Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Really sad day today...really sad.

8K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  zarr 
#1 ·
Well guys, I finally got my prosthetic foot yesterday...and as uplifted as my spirit always is about my one and only passion (mountain biking of course) :thumbsup:...has taken it on the chin. THIS STUPID FOOT WEIGHS A TON !!! :madman:
I don't know at this point whether I'll be able to...ride again.
Damn this hurts. :madman:
...I just don't know what to say.
After all the learning i've done.After all the help you guys have given me.After all the priceless moments and all the fun i've had spending time talking with you guys on the forums. After all the help I've given to those in need. and all the parts I've gathered to complete my builds from scratch.
...Yep.after all the obstacles i've overcome, now it's come down to gettig beaten by a stupid disease called diabetes.
I am totally disgusted.
and I feel like i have the right to be.
...But this is to all who have come to know me and tried to help me...
I:thumbsup: WILL:thumbsup: NEVER:thumbsup: GIVE:thumbsup: UP:thumbsup: TRYING:thumbsup:!!!!!!!!
OK.
Now I feel better.
Back to the forums.:)
---zarr :):D.

See less See more
#3 ·
Don't want to add weight.Prolly somebody has a reasonably-priced high-tech lightweight foot that won't cost me an arm and...OK, i'll say it...a leg.
pardon my pun. (LOL)
Seriously, if I can laugh my way through this one, i can do anything.:thumbsup:
It's just frustrating.I learned an awful lot about bikes to have this %&#! happen now.
Know what I mean?
hmmm.Yeaah buddy.
:mad:

#4 ·
Zarr,

Once your foot is on the pedal the weight won't be such a factor as it will be resting on the pedal and you won't need to be lifting it as with walking. Walking requires 100% load bearing on each step, cycling does not. Don't get discouraged as you have had it less than a full day. In the short term I say get used to walking for now and keep visualizing yourself pedaling and smiling, :thumbsup: I really do mean to try to visualize it, for now think bike path then maybe mtb after that.

Keep your chin up and try to be patient for now (I am the worst at being patient, btw) ;)

#28 ·
2ridealots right, Ive got a super heavy suspension foot made by Osser, and it's still lighter than my OEM foot! It just feels heavy. It all goes away, some days you'll forget you've got it on.:thumbsup: BTW I feel more at home on my bike than walking:cool:

#6 ·
Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah. Google him. Buy the DVD "Emmanuel's Gift" off Amazon for $9. Watch it while you're on the trainer. You'll be amazed and will certainly believe that you can ride again.

Cliff notes: Disfigured, impoverished young man asks UN for a bike so he can cycle across Ghana raising awareness about the country's crazy high rate of disabilities. Get's invited to the US and competes in a triathlon. Doctors donate cost of amputating his deformed leg above the knee. Gets prosthetic and six weeks later shaves 3 hours off his triathlon time. Starts charity in his country and is recognized by the country's king. Dude could also school most people in soccer while on crutches.

#8 ·
You know guys...I got flamed real bad years back when I first subscribed to Mtbr.com because I more than once brought up God in a few threads I was on. But in order for me to be better understood, I have to do that sometimes.Desperate needs call for desperate measures.
...He'll get me through. :)
Yeah.
He always does. :)
---zarr :)
I'll see you guys on the trails.
:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I used to think guys with one good foot were slow. Then I met Nathin Davisson. He routinely kicked my ass until I got born again hard. He's done events as long as 24hr single speed solo down to regular MTB races. I'll PM you with his email.

#18 ·
Hey fellas!! Good news!! (maybe?)

I found a website for mtb amputees that told about...Magnetic Cleat pedals!!!
:)skep:)
:)
Well, it's worth looking into anyway. Sounds a little crazy right?
...But if they work, hey.
I'll keep everybody updated.
Gonna be a while though...

#23 ·
Pretty sure I prefaced it with some encouragement and in trying to keep it light I may have offended some. Frankly, if it wasn't the OP who I offended, I couldn't care less. If it was, sorry, it was not meant to offend anyone. Again, don't care about the negative rep points that so many seem to care about, but I don't intend to offend anyone. As a military vet and one who works daily with other military vets, I come accross many amputees in my life who live amazing lives and do way more than I ever could. Let that be some encouragement to you. Enough said. Best wishes on a speedy recovery and positive outlook.

#24 ·
Hey bro, i hope your are adjusting to the new prosthesis. It will get easier I promise. Here's a company you should look at, it's called Otto Bock, they make cutting edge prosthetics. I'm not an amputee but I do have drop foot on my right foot. If you don't know what that is it is basically a useless foot that doesn't work; i was injured in Iraq by a bomb and it destroyed all the nerves and ligaments behind my right knee. I used a few different drop foot aides from them and they've worked much better than the other companies I've tried. One of the ones was 100% carbon fiber. It was awesome.

#32 ·
I recently rode in the Tour de Wyoming last season. One guy was missing his leg from the knee down. Older gentleman, probably in his early 60's I am guessing. He wasn't the fastest rider, but he wasn't near the slowest either. Saw him ride 107 miles one day and ride his bike over the Tetons the next. Very inspirational.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.