mtbr member

recovering from a broken leg

X Post in xc racing and training

So I broke my left leg just above the ankle last September. 3 months on crutches and all that good stuff... Suffice to say it put a crimp in my riding.

I've recovered nicely and I'm pretty much back to normal, with only minor soreness and limits to my range of mobility. The leg feels nearly as strong as it used to be. The problem I've noticed is that my left leg completely lacks coordination. I used to pride myself on my pedaling stroke, but it feels like my left leg hits every dead spot in the rotation now. Any tips on how to fix this? The only thing I can thing is one legged intervals, but I completely hate them. My physical therapist was great help in regaining balance and mobility, but when it comes to biking stuff she's clueless.

FYI, last year I raced comp with relative success and I'd like to return to that level. I'm on a modified Morris plan and I'm halfway through lifting.

Double-metric mtb man
    Only thing I can suggest is keep working on the pedalling stroke. It may mean some one legged intervals on the bad side or "leading" your stroke on that side until it gets back up to par.

Is it possible to get your bike over to your physical therapist's? If she is aware of your competitive cycling and can see what's involved and where you are at, maybe she can refine your rehab to better meet your goals.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

another bozo on the bus
    Give it time. Alot of atrophy occurs in a short time in the leg when not being used. I have broken both a hip and tibia/knee and all I can say is be patient. Set up your bike on the trainer and work on a light spin to get your cadence back in order . Try spinning easier gears. You may also want to go to the gym and do some weights if that feels ok, which it should by now.