Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Pulmonary Embolism - Blood Clot in Lung

Hey guys. Unfortunately I made a road trip out to Colorado from Jersey and a blood clot developed in my leg and traveled to my lung. I'm currently in the hospital and am on Coumadin and trying to regulate the anticoagulation of my blood. The doc says I'll be on this for 6 months. Has anybody had something similar? I'm really upset that my season is over since it was going so well. It could have been worse and gone to my head or heart I guess. So now I'm looking into getting back on the bike when I can and setting up for a stellar 2011.

Any stories you can share to help my motivation?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    wow!

I am really sorry to hear this. I know your avatar/name from some of the races I did in the Spring.

Can I ask...any history of clotting disorders in you or family? any prior clots in you? what is your age? were you moving around a lot or staying still in car?

I thought some of these questions might help others. I keep going to Leadville for the Leadman series and now you made me paranoid...

I am just curious, as I suspect this was a very rare occurrence for someone of your profile.

keep us updated

MX

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Good job! Here's to a speedy recovery

Get well soon.

mtbr member
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    wow!

I am really sorry to hear this. I know your avatar/name from some of the races I did in the Spring.

Can I ask...any history of clotting disorders in you or family? any prior clots in you? what is your age? were you moving around a lot or staying still in car?

I thought some of these questions might help others. I keep going to Leadville for the Leadman series and now you made me paranoid...

I am just curious, as I suspect this was a very rare occurrence for someone of your profile.

keep us updated

MX
    I'm 30 with pretty much perfect health. Season was going strong and getting some good results to hopefully help towards my pro upgrade and now this road block. There is a history as my father had a stroke related to blood clots. The doctors say this may play a part but not necessarily. The biggest thing they can see is that just sitting in a car and not moving the legs for long periods of time can do this(long flights as well). The best way to prevent this is to stop every 2 hours and get out and walk around and get the blood flow going. This should stop anything from clotting and getting any issues.

mtbr member
    No PM received.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701
    I'm 30 with pretty much perfect health. Season was going strong and getting some good results to hopefully help towards my pro upgrade and now this road block. There is a history as my father had a stroke related to blood clots. The doctors say this may play a part but not necessarily. The biggest thing they can see is that just sitting in a car and not moving the legs for long periods of time can do this(long flights as well). The best way to prevent this is to stop every 2 hours and get out and walk around and get the blood flow going. This should stop anything from clotting and getting any issues.
    did your dad have any type of underlying genetic reason? smoker? was he sitting in one spot for a long time too?

yeah, I mean depending on what they think caused his, probably not linked to what happened to you.

were you in car not moving a long time? or did you get out frequently?

man, i basically fit your profile. I think I will leave a little more time for long rd trips so I can get out a bit more

mtbr member
    did your dad have any type of underlying genetic reason? smoker? was he sitting in one spot for a long time too?

yeah, I mean depending on what they think caused his, probably not linked to what happened to you.

were you in car not moving a long time? or did you get out frequently?

man, i basically fit your profile. I think I will leave a little more time for long rd trips so I can get out a bit more
    Father had no genetic reasoning - smoker yes - he worked a lot with wood and specifically pressure treated wood. The chemicals in this were thought to have caused some part of his issue.

I was in a car driving for a long time. I drove to Colorado in 32 hours. I drove 18 slept 6 and drive 14 the next day. I drove for a max of 4 hours and walked around and went to the bathroom at 4 or less. Probably wasn't good enough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Father had no genetic reasoning - smoker yes - he worked a lot with wood and specifically pressure treated wood. The chemicals in this were thought to have caused some part of his issue.

I was in a car driving for a long time. I drove to Colorado in 32 hours. I drove 18 slept 6 and drive 14 the next day. I drove for a max of 4 hours and walked around and went to the bathroom at 4 or less. Probably wasn't good enough.
    well, certainly don't let this get you down. I suspect it will be an isolated incident that you can now take certain measures to prevent in the future. do your warfarin thingy and you'll be winning again!

maybe look into fish oil type supplements, I know they can have a thinning effect on blood...not by much. At least they are "considered safe" and OTC. I would take significantly higher doses than what the bottle says. It should help quiet down inflammatory changes all throughout body too.

Maybe a baby aspirin in the future too.

But you can discuss all that with your docs!

lay off the smokes! just kidding.

take care

mtbr member
    well, certainly don't let this get you down. I suspect it will be an isolated incident that you can now take certain measures to prevent in the future. do your warfarin thingy and you'll be winning again!

maybe look into fish oil type supplements, I know they can have a thinning effect on blood...not by much. At least they are "considered safe" and OTC. I would take significantly higher doses than what the bottle says. It should help quiet down inflammatory changes all throughout body too.

Maybe a baby aspirin in the future too.

