mtbr member
    Jan 2002

Re-Joined the clavicle club yesterday.. Re-Breaks with hardware in-> any experience?

I broke my collar bone 4 years ago pretty badly (it was in 5 pieces..) and so they did surgery and put in a plate w/ 7 screws. And now yesterday, i re-broke the same one. It is only one fracture this time, at the end of where the plate stops.

I haven't met with the Orthopedic doc yet so we'll see what he has to say later today.....

What is anyone's experience with re-breaks of the collar bone that have hardware in them??
    Im not looking forward to more surgery, but fear that's what i'll have to do..

Thanks a lot,
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    Yep, as i feared, the doc says he Has to operate because the bone has little chance of healing well because of its displaced position above the existing plate. He's gonna operated (tomorrow) and remove the old plate, line it back up, and install a new longer one..

So please dont post any horror stories now, because i'm headed off for it in the am.. But seriously, any advice from similar situations would be great.. especially if its good results! thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    so far so good.. its the day after surgery, the dr said all went well. he ended up replacing the existing 7/8 screw plate with a 6 screw one in a different position, moved over and mounted from the front vs the top..

pain is a little less then i remember from the first time..

Will try and update this down the road a bit for others reference..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry to hear. Good luck with the recovery.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Ouch! Get well soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss2 View Post
    I broke my collar bone 4 years ago pretty badly (it was in 5 pieces..) and so they did surgery and put in a plate w/ 7 screws. And now yesterday, i re-broke the same one. It is only one fracture this time, at the end of where the plate stops.

I haven't met with the Orthopedic doc yet so we'll see what he has to say later today.....

What is anyone's experience with re-breaks of the collar bone that have hardware in them??
    Im not looking forward to more surgery, but fear that's what i'll have to do..

Thanks a lot,
    Jason
    Sorry to hear. I did a similar 2x break with my right arm. I think the hardest part of the whole ordeal was getting off the PAIN MEDS after three months!
    "Prollyisnotprobably"