Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Toller Mom
    Well you are right, an active recovery is better. Sadly my recovery will take months, and I have to stay inactive. Wish I liked to play video games, but they annoy me. Thank goodness for the Internet and book, and thank goodness I can work from home!

Team Chilidog!
    i'm going to have a difficult time for the first few weeks I'm sure.

Fortunately, I have a big enough indoor hobby (buidling LEGO sculptures and mosaics) that should keep me quite busy. I'll have to make sure when I'm cleared to walk again, crutches or not, that I get out to the track and walk.

I hate exercises bikes, but fortunately, a friend is lenidng me a slick tire and a fluid trainer, and another friend is lending me MTB movies to help keep me going when I get to that part of my recovery.

The other good news is I have plenty of shows I want to catch up on, and I work from home (the office is on the other end of the country from me). You know what makes this interesting? I would have my surgery NOW if they would do it. I'm so sick of the pain on in the inside of knee and being so limited, it's not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by smitham
    Well you are right, an active recovery is better. Sadly my recovery will take months, and I have to stay inactive. Wish I liked to play video games, but they annoy me. Thank goodness for the Internet and book, and thank goodness I can work from home!
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Toller Mom

Pain Advice

So tomorrow will be the end of week three post injury. I am baffled at the pain, how it comes and goes and what to do to manage it effectively. I have percocet, but I feel the sooner I stop taking them the better. I am down to 2 pills a day, and I take them at night. This is down from two pills at a time every four hours. But during the day I either feel real pain, or minor discomfort with no real trigger to make one go to the other. WTH, how do I deal with this? Any advice can help. Tylenol is my other option, but when I take it I get no relief.

Warrior's Society
    Keep your leg/foot elevated.

It is going to hurt.....you broke your leg.....just gotta learn to deal with it. Eventually it will go away.

I got off the pain meds during the day pretty quick.....didn't like the way they made me feel. I did continue to take them at night, just to help me sleep for a few weeks....but got off them as soon as I could.

I moved on to Ibuprofin/Advil when I needed it.....but got off the heavy narcotics.

I have a bigger tolerance for pain....than some.

I felt much better after surgery...once the bones were set/stable and screwed together....but was still in a fair amount of discomfort even 6 weeks after the break.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Toller Mom

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    Keep your leg/foot elevated.

It is going to hurt.....you broke your leg.....just gotta learn to deal with it. Eventually it will go away.

I got off the pain meds during the day pretty quick.....didn't like the way they made me feel. I did continue to take them at night, just to help me sleep for a few weeks....but got off them as soon as I could.

I moved on to Ibuprofin/Advil when I needed it.....but got off the heavy narcotics.

I have a bigger tolerance for pain....than some.

I felt much better after surgery...once the bones were set/stable and screwed together....but was still in a fair amount of discomfort even 6 weeks after the break.

That is good advice, I guess now that I think about it most of the pain happens when my foot has not been elevated for a while.
    My OS said absolutly no ibuprofrin, advil or alieve. He said that they are "bone robbers" so Tylenol it is.
    I guess I just keep the leg elevated more and soldier on with the Tylenol during the day and narco at night. I just wish this would be over already. I almost want to cry when I think of all the weeks ahead of me.

Team Chilidog!
    Things that may help you heal:
    - Anti-inflammatory DIET (not drugs, but amazon search for books on it)
    - Drink lots of water
    - How about icing the injury?

Is there any way you can do crunch walking to get your circulation going or are you jailed to bedrest for now?

It's sounds really strange, but diet can affect pain. Use the Tylonel. Also, if you're mobile, see if you can get a massage (provided the Dr. says ok). Even if it's bone pain, any type of relaxation to take your mind off the pain may help.

When I broke my wrist and ribs, I was icing religiously. Every hour for 10-20 minutes (not directly on skin). Even if it didn't help the healing, it helped the pain management.

I think I was on Tylonel for quite a while. I hate the strong pain meds, because they tend to make me sick to my stomach.

So tomorrow will be the end of week three post injury. I am baffled at the pain, how it comes and goes and what to do to manage it effectively. I have percocet, but I feel the sooner I stop taking them the better. I am down to 2 pills a day, and I take them at night. This is down from two pills at a time every four hours. But during the day I either feel real pain, or minor discomfort with no real trigger to make one go to the other. WTH, how do I deal with this? Any advice can help. Tylenol is my other option, but when I take it I get no relief.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Things that may help you heal:
    - Anti-inflammatory DIET (not drugs, but amazon search for books on it)
    - Drink lots of water
    - How about icing the injury?

Is there any way you can do crunch walking to get your circulation going or are you jailed to bedrest for now?

It's sounds really strange, but diet can affect pain. Use the Tylonel. Also, if you're mobile, see if you can get a massage (provided the Dr. says ok). Even if it's bone pain, any type of relaxation to take your mind off the pain may help.

When I broke my wrist and ribs, I was icing religiously. Every hour for 10-20 minutes (not directly on skin). Even if it didn't help the healing, it helped the pain management.

I think I was on Tylonel for quite a while. I hate the strong pain meds, because they tend to make me sick to my stomach.

Problem with icing......is if you are still in a cast.....doesn't do much good.

Warrior's Society
    That is good advice, I guess now that I think about it most of the pain happens when my foot has not been elevated for a while.
    My OS said absolutly no ibuprofrin, advil or alieve. He said that they are "bone robbers" so Tylenol it is.
    I guess I just keep the leg elevated more and soldier on with the Tylenol during the day and narco at night. I just wish this would be over already. I almost want to cry when I think of all the weeks ahead of me.

Time will go by quicker than you think......I was down for nearly 16 weeks when it was all said and done....but it seems shorter, especially looking back on it now.

Toller Mom

Toes Burning and Restless Leg

So has anyone here experienced burning toes and restless leg during their injury? The last two nights I have been up for hours because I cannot keep from needing to move, stretch or flex my legs and the toes on my injured leg burn. It was so bad the first night I was convinced I either had athletes foot or that my cellulits was coming back. Anyone had this and if so what did you do to relive it? Thanks in advance for the input!

Warrior's Society
    So has anyone here experienced burning toes and restless leg during their injury? The last two nights I have been up for hours because I cannot keep from needing to move, stretch or flex my legs and the toes on my injured leg burn. It was so bad the first night I was convinced I either had athletes foot or that my cellulits was coming back. Anyone had this and if so what did you do to relive it? Thanks in advance for the input!

Go here:

http://mybrokenleg.com/forums/list.php?f=2

You will get more and better answers to your questions.

Toller Mom
    Update from the broken leg lady. I will HOPEFULLY be getting my cast off this Friday and be getting a DARTH boot and be able to put up to 25% weight on my leg. I get to where that beauty for 6 weeks and then be able to put all my weight on it and start walking again. And that mean start riding again!! I will not be doing any XC or downhill for a long time. But I will have the best looking FS Mtb on the C&O Rail Trail this year!

Team Chilidog!
    Update from the broken leg lady. I will HOPEFULLY be getting my cast off this Friday and be getting a DARTH boot and be able to put up to 25% weight on my leg. I get to where that beauty for 6 weeks and then be able to put all my weight on it and start walking again. And that mean start riding again!! I will not be doing any XC or downhill for a long time. But I will have the best looking FS Mtb on the C&O Rail Trail this year!
    Glad to hear you're doing better.

Small goals are good too, so don't beat yourself up. Get on an exercise bike first, then you'll be able to get on a mountain bike

For me, it's been 12 days post op. Once you can start putting full weight on it, do it. That will be the biggest important thing for bone health.

Toller Mom

Smile Yahoooo

I have an air cast! And I can PWB up to 40lbs, way more than i expected! I have had my first bath of 2011, so awesome. I have another check up in 3 weeks and as long as i have done well on my own i will not have tp have PT.

Warrior's Society
    I have an air cast! And I can PWB up to 40lbs, way more than i expected! I have had my first bath of 2011, so awesome. I have another check up in 3 weeks and as long as i have done well on my own i will not have tp have PT.

IF they are offering PT, and it is covered under your insurance.....take it.

I chose not to take PT, rather do it on my own.....now a year later, I still don't have 100% mobility in my ankle. Yes, I can still ride, but clipping out of my pedal is sometimes an issue, jsut because I can't get it to twist all the way.

Team Chilidog!
    I'm going to be very blunt here:

Do not be stupid. Take all the PT you can get, especially if your insurance covers it. I did last year, and it ended up being a lot of prehab for my knee (ACL) that I do not regret doing. Did I feel I needed it? No, but I'm sure glad I did.

While I could probably do PT on my own, there are certain things PTs know that I don't like how to loosen your scar tissue, what point to extend your leg flexibility, when you should start doing certain things vs. others, and when you should ask the doctor if it's ok for you to do something.

I'm at week 4 recovery levels instead of week 2, which is where I'm at now. That's because of PT. That means I'll get back on the bike sooner. If I did the recovery on my own, not only would it suck, but I could possibly risk reinjuring myself.

Team Chilidog!

ACL / Meniscus Recovery Update

I'm on Day 17 of my ACL/meniscus repair. ACL was an allograph (achilles tendon) and meniscus cleanup.

Day 1, 2 - don't remember much of those days
    Day 3 - consistently full weight bearing
    Day 7 - 70 degrees flexion, full extension
    Day 9 - cleared to drive, 105 degrees flexion, first pedal strokes (OW!!)
    Day 10 - first pedal strokes not painful
    Day 15 - no more brace, only crutches (one usually) outside the house
    Day 17(today) - done with painkillers, pedaling on my XC bike on the trainer with flat pedals 2-3 times a day for 10 minutes, plus PT. 123 degrees ROM (Range of Motion).

PT told me I'm at week level 4 recovery levels at week 2, and right now, they're running out of things to have me do. It helps to setup small goals in between the big ones (like mountain biking, snowboarding, etc).

My next small goals (2-3 weeks out):

Cycling goals (note my XC bike is in the trainer, not ready to trail ride yet):
    - Ride on my XC bike on SPDs (easiest tension)
    - Ride on my XC bike out of the saddle
    - Ride on my XC bike for 20-30 minutes for cardio
    - Ride on my XC bike for interval training

General goals:
    - Swelling completely gone
    - 140-150 degrees ROM
    - Walk to the gym (it's a half mile each way)
    - Walk/run in the pool (no swimming until doctor clears)
    - Get rid of the crutches
    - Weight train (upper body)

Big goals (3-12 months down the road)
    - Trail ride
    - Swim
    - Yoga
    - Aikido
    - Roller blade

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Last weekend I cracked a bone in my arm riding.

I just got back from a 20 mile road ride

Ibuprofen helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

hispanic mechanic
    Oh well, I had hoped to not ever visit this forum. It had been 10 years since my last serious bike injury, then yesterday, I lost traction up front in a corner, slid into a rock, high-sided, and broke my right clavicle.
    Hey, at least now I'll have the matching set!
    The ER doc referred me to an OS to see if I will require surgery, but the break looked pretty good. Gave myself yesterday and today to eat kinda bad, but want to watch my diet while I'm injured.
    I've gone on a couple of short walks, and after reading about ibuprofen and bone growth, I'm offa those suckers!
    Good luck to all the other downed riders, and keep your chin up!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

cixelsiD
    I broke my elbow in November. When I went to my clinic my major complaint was my shoulder. This was because it was level with my ear. It went back in ace on the way back to the car. At least thats what I figured when I woke up. I complained to urgent care doc of my shoulder so he took some pics. Said nothings broke make appt withh orho here are some painkillers. I said why can't I move my arm?
    I saw ortho the next day and complained of other stuff that came up that night. Rt broken elbow still nothing wrong with shoulder. I spent 1 month in a cast and 2 months off of work.PT helped trmendousl after the cast was off for my elbow. My shouler still bothers me. I take no pain meds because they bother my stomach the same with anti inflamatory pills. I eat better lift waits specific to my shoulder and elbow and push on with the pain. I have been taking fish oil and turmeric pills for inflammtion. I think they work a little.

Get well soon!!!

1+1
    going for a ride
    Last year I had a non bike injury to my shoulder. Couldn't ride for 2 months. In that time, I did acupuncture and various rubon/spray on concoctions. None worked. Nada. It was nothing too serious but I'm favoring one side of my body for everything and that means I lean too heavy on one side of my handlebars.
    One day, a good friend of mine brought me some magnesium chloride. It looks, feels and tastes like regular sea water and I was like yeah, right, salty water, er, ok. Anyways, I was desperate to try anything at this point and put this this for a week. The pain went away. Back on the bike. I also got a 19 year old knee injury from getting hit on my bike by a car. Everytime I walk downhill it hurts, sometimes for days. I put mgcl on for a couple weeks. Now I can run downhill without any pain. My knee is healed!!!
    I just ordered a big bottle of magnesium chloride for everything, even works on our little baby girl's teething pains. A week ago, I fought off a nasty cold taking a bath soaked with a bit of mgcl. A friend of mine who had tendonitis in his wrist from a mx bike accident healed himself this way. Same for another friend with a 2 year old knee injury that's turning athritic.
    Don't take my word for it, google it and you'll see. Once you try it, you'll be like me, why didn't I heard of this earlier? If there is a magic fountain of healing, this is it. Go on, try it, and you can thank me later if you feel to.

Toller Mom
    Well broken leg lady is still broken leg lady. It is almost 5 months post break and I am now classified as a "non union" on the tibia. I am back in my air cast (I took it upon myself to stop wearing it because I thought I could) and I now wear a bone stimulator 10 hours a day. This is for the next 4 weeks. If the tib does not knit I get another surgery to put in a bigger rod.
    The humor of having to wear a bone stimulator so that I do not have to get a bigger rod is not lost on me.
    It is a lovely spring here in eastern WV and I am missing all the good white water and all the good biking. I drove by Gambrill last week and got misty eyed.
    My lovely new bike is still lovely and new and still a virgin. And frankly I am getting rather grumpy.
    Hope the rest of you out there recovering are getting along.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    smitham, the only thing I could say is that I feel your pain. After breaking my shoulder last year, I have worked hard at making things better. Doctor said I'd probably never ride again but things have healed. I understand your pain when you drive by your favorite riding spot - I walk my dog through my fave riding spot and it pains me - because I sold my bike last year after the bailout - haven't bought one yet. Finally ready to do it now.

You sound like you are dealing with it rather well, throw in some sense of humour etc., and time will pass. I hope you heal and recover and take it easy when you start back up riding.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    smitham - so sorry to hear you have a non-union. I'm not a medical professional of any sort so everything I say is from my experience as a patient. Hopefully this will help you some.

1) Use the bone stimulator!!! I had an ultrasonic bone stimulator. From what I saw and heard, growing bone across 2 ~ 1/2" gaps on my tibia was impressive. My wife used the same ultrasonic bone stimulator on her scaphoid (wrist) nonunion with similarly impressive results.

2) Do everything you can to "exercise" that leg. Within reason, the more you can move it and work it, the better the blood flow and the less swelling. Blood flow is required for healing. This will also help with the swelling, burning toes and restless leg.

3) Do whatever weight bearing you are allowed, as much as possible. Weight bearing is required to cause the bone to heal. I found the stair climber to be the best way for me to put weight on the leg. I could keep some of my weight on my hands and slowly move more and more weight to my leg. Walking in a swimming pool would have been good or even better, but I didn't have a pool available to me.

4) If you can - PT is REALLY important. PT was one of the best things I had going during my recovery. If your insurance doesn't cover it or you can't afford it, see if the doctor or PA will give you an exercise regimen. Or give you one appointment with a physical therapist. If you are seeing a PT and don't feel like you are getting much out of it - CHANGE therapist!!!! There are some really good PTs and some not as good ones.

5) Do everything you can to get your life back to "normal". Work, bathe, do fun things you are able to do (movies, museum, picnic, etc.) Whatever you're used to do modified for what you can do now. Crutch walking is good for you and your leg up until the leg swells too much. Keeping a positive attitude is VITAL and can be hard to do as the time wears on.

6) I've got a bunch of questions for you. Does the doctor know why it is non-union? Are there large gaps like I had? Do they need to do a CT scan to figure this out? Have they taken the screws out of one end of the rod? Are you taking pain meds that inhibit bone growth? Any infection anywhere in your body that would inhibit bone growth? Do you like and trust your orthopedic surgeon?

I sent you a private message with my email address. Email me if I can help with something you don't want to post. Or if you just want to pass time emailing with someone who has been through a similar situation. I had to have help from friends and strangers so I'm willing to help others.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well here's my short story,

I rag dolled HARD into rock garden, but somehow miraculously walked away with only a messed up shoulder(minor tears, strain, and nasty impact bruising) No broken bones though, and I wear only knee pads.

None the less, the pain was severe and I couldn't move the arm or sleep for 3 days.

I'm in my 40's and in pretty good shape, here's what I did to get back on a road bike in just two weeks.

1. Dump truck full of ibprofen
    2. Ice pack
    3. Make an essential oil form peppermint, lavender and tee tree oils
    4. Rubbing alcohol
    5. Arnica cream
    6. Traumeel oral drops
    7. Rest
    8. Turn on the tv

Apply these things, alternating, and frequently, all day long. It's a lot of work but just keep piling it on.

After 5 or 6 days hit up sauna/steam rooms at your local rec center. And at home alternate hot and cold packs, light stretching movements, and continue to pile on that hippie juice.

I'm gonnna wait another 2 weeks before riding the trails, but at a least I can road ride about 30k a day with only minor discomfort.

Happy healing all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Man, you all have badass injuries, but I'm really sorry to hear that you're off the saddles.
    I feel lame posting here since i got a concussion this weekend from a tree branch falling on my head.
    The doctor at the hospital said no riding for a while

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast