Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

racing after injury

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  262741 
#1 ·
I am hoping to get a clean bill of health on Tuesday from my doctor to ride. I had screws put in my arm to repair a broken bone on September 2nd. My last race was the Endurance 100 in Park City. Any thoughts on trying to do the 24 Hours of Moab? Or should I just stick with supporting my friends? I know the risks and stupidity involved with my decision. Anyone out there tried to bounce back in a similar time frame? How did it go? Would you make the same decision again? Thanks for any comments.

#4 ·
post injury

cornfish said:
I know the risks and stupidity involved with my decision.
Seems like you answered your own question.

Even if the bone is healed, do you think the muscles in your arm are strong enough to safely control an MTB on what I hear is a pretty rough course? After my broken arm (2 plates, 13 screws later) my hand was so weak from the atrophy that the broken bone was the least of my worries.

Spare yourself another injury and use that arm to lube your teammate's chains, ring a cowbell, and hoist a couple of beers.

Regards,

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies

I rode my cross bike last night and it is very obvious that my arm would not take kindly to a 24 hour ride. Oh well. Now I get to be Uber support guy. I will be cruising around the pits on an orange Niner with a Maverick SC, so if you see me say "hi". Good racing to all, see you in Moab!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.