Thread: Pulled Muscle?

Plus size jersey model

Bonking ... not feelin' well Pulled Muscle?

I think I have a pulled muscle in my right calf. It only seems to act up when I am riding with no real pain any other time. It occurs usually an hour or so into a ride, started to notice it a few eeks back on a road century preparing for the tour de tucson. I get greta deal of pain in the calf area to the point where I can not even put pressure on it to pedal, but almost no pain when walking etc. just on the bike. I took a couple of weeks off before the tour to let it rest but come tour day it got no better and had to pull out about 25 miles in all my training to waste. My question is has anybody else had an injury like this and if so how did you treat it and how long were you off the bike

Turner Homer
    I have gotten that myself on really long mountain and road bike rides. I think it is just your calf muscles spazamin out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A couple of questions:
    1. Does it hurt to put your foot into plantar flexion?(foot pointed down)
    2. Was this a sudden onset of did the symptoms develop gradually?
    3. Do you have any pain near the back of the heel where achilles tendon is or in the arch of your foot?
    4. Have you tried any theraputic modalities? (R.I.C.E., cryotherapy, electric stim. etc.)

Plus size jersey model
    1. No. Only get pain on bike and very slight discomfort off.
    2. Came suddenly.
    3. No foot pain or heel. Seems to start at the top just below the knee area then goes down if I continue to ride.
    4. No, just been heating and resting it> did some light stretches but afraid that it might make it worse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sound like a case of a muscle strain. Without being able to evaluate you in person its hard to tell. It might possibly be an hamstring strain at the point of insertion, or a gastroc/soleus complex strain. Its hard to tell. Have you introduced any NSAIDS into your treatment? If not i would along with heating and stretching before your rides and icing after to calm any irritation that it may create riding.

uh, or something!

be careful

i have no clinical background but i had a torn calf muscle in the spring and it seemed to heal fine after a few months - i was able to ride but not run during the process but since then it came back big time.

during the 1st lap of a local cross race last week it felt like someone shot me in the calf with a rifle.........major tear, tons of swelling and bruising. totally imobile.

it may be best to see a therapist to get advise on how to avoid any further injury and to get back on track. just my 2 cents.
    Life is a drink and you get drunk.... when you're young.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mello211 you describe a typical grade 2+ strain. It takes a few months to 'scar down' then you feel fine and begin to participate in activities again. Then you overload the muscle(remember because it never full healed) and it completely ruptures. I see it all the time. Your best course is to see an ortho right away and schedule an MRI and possibly a surgery to repair the torn tissue.

uh, or something!

i saw an sports ortho surgeon

and he put me in a plastic/velcro cast up to my knee to walk and i am going to a sports PT guy in town (he has a great reputation - worked with some of the new england patriots)3x per week for therapy. so far the swelling and bruising has gone down and i am starting to get some of the movement back..........following the orders. i find that i like riding and then drinking beer more than tv and beer! sucks but could be worse.

thanks for the advise.
    Life is a drink and you get drunk.... when you're young.....

Plus size jersey model
    I hit the trail today for the first time in 30 days. Leg felt fine but I only put in about a 30min ride. Still a little nervous to get in a bigger ride. Have not been on the roadie where the pain seemed to be occurring. Might just ease in to the riding over the next week with nothing more then about an hour ride and then ramp it up from there to see what happens. Just really nervous give an all out effort right away.