Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    The difference here is that I'm 21...I'm not "supposed" to be having prostate health problems yet.
    That is strange having these issues as young as you are. I'd consider the supplements though if the symptoms don't stop. Good luck
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    I have been taking probiotics for the past week, which I believe has been helping quite a bit. I forgot to mention that in my last post.

mtbr member
    A bit of an update, since it's been a few weeks since I've posted anything. I started getting a lot of symptoms back about 2 weeks ago and nothing I was doing seemed to be working. I went back to my doctor a couple days ago and we discussed a couple more options. He suggested another anti-biotic, but wanted to see what an anti-inflammitory would do first, since my prostatitis was caused by riding and not an infection. He also believes it did not cause an infection, and that I just have an inflamed prostate. I've been on Naproxen for the past 2 days and so far it has been making things easier, and did so quicker than the Cirpo. I'll be on the Naproxen for a couple weeks and will contact my doctor to let him know how it has been working. I have hopes for this being a possible solution, as does my doctor, but he has another anti-biotic in mind if this doesn't show long term results.

mtbr member
    I have had no luck with supplements, antibiotics, or surgery. The surgery did help a little for a year or so afterwards, but not much, and not for long.

Last month I purchased a Selle Anatomica saddle. I've been using it for a couple of weeks. No rides of over a couple of hours as yet, but I think I've been on it enough that I can recommend it.

I have been dealing with prostate pain and other symptoms for at least 10 years, and before that, always had numbness and pain problems during and after long rides.

Here's a link to one of the threads here on the forum:

Anyone using a Selle Anatomica saddle??

There are other saddles that may work for you just as well or better of course. But this one seems to be working for me. You may want to try it or one of the others.

mtbr member
    I have switched to a Specialized Romin saddle which, so far (2 short rides), has made a difference. I also purchased a Cane Creek Thudbuster to help soak up as much small impact and vibration as possible, and it has been working well, too. Thank you for post, Centurion! I will look into the saddle you suggested if the Romin fails to work for me.

I have read that people who suffer from prostatitis can have small flare-ups and that an anti-inflammatory can help relieve that sometimes also. It seems to be working for me..so if it turns out I just have to take a couple anti-inflamitories when I have problems I'd be ok with that. Just looking for some relief!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I have switched to a Specialized Romin saddle which, so far (2 short rides), has made a difference. I also purchased a Cane Creek Thudbuster to help soak up as much small impact and vibration as possible, and it has been working well, too. Thank you for post, Centurion! I will look into the saddle you suggested if the Romin fails to work for me.

I have read that people who suffer from prostatitis can have small flare-ups and that an anti-inflammatory can help relieve that sometimes also. It seems to be working for me..so if it turns out I just have to take a couple anti-inflamitories when I have problems I'd be ok with that. Just looking for some relief!
    I'm 29, I've been having Prostatitus like systems (diagnosed with antibiotics (more then once)) since I was 27. When I initially had it the doctor told me I need to have more sex (I was married at the time), drink less alcohol, and coffee (caffeine). I've noticed the biggest correlation seems to be with alcohol and caffeine (more so caffeine)intake. Although when I throttle off those substances for a period of time and everything slows down, that I can either A: Take smaller quantities at less frequency and not get symptoms for a substantial period of time, or consume larger quantities and the symptoms come back quicker.

With that being said it seems to me that you need a substantial dry period from these substances to get the symptoms to reside before you get this window to partake in them again. For example, once the symptoms onset reducing intake will not make them subside but completely abstaining will.

As for the sex part, I'm divorced now and having substantially more sex but the onset of the discomfort seems to be clearly associated to my liquid diet, including water in contrast to other liquids I consume...

Hope that's news, and helps some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by navysarchris View Post
    I'm 29, I've been having Prostatitus like systems (diagnosed with antibiotics (more then once)) since I was 27. When I initially had it the doctor told me I need to have more sex (I was married at the time), drink less alcohol, and coffee (caffeine). I've noticed the biggest correlation seems to be with alcohol and caffeine (more so caffeine)intake. Although when I throttle off those substances for a period of time and everything slows down, that I can either A: Take smaller quantities at less frequency and not get symptoms for a substantial period of time, or consume larger quantities and the symptoms come back quicker.

With that being said it seems to me that you need a substantial dry period from these substances to get the symptoms to reside before you get this window to partake in them again. For example, once the symptoms onset reducing intake will not make them subside but completely abstaining will.

As for the sex part, I'm divorced now and having substantially more sex but the onset of the discomfort seems to be clearly associated to my liquid diet, including water in contrast to other liquids I consume...

Hope that's news, and helps some.
    Thanks for your post. My liquid diet is pretty good, all I drink is water and a glass or two of milk a day. I haven't had any alcohol since November and rarely, if ever drink caffeine. I'm not a coffee drinker and drink soda maybe once every 2-4 weeks. I do notice that alcohol made a huge difference. I'm hoping the anti-inflammitories I'm on make a lasting difference, so far they've been great for my symptoms. I'm hoping with time it will shrink down my prostate and it will stay that way. Any flare ups could be quickly shrunk down with the anti-inflammitories also.

mtbr member
    Please keep us posted on how the Specialized Romin saddle works for you. Especially after you've been on it awhile.

bleeding eventually stops
    Urogenital health is one of the biggest issues with cyclists and this is a great thread. Tons of interesting ideas and personal stories. Man it's weird this would hit someone as young as you. The most recognized issue as it pertains to mountain biking is repeated micro-trauma from repeated impacts, which is a bit different than in road cycling where it is more prolonged compression. As others have postulated the better interventions appear to be ways at reducing these traumatic forces on the pudendal nerve either from diffusing the forces (suspension bikes, seat posts) or reducing pressure on the pudendal nerve via saddles designed with this in mind. As we have different anatomy there is likely to be a lot of variability on how well a given saddle works with different people.
    What I described is not prostatitis. Certainly it is possible to be prostatitis and cycling could be an aggravating factor, but given it's not well described to be caused by mechanical forces I'd seek the opinion of a urologist. If it is prostatitis then the first place to start is to make sure it's not an infection. For younger men the biggest culprit is sexually transmitted diseases not e.coli, which would only be partly treated by cipro. Diet and drugs also have roles here both for aggravating and treating the condition.
    I'm really just repeating what a lot of folks have already said, but basically they're right and seems like things are better, but I'd still see a urologist. Last thing you'd want to do is hang up your cleats.

mtbr member
    After the first week on Naproxen (2 a day) I bumped down to 1 a day and have been feeling pretty much back to normal. I've been eating and sleeping better, and have found spicy food, stress, and rich/sweet/satly foods to cause problems, along with stress, lack of sleep and caffeine, so I've been avoiding that as much as I can. The Romin saddle is definitely more comfortable, as in less pressure on my perineal area. I was on the saddle for 2 solid hours today, which is the longest I've ridden in months, so we'll see how I feel for the next couple days. I can't say I've noticed any differences so far after the ride, but I think my mind is expecting to run into issues. Another thing I've found is the mentality of having urination problems can be dominating at times. I've been able to relax more lately and that has also been helping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    One thing I have learned is lots of water and cranberry juice is good. Also the prostate needs to be fortified with the right nutrients to help to be back to optimal ability. You need powerful bullets for prostatitis, 1. Is 200 mg of selenium once to twice and day the second is zinc your prostate flows like a ultimate single track with zinc it's a primary in the prostate. It's all about antioxidants and immune boosters to beef up healing process. Olive leaf extract is a anti viral and can help also. Then finish off with a good multi . What I have noticed is diet, no bad fats your need good fats, bad fats all dairy products red meat or limit, good fats fish aka salmon omega 3 , flax seed ect. Also nuts almonds, macadamia to.to get the gest of it diet helps it just takes time. Also I heard proteolytic enzymes therapy looks real good and I might try but it can enhance antibiotic working could be bad or good dunno. I'm dealing with it and going all out to help heal and be healed happy riding.

mtbr member
    I seem to be back to normal, for the most-part, anyway. Alcohol, caffeine, and super spicy foods bring the symptoms back quickly. Sleep and stress also play a large role in my prostate health. I just hope riding doesn't have a negative effect anymore. I'm still not riding often due to the weather around here, but I'll post up another update once I get riding again. The Romin saddle and Thudbuster are nice, I definitely notice a difference in the pressures compared to my old saddle, but damn that saddle is hard. It's going to take some getting used to still, especially once I'm back to my regular riding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2