see me rollin, they hatin

prickling/tingling - bike related?

trying to make this sound the least hypochondriac as possible, but years ago, when i first started riding, i was experiencing significant pain in the upper body, because i was so weak...and suddenly thrust myself into MTB so it made sense. i would get burning pain between my shoulder blades/upper back, pain in my wrists, and if i rode longer than normal, i'd get tingling in my hands. All these seem fairly common, and over time as i got stronger, most of this went away.

Now i'm getting odd spasms and prickling/tingling in my extermeties for no reason. they are very faint...but noticeable. Seems to happen more often if i exercised hard, or if my back is sore from bad posture at work. Sometimes though, its unprovoked. My latest wierd symptom? getting random flushes of goosbumps on my leg, that come and go for no reason.

lucky me, i check the evil internet. Lots of people with symptoms like me....WHO HAVE MS!!!!!!! Before i run to the doctor crying that i have MS (which isnt suprising, autoimmune disease is rampant in my family) i'd like to think my back is out of whack or something. maybe pinched nerves? i do get upper back soreness fairly often.
    fap

Trail Prospector
    Before you ask, see, call, or tell your Dr. Jackshyt - about prickling/tingling, may want to try some stretching, or yoga.
    Have found the exercise ball solves most off my lower back pain, and yoga the tightness in my hips.
    Please give this a try before going all hypocondriac, or start to gobble vitamin I, or Vicadin.

Know that I'm an old fart who often rides a rigid SS, and is probably way slower than slowerthansnot.
    Believe that the numbness/tingling to be bike related, and that a nubile mtb princess will receive multiple offers for relief,
    some of which may leave you tingling, yet w/o stretching or yoga the pain/numbness will likely continue.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

i honestly wasnt too worried until the random patches of goosbumps would pop up...unrelated to temp change. i figured i was the only one with this wacky phenomenon...turns out i'm not. Though, from what i see, its mostly people with hormonal or neurological issues, or MS!. it hasnt happened much at all today, mostly just earlier this week. something is causing those little nerves and muscles that control goosebumps to just act all wacky with no provoking. its really odd. Either way, i've been trying to stretch and take it easy. I also know people who've gotten better from chiropracters regarding tingling in arms, etc.
    fap

Snap Crackle Pop
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Before you ask, see, call, or tell your Dr. Jackshyt - about prickling/tingling, may want to try some stretching, or yoga.
    Have found the exercise ball solves most off my lower back pain, and yoga the tightness in my hips.
    Please give this a try before going all hypocondriac, or start to gobble vitamin I, or Vicadin.

Know that I'm an old fart who often rides a rigid SS, and is probably way slower than slowerthansnot.
    Believe that the numbness/tingling to be bike related, and that a nubile mtb princess will receive multiple offers for relief, some of which may leave you tingling, yet w/o stretching or yoga the pain/numbness will likely continue.
    That is too funny, lol.

Nicole, try not to panic. I did this to myself a few years back. I had many signs/symtoms of colon cancer and in the weeks leading up to the diagnosis I pretty much had myself convinced I was going to get some eff'd up news. Turned out everything was fine relatively speaking. Lots of stuff can be stress related also.... ask yourself if there is anything going on in your life recently that may be causing more stress than normal. I get tingling/numbness/pain in my arms all the time and after a minor incident yesterday, I totally believe that I need to do more stretching/yoga. It's worth a shot and I don't think it can do any more harm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Go to a doctor. If it is MS intense exercise can exacerbate it. If it is not, then you only wasted a copay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would tend to echo the concerns above; if you think it could be something serious, see a doctor, especially if there is family history of it. If on the other hand, you think it might be bike related, go see a doctor who specializes in sports medicine. Just remember that depending on who you go to, they are more likely to diagnose you with a problem that falls into their specialty, so when in doubt, see the general practitioner first, and ask their opinion.

well, now it seems to have calmed down. A major cause of crawlies and tingling is due to anxiety, which i have. i also know people who've had similar stuff going on, and saw a chiropractor. Considering i have both upper and lower back pain at times, could be worth it. As for seeing my normal doctor...well, i ditched her.
    fap

mtbr member
    chiropractor=not a real doctor. If you want a referral to an amazing massage therapist pm me.
    I have a good friend with ms, a bad situation and not something to tread lightly around if suspected. Get it checked on.

the more i read about MS the more im convinced i'm overracting, and its probably not the case, but i could get into a whole story about how my family is genetically prone to nerve inflammation, and chronic pain, which i myself struggle with and have needed physical therapy (among other things, i've already been back and forth to doctors about other wierd stuff), I"m very burnt on doctors and tests right now, but there are so many similar types of doctors who deal with muscles and whatnot that its hard to know what would be best.
    fap