Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    Yeah, crashed in 08, had symptoms, got a shot of heparin and monitored and a few months later, nothing to worry about.

Oh, the natural twats in this thread are retards. They will advise you to go natural when it's your life, but won't talk **** when it's their life.
    It's really starting to annoy me how many people here (and there are a lot in this forum), will take a simple discussion, or opposing points of view, and make it about insults and name calling.
    Who raised people like this?

Personally, I doubt most of the naturalist claims about remedys as well as about the dangers of pharmaceuticals.
    The beauty of of the FDA, is that they require evidence of SAFETY and EFFICACY before approving a drug. You normally do not find evidence to justify use of natural remedies, which is unfortunate because at least some of them have to have benefits.

A quick Pub Med search of "Cayenne, thinner, anticoagulant" brings back zero results.
    Maybe there is some info about anti-coagulant properties of cayenne, but would it be anecdotal, would it be general, or would it be clinical outcomes of a double blind placebo controlled study, to show people are better off taking it than not taking it under specific circumstances?
    I don't know, but for many natural remedies, there is no evidence based justification for its use, which means you are rolling the dice.
    Sure pharmaceuticals have side effects, but the risks and benefits of them are well understood, and in almost all cases, they do more good than harm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdale
    I don't think there should be any side effect risks. That's the problem with the pharma drugs. They ALL seem to have them because they're a concoction of things that should never normally be taken since they're engineered. I can't tell you how disgusted it makes me to listen to these commercials which speed talk through 5-10-20 different life threatening side effects, including aspirin and blood thinners, when Cayenne is safe and doctors don't know or don't care because it's not money in their pocket. I had a relative nearly die when the ER staff just HAD to go right in there with one of those balloons up his leg because of a clot. It nearly killed him because another area ruptured, requiring emergency surgery.

It also stops heart attacks if that's a worry for you. Plenty of documented facts, since that was mentioned.
    Can you provide some of these documented "facts" of cayenne pepper stopping heart attacks?

Yes I despise direct-to-consumer drug commercials but don't blow off every single drug as big pharma ripping you off. Warfarin is a crappy drug without doubt but it's a generic and dirt cheap so no, the doctor is not ripping anyone off whenever he/she prescribes it.

Please don't come here and take someones crappy experience to push your "go natural" agenda. Take that to some other forum. I agree with the junktrunk, if you were in a hospital having a stroke or heart attack and a doctor had a heparin drip in one hand and cayenne pepper in the other, you'd be begging for the heparin once you knew how effective and safe it is. And heparin is not "big pharma" and ridiculously cheap.

Natural products have their place but please, leave them at the door to the ER.

Next time do a Pubmed search to get a little more educated before giving out wrong info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I'm curious, what did it feel like to have a blood clot in your lung? What were your first symptoms, etc?

Also, have you asked your doc about aspirin/fish oil, as a more conservative approach than Coumadin? Has he told you how long you should be on it?
    Whoops guessed I missed this one...

Anyway it felt like I pulled a muscle near my rib cage. It would just get tight and felt like it was squeezing my ribs. It was feeling better for a bit but then it got REALLY painful. Very uncomfortable and very shallow breathing. I walked across the room and almost passed out. Then I had to carefully eek my way up a staircase to get help and almost passed out.

As far as fish oils my doc says to keep using them but he didn't say they would fix it. I'm on the warfarin and have had to deal with no side effects(knock on wood). The doc was saying 6-9 months and once I come off of it then I'll have the genetic testing for the factor V gene, to see if it's heredity or a random issue.

On the up side, today is 2 months post embolism and this past weekend I was 2nd in the state championship race and I locked up the cat 1 series win overall. I'm getting back to my old self and it feels great!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701
    Whoops guessed I missed this one...
    Thanks for the response. Even though it was a month ago I was still curious. It sounds like you are doing great. Good for you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    XC/NormClyde/others,

Long story shorter I was diagnosed with a DVT in my right lower leg and PE's in my lungs 9 days ago. I am 39 and spent lots of time doing several 100 mile races and rides on my MTB over the spring/summer. I never felt that bad overall but my right calf hurt a fair amount and it grew to be about 2x the size of my left calf and I had adema in my whole lower leg. My father had a blood clot in his leg about 10 years ago and it looked like his leg...my wife said it was like an overstuffed wintersquash or zucchini.

I headed to the ER after not racing in my night race that I host here in Minneapolis. I knew something was up with my leg and over the past week or two I was finding it more and more difficult to breathe in upper zone 2 and zone 3. When I walked into the ER and told them I thought that I had a blood clot in my leg they said ok and I was checked in. I had no difficulty breathing and my vitals were fine...blood pressure was up a little bit but not crazy. An hour later I had an Ultrasound and the tech said to me, "there it is...you have a blood clot". I went back to my ER stall and then 20 minutes later the ER doc came and told me I had a clot and that they wanted to do a CT scan and check my lungs. They did that and then 30 minutes later told me I had multiple clots in my lungs (bilateral PE's and one that was saddle) and that it was very serious and that it was really good that I came in. At that point I had my first "I could have died from this and still could thoughts" and it was not a good feeling as a husband/father of a 7 yr old son and a 9 year old daughter. The ER doc and nurse commented to me several times that they had never seen anyone look so good while having so many PE's and a DVT. I guess that my fitness level from riding my bike a lot this summer helped with that. They said that usually people look like death warmed over with gray, ashy skin or have difficulty breathing and/or chest pain. I had really none of that. My chest pain that I had was way back in May but will talk about that in a bit.

Long story shorter I was not allowed to go home and was checked in to the hospital and was in for 3.5 days of laying in bed keeping my leg up, getting blood drawn constantly and eating carry in food from great friends and family. Once my INR levels were above 2 I was checked out and have been home ever since. I have been taking Coumadin/Warfarin and getting blood draws every 5 or so days. I never felt too bad and still dont.

I have tried to think back to when I might have had my first DVT or PE. In hindsight it goes back to the Chequamegon 100 back in May of this year. Did the race and then post dinner I was driving back the 3.5 hours and had chest pain the last 1.5 hours. Slept that night and then went to the ER the next night and they did not find anything wrong with me...thought that I might have hit my chest in one of the wrecks I had in the 100 mile race. They did not do any blood clot/DVT/PE tests. I was unable to train for almost 10 days and then really did not feel good at all when training in zone 3 & 4 for the next month or two. I continued to ride and race with my "A" race for the year in mid August with the Leadville 100. Throughout the rest of the summer I trained and raced to prepare for Leadville and although I never felt as strong as I did before the first suspected clot I ended up finishing Leadville in 11:40. Good enough but not as good as I think that I should have done with my weight loss and time training. I never was able to get up to AT and hang out there while at elevation out there like I was able to the prior year. I could do what I could do and it was just good enough.

It is all beginning to make sense now as to why things were the way they were this season post Cheq 100. I did not really feel right for the rest of the summer and continued to develop DVT's and throw them off (usually I would have a pain in the back of my calf/knee and then it would go away eventually until the last one) and they would just get lodged in my lungs. Thank God that they did not cause more damage...I am kind of surprised they did not at 10,000-12,000 feet racing my bike for 100 miles but so happy they did not.

I am waiting for the Factor 5 test to come back to see if there are hereditary issues for me to battle but the more my wife (an ex pharma rep who loves medicine) and I research DVT's and PE's and endurance athletes the more it makes sense. If you are an endurance athlete (or in my case a guy who does endurance events...a pretty average athlete) you should educate yourself on how to prevent these as it is suspected that up to 75% of the DVT's/PE's happen to endurance athletes. The same qualities that make us good at endurance cycling/running/whatever make it easier for our blood to clot.

Here is the best article I have found on blood clots and the endurance athlete so far:

http://www.stevelehmantours.com/html/tips.html

Best of luck to all and do some of the things in this article to keep from getting these things in the first place or keeping them from forming in you...they are no fun!

massalsa

mtbr member
    The above post is excellent information. I'm convinced that endurance athletes are at greater risk for a travel related DVT. Most medical staff will not recognize this risk as they treat so few endurance athletes.

It is also very easy to prevent. Hydrate and move, it is that easy to prevent (for those without an underlying blood or medical condition).

mtbr member
    This is a great subject and a can become a reality to anyone of us if we are involved in a crash on our bikes. If your not pushing yourself to your limits your not crashing.

I crashed on Sept 5, and broke my tibial plateau and calcaneus bone of my foot while coming in wrong off a big jump that I had perfect distance to clear but was coming in too fast for the next set. I was treated at an area ER and released to my Ortho Dr. I was scheduled for surgery the following week but developed severe pain in my calf. I went to thr hospital and an ultrasound located a clot within my artery below my calf. I was admitted into thr ER and put on heparin immediately. I underwent a radiological surgery in which a IVT filter was installed into my main artery. I was and still remain scared that thr filter to prevent an embolism will come loose and end my breathing days. I had Ortho surgery the following day with three screws inserted into my tibial plateau. I continue to take warfarin and watch my diet. My INR levels are therapeutic and I've begun re HAB on flexibility on my leg.

Blood clots know no race or creed or background, I'm a former Tactical Officer in a law agency, I made Marine Recon try outs, was a member of the Marine weight lifting team
    and participated in 10k runs as well as race underground DH races. I'm 38 and I will
    Help any of you out with any questions if you become a patient of this ordeal.

I'm glad there is a thread on thjs subject, pulmonary embolisms kill
    300,000 a year in thr U.S.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2