But you can discuss all that with your docs!

lay off the smokes! just kidding.

take care
    Exactly I'm thinking that there's not much I can do to save this season but it's been a good one and motivation for the future. I might be able to pull off some CX towards the end of the season.

At the end of 2008 I got hit by a car and it motivated me even more for 2009. This is going to piss me off more and motivate me to train 10x harder in the off season to make 2011 a great year.

We've already started on the better options for diet so I will explore that more for preventative measures.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Exactly I'm thinking that there's not much I can do to save this season but it's been a good one and motivation for the future. I might be able to pull off some CX towards the end of the season.

At the end of 2008 I got hit by a car and it motivated me even more for 2009. This is going to piss me off more and motivate me to train 10x harder in the off season to make 2011 a great year.

We've already started on the better options for diet so I will explore that more for preventative measures.
    yup, you'll be fine.

have you read Omnivore's Dilemma? it's on audio too. you might want to consider only meat products not raised on corn. they have been shown to have better fatty acid profile.

I do my best to have properly raised meat, it's a shame it should have to be called organic or grassfed, etc. it should just be this way.

same applies to fish...

i am not saying do Paleo/ancestral, (I have to hold reservation in trying to put my belief on others) but I do think there is good for eliminating a lot of the processed veg oils etc from diet.

I am sure you know all this anyhow, I forget how good an athlete you are! (like hours faster than me at Cohutta!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sorry about your ordeal. I'll share the little I know about blood clots. My wife developed a blood clot in her leg years ago after riding several hours in the car. Very painful ordeal. After some testing, it was discovered she had 'Protein S Defeciency'. It's hereditary. She's on Coumidin for the rest of her life. Ask your doc about it & other possible causes besides just not moving for hours while riding in a car. I'm not a Dr, but someone of your age and conditioning should be able to drive from Jersey to Colorado without getting a blood clot. I don't want to be a downer, but you want to find out if this was a freak thing or if there is another underlying reason and you're a canidate for more clots. I wish you well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragged
    Sorry about your ordeal. I'll share the little I know about blood clots. My wife developed a blood clot in her leg years ago after riding several hours in the car. Very painful ordeal. After some testing, it was discovered she had 'Protein S Defeciency'. It's hereditary. She's on Coumidin for the rest of her life. Ask your doc about it & other possible causes besides just not moving for hours while riding in a car. I'm not a Dr, but someone of your age and conditioning should be able to drive from Jersey to Colorado without getting a blood clot. I don't want to be a downer, but you want to find out if this was a freak thing or if there is another underlying reason and you're a canidate for more clots. I wish you well.
    Thanks for the info! Yea as soon as I get back home I'm going to see a doctor and get tested for the genetic factors. The word is they usually wait for the second embolism to start testing but I don't want to be dead before I can know what's going on. I figure that's a better way to do things. On the bright side today is one week from my embolism and I'm feeling waaaay better than I thought I would by now. Doc says I'm the fastest one she's ever seen anticoagulate and recover like I have. I'm happy with that. Maybe all this hell I put my body through on a regular basis to race has other benefits besides going fast...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the info! Yea as soon as I get back home I'm going to see a doctor and get tested for the genetic factors. The word is they usually wait for the second embolism to start testing but I don't want to be dead before I can know what's going on. I figure that's a better way to do things. On the bright side today is one week from my embolism and I'm feeling waaaay better than I thought I would by now. Doc says I'm the fastest one she's ever seen anticoagulate and recover like I have. I'm happy with that. Maybe all this hell I put my body through on a regular basis to race has other benefits besides going fast...
    That's great news about your quick recovery. I'm glad you're feeling better. Until my wife had her clot, I had no idea how painful they could be. Or how dangerous they could be. It sounds like you and your doctor have a plan about what to do next and I'm sure they've told you symptoms to look out for in the future. Get your pro-time checked when they say to and get it checked if you feel the least bit uneasy. It seems like you have a good, positive attitude which in my experience is very important. Keep it up, don't let this get you down. I hope your recovery continues well. Let us know how you're doing after you get home.

mtbr member
    Just a little update:

I've been back on the bike for a few weeks now and I'm starting to feel better. I've got full clearance from the doc to train again and race when I feel better. I even took my first fall on blood thinners and it's not as bad as I was originally told. I scraped/bruised up my knees and it bled a little longer than normal but not much at all. The difference wasn't really noticeable. (The scare tactics say you'll bleed to death if you get a papercut...lol) I'm very happy with that.

Hopefully my recovery will continue as it's been going and I'll be back stronger than ever next year.

