mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well Race Help 24 hr IT/Quad

I developed a super tight IT band and some pain on the outside of knee and just above my knee cap. I have been off the bike for 3 weeks stretching ,rolling IT band meds,massage and have a 24 hr solo next weekend in Canmore.The pain has gone mostly, doc thinks quad tendinitis ...over trained. Has anyone raced with this issue, I will medicate for the race and infrapatellar tape my leg and spin higher cadence massage the week before. Any thoughts last minute wonder cures. I have too much time and money invested not to race.

Using the foam roller daily and stertching has helped as well as ice.

Yo.

Try kinesiotape?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedals
    I developed a super tight IT band and some pain on the outside of knee and just above my knee cap. I have been off the bike for 3 weeks stretching ,rolling IT band meds,massage and have a 24 hr solo next weekend in Canmore.The pain has gone mostly, doc thinks quad tendinitis ...over trained. Has anyone raced with this issue, I will medicate for the race and infrapatellar tape my leg and spin higher cadence massage the week before. Any thoughts last minute wonder cures. I have too much time and money invested not to race.

Using the foam roller daily and stertching has helped as well as ice.
    Bring the foam roller with you to the race. If McConnell taping has been helping with patellar tracking while riding, then you should continue to use it; however, I usually tell my patients not to leave it on for more than a couple of hours because it can be irritating if you're really cranking on it get the patella to track more medially. You may have better luck using kinesiotape to support the patellar tendon and reinforce VMO recruitment, especially through a sustained effort as in a 24 hour solo event. but definitely try it on some training rides beforehand, and see if it works better than what you're doing now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.