Just A Mountain Biker.

Really conflicted on surgery option & recovery time.

I was diagnosed yesterday with a Posterior Labral tear and associated cyst, as well as a rotator cuff impingement & bone spurring. I have been dealing with this as well as mis-diagnosis since a car accident back in March, and now the docs have figured it out and say surgery is the only way to fix it because its pretty extensive (1.3cm?).

Bummed that being here in AZ and the weather is just now getting nice and it's our "season", and it looks like if I go for the operation I will be off the bike until about March of next year.

Just curious if anyone has any words of advice or encouragement...I don't really see any other options but thought I would throw that out the riders here. If you have gone through similar, what did you do to pass the time (excluding PT, I know that is a big part). Trainer in the garage? Core strength? Hiking?
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    I had my shoulder reconstructed a few years ago in college (collegiate swimmer and water polo player). I was out for a season, and spent my time doing PT, and spinning away on my trainer. All in all, it was worth it, but it was an uncomfortable year that i often regreted having the surgery. Now that im back to pre-injury, it was worth every second of pain.

Do it, You will miss a season of riding perhaps, but every year after will be that much better and without pain/discomfort. you have to think long term on these things, because while they say 4 month recovery, in reality, to regain full use, 1 year, and thats being super active and in great shape.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Where is the bone spur? I had part of my collarbone removed because it grew into the scapula and created a spur, tearing the rotator cuff tendon. The tear was only 5mm, and repaired itself after 8 months or so.

My injury was pretty minor compared to yours, but it is nice to have that taken care of. I'm a gym rat, and I'm getting back to pre-injury levels. It's been 11 months since the surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    This is a very easy question from afar. If you can ride, ride now and have the surgery at the end of your riding season. If its too painful to ride then your only option is the surgery.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    This is a very easy question from afar. If you can ride, ride now and have the surgery at the end of your riding season. If its too painful to ride then your only option is the surgery.
    Funny you say this, as I was just coming here to ask that very questions as it is something I have been contemplating over the weekend ~ like the doc said, it's already torn, chances are I won't tear it any more...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am 4 weeks post rotator cuff surgery. 3 tendons had to be re-attached to the bone. All i can say is,,,,,, Holy F*ckpants this hurts! 4 weeks in and I can barely sleep. Yeah, I got drugs and all but those come with their own issues. Ride now if you can but no matter when you opt for the surgery, you are going to be out for a while.