Dinner for wolves
    Uh, you got the OK to mountain bike while on Coumadin? That was a brave decision. Why not just play it safe, shelve the season, train on the stationary bike or cross train, until you are off Coumadin? That drug causes almost as many problems as it fixes.
    Responds to gravity

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Ouch just ran into this Ryan as I decided to browse rider down for the first time. 5 weeks now since I've ridden a bike after breaking my right thumb

I hear you on making 2011 a good one as my plans for this year definitely got screwed.

mtbr member
    Yup I got the OK. The doc said just to be careful and don't do anything stupid basically. He assured me that the normal cuts and bruises will be a little worse but nothing life threatening like some say. I tested this theory out by going over the bars the other day and like he said it wasn't much different. I've been going nuts without being back on the dirt so I'm really happy getting back to the MTB. If I had to train for the next 6 months on a trainer I'd kill myself for sure.

John - Sorry to hear that. 5 weeks is a LOOONG time. I hope you're getting close to coming back. Let's both rip up 2011.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey XC62701. Sorry you had the PE. Sounds like you have a reason for getting it with the long hours driving. Having that reason means you'll most likley be able to get off the coumidin!
    I'm 56 and my story is on a monday I was camping and stepped out of the tent, bent over a few times to get my shoes on and felt dizzy and gasping for air fell back in the tent and passed out, don't remember anything for a couple of min. Wife called 911 and I was checked out at ER with good oxygen. On Wed. follow up with own Doc with good oxygen, he set up a ct scan for the brain. Well on Thur and Fri I felt some SOB and by Sat morning I was gasping for air just turning over in bed. Went to ER and they did tests and found PE. Lots of clots bi-lateral. 5 days in hosp. Good they did blood tests before they started coumadin, because most can't be done after starting coumadin. Ct scan for the brain cancelled. No cause for the PE found except I sit on a forkift for hours but they say you are moving some with that. Anyway they say for now,,, the first time PE 6mo to a year on coumadin. If it happens again coumadin for life. I think I'll be scared to go off it. I like your Doc giving you the OK for riding. I didn't ask my Doc if I could ride because I don't want to hear really you shouldn't. I haven't wrecked on my bike in a long time. Now I feel a little chicken thinking about what if's. Don't want to ride alone in remote places. Glad you tested out the bleeding rate,, I was scared about bleeding to death. I pray your recovery goes well. Ride safe, and tighten up the chin strap on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Cayenne pepper busts clots.

Don't listen to big pharma. Go natural.
    MTBR review on the Hope skewers
    Quote Originally Posted by Get A Clue
    Weaknesses: Doesn't work when used incorrectly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdale
    Cayenne pepper busts clots.

Don't listen to big pharma. Go natural.
    Going "natural" can be fatal for many people once they are known to be at risks for blood clots.

There are lots of reasons blood clots form.

If you are prone to them due to a genetic risk factor or aquired condition, it's not the clot "busting" you need to worry about, it's stopping the clots from forming in the first place.

Lots of people would prefer to stay off the drugs and go natural, but that's a big gamble when the risks are pulmonary embolism, heart attack, pulmonary hypertension, stroke, deep vein damage. All these things can kill or cripple.

So, if you are one of the people at constant risk of blood clots and don't particularly want to go through the event one time-much less multiple times-the MINOR side effects of the main big pharma treatment(Coumadin)-are probably the least of your concerns.

Sure, the natural treatments can help prevent clots and can help the body break them down, but the "go natural" catch all should not be applied to everyone who is at risk.

Sometimes the "better living through chemistry" approach is the best choice.

mtbr member
    There's also a thread in the passion forum on riding with anticoagulants.

any riders on blood thinners?

mtbr member
    I'm curious, what did it feel like to have a blood clot in your lung? What were your first symptoms, etc?

Also, have you asked your doc about aspirin/fish oil, as a more conservative approach than Coumadin? Has he told you how long you should be on it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't think there should be any side effect risks. That's the problem with the pharma drugs. They ALL seem to have them because they're a concoction of things that should never normally be taken since they're engineered. I can't tell you how disgusted it makes me to listen to these commercials which speed talk through 5-10-20 different life threatening side effects, including aspirin and blood thinners, when Cayenne is safe and doctors don't know or don't care because it's not money in their pocket. I had a relative nearly die when the ER staff just HAD to go right in there with one of those balloons up his leg because of a clot. It nearly killed him because another area ruptured, requiring emergency surgery.

It also stops heart attacks if that's a worry for you. Plenty of documented facts, since that was mentioned.
    MTBR review on the Hope skewers
    Quote Originally Posted by Get A Clue
    Weaknesses: Doesn't work when used incorrectly

banned
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, crashed in 08, had symptoms, got a shot of heparin and monitored and a few months later, nothing to worry about.

Oh, the natural twats in this thread are retards. They will advise you to go natural when it's your life, but won't talk **** when it's their life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast