Hello all,

I broke my scaphoid last year and just wanted to pay back to a source of comfort and sometimes fear. I google'd scaphoid fracture once I found out and learned a lot about the injury from this forum.

Anyways, it was September 27th, 2013 and I was out for a rip with my friends until I fell landing off a jump and caught myself on the landing. I didn't feel much pain at the time and don't remember hearing any noises, just felt like I maybe sprained it. I woke up the next morning in a good bit of pain in my wrist, unable to pick anything up with it. I shrugged it off again since there was no swelling or bruising, just a 'bad sprain' I told myself especially when it felt tenfold better the next day.

Five weeks later my wrist was still not right. I could mostly use it and continued mountain biking on it and going to the gym but clearly there was something up so I went in for the x-ray. Sure enough I found out I have a proximal pole scaphoid fracture. See below to learn more of the anatomy of scaphoid.

The way the doctor broke it down for me is the distal pole is most common and easiest to heal (~4-6 weeks). The waist is slightly less common and longer to heal (~6-8 weeks). And last but not least, the proximal is least likely and usually takes anywhere from 8-16 weeks. Needless to say I was bummed. You have two primary options: 1) cast it and wait or 2) surgery to either screw it together or promote healing.

It should also be noted that a big risk with this fracture is Avascular necrosis (AVN). Look into it.

I chose casting because of budget and I'd rather not be cut open. I went eight weeks in a cast midway up my forearm only to be CT'd and find partial healing. I was bummed and feared AVN but was told it was in healthy condition just slow at healing. This is when I was told my options again were cast with fear of never fully healing, no cast with fear of never healing, surgery to promote healing, or a bone growth stimulator.

Wait a what? Is this Sky Mall? I laughed at the idea of a bone growth stimulator and could only speculate the price. Initially I ruled it out but found out the office offered some low-income sponsorship that actually got the stimulator ($3000) for FREE. Since I was a college student, living on my own and making under a certain threshold I qualified to get it for free. Skeptical of it's ability to do anything, I went another 6 weeks in a cast using the bone growth stimulator for 3 hours every day.

Lo and behold, my fracture healed completely. I had to do another 4 weeks in a splint after my second cast to ease back into things. No major surgery and regained 95% of my wrist motion. Hopefully this success story helps someone else out. I'm a healthy 22 year old male and made sure I didn't use my wrist much while it was casted.