. So just keep an eye on the calorie intake my friend.

As far as your leg never being the same, if your experience is like mine then it will not ever be. I get the screws out Oct 14th, I keep the rod FOREVER. And due to the way I broke the tib the leg has healed slighty off set and there is nothing that can be done. I know, keep getting better right?

But you will be OK, and you will be back on your bike. It might be a year from now, but you will be back. In the mean time suck up all the attention and take care of yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    First - GREAT news smitham! It is a long difficult road but you made it. I also have and "offset leg". But I'm so happy to be walking & riding & everything, I don't care.

Steverfever - read back thru all the posts here. You are not the first one to go thru this but everyone's experience is different. I never knew about the mybrokenleg.com but I wish I had. Your leg may never be normal again. But in my case it is functional and that is SSSSSOOOO much better than it was. Good luck to you. Post up here or at mybrokenleg. Those who have been thru it will help anyway we can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys, I am thankful for the support, I looked back like you said and def don't feel like I'm the only one, this friday I go to the OS, I'm in a splint right now, so I wonder if they'll change that? So SMITHAM, you and I are very much the same broken leg wise, did you say in another post you had compartment syndrome? Thats what rocked my world, my outside leg has such a big nasty wound that is skin grafted but looks like a football size open wound, so wondering if anyone has the same, I would post picks but woot! its GROSS!!! Has anyone with a TIB and FIB break and inserted ROD ever feel the non rod bone move or click when lifting your leg off the pillow? It feels awful! Thankfully it stopped but was freaking out when it was happening... ps I friggin miss downhillin like nothing else ever.

Toller Mom
    Steverfever54- yes I had compartment syndrome. Cuts on both side of the calf to correct. They are not very big cuts though, compared to video I have watch of the procedure on youtube. About 3.5 inches on the left side of the calf and about 5 inches on the right. Being almost 7 months post op I would say that the healing is pretty darn good. I posted picks, I think they are on page 1 of this thread.
    I never had a click when lifting the leg.
    You are just one month in and you have a long way to go. Don't watch too many downhill videos, you will just upset yourself more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had pressure because my inside slice is about ten inches long and my outside is 15 inches long and about 5 inches wide, my skin just peeled back from the pressure...staples holding a large skin graft now fill the open wound, this all happened from a simple broken leg, I'll never forget this.... And yes, DH videos hurt watching sometimes, but sometimes they keep me positive and motivate me to get thru this, even tho everyone doesn't want me to ride like that again, I know I'll find myself back on the bike and railing lines, It will just take time, this thread helps a lot knowing that you're not alone, I mean it sucks ass that we have to suffer but thats the name of the game...when it first happened I was in so much pain that I was freaked out that I would never ride again, well I'm still broken but getting stronger. I can feel it...but DAMN IT! its gonna be a looong road...

mtbr member

losing my mind???

Well luckily I have mtbr for entertainment! I've been off bike now for 2 weeks and I have 2-3 weeks to go before I'll be able to get on bike again. Knee injury,pattelar tendonitis due to uneven growth of my quads...well anyways I've been doing a nice sit and lift routine with light dumbells,washing my bike,and absolutely losing my mind!!!

Work in Progress
    Sep 2009
    Some sites I recommend:
    mybrokenleg.com and Physical Therapy Exercise Videos - Cyber PT

I'm approaching the 3rd week since my injury and doing PT at home. I started watching mtb videos initially but it just upsets me that I can't ride so I cut that out for now...lol

The most important part to recovery is a healthy and positive outlook and physical therapy while on the road to recovery.

fibula fx ankle dislocation

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm interested in in how people deal with computers and typing after arm/hand injuries. Any stories?

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by onehandkeyboard View Post
    I'm interested in in how people deal with computers and typing after arm/hand injuries. Any stories?
    Right wrist injury here, 4.5 years post-op.

I had to go with lighter touch keyboards, shifters, etc. Finally switched to Shimano Saints for brakes, and they're much easier on my hand/wrist than the others. Switched from SRAM to Shimano shifters 4 years ago because there was no right hand strength to shift the SRAM.

Fortunately, Macs have a light touch keyboard. My Dell, not so much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Was there a time where you couldn't use your right hand to type at all? Or were you able to type with your cast/splint on?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast