mtbr member

Recovering from a leg injury: suggestions?

Hey guys, as you may have seen my (ill titled) thread about my pedals I broke my ankle pretty bad this past saturday. Apparently it was broken in 3 places which required a metal plate and some screws. There were also some chips from the bump on my ankle that needed to be put back/removed as well, so there was some pretty serious surgery or so the doctor told me. The cast goes up to about 4 or 5 inches under my knee cap, and it's wrapped with one of those ace bandages. This is definately the worst injury I've ever had, being stuck on the couch and not being able to walk is really killing me.

I'm curious of a few things. First off, has anybody else broken their ankle or leg? How'd ya do it? More importantly how long did it take you to heal up and get back on the bike? I'm real worried about putting on weight while I'm confined to the couch so I'm also intrested in any sort of exercises I can do to try to keep the rest of my body from atropehing along with the leg in the cast.

I've found out that getting around is a biach, crutches are way less fun than a bike. Do you guys have any suggestions for somebody who's struggling with crutches?

Its going to be a long 6 weeks and I can't wait to go for a ride once this cast comes off. What a way to start the summer

mtbr member
    Swim,if not casted up. Follow docs and physiotorturist rules first.
    Hang on, Newt. She's heading for the rhubarb.