mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well Prostatitis!!! ughhhh

My last ride on the trails was about 10 days ago. Never have any numbness problems. 3 days ago i feel like i have the dreaded roids! Go to the doctor today because i have fever and chills and major pain in the @@s. Get checked out...no roids. but I have prostatitis. Got a scrip for antibiotics. Realize I wont be able to ride for a while.
    However im worried about the future and ongoing problems. My seat is a specialized milano. its pretty comfortable and has not given me problems.
    Are there any better seats to look into to help alleviate this.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    While I haven't used this seat, it doesn't really look all that comfortable. I've used a few different seats, and I really like the WTB seats. I'm currently using a Pure-V on my climbing bike, and it feels great! Hope you're better. What is prostatitis anyway?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Proper Hydration is the key!

After 3 bouts of prostate infection (prostatitus) two years apart I happenend to get referred to a uroloigist that was also a biker. Pressure on the taint is only 1 factor. He suggested getting a saddle with a cutout (I use the Selle Itialia Gel Flow on all my bikes) to rule out that factor.

He then explained that prostititus is most likley a genetic problem starting with a prostate that is just slightly larger and individual anatomy sometimes causes people flairups just from sitting in an office chair. The most important factor is proper hydration. The prostrate is a gland that is irritated by dehydration and can be severely agravated if you aren't urinating enough due to not drinking enough. Then add in that it surrounds the uretha and hydration is doubly important. Water alone is not sufficient, fluid intake with electrolites is the KEY!

For the past 3 years I always mix GU2o in my hydration pack and carry a spare bottle of water in my cage. I have raced many 50milers/ 6-12 hour events/ adventure races since my last infection while using electrolite replacement for my first couple of laps, then water, then back to electrolite, then water, etc....... I have had no problems since and spend twice the time in the saddle than I used to. I often do 4-6 hour training rides 2-3 times a week and still no issues as long as I use the electrolite/water method.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    MTBXC