mtbr member

The Prevention Thread - what do you do?

PLEASE STICKY!

This is what I'm dealing with now [recovery]: ITBFS and patellofemoral stress syndrome (often called runner's knee). I did not focus on prevention as I started mtn biking 2 months ago and since then I've logged over 100+ miles on trails. I had been running trails previously for years (same trails, same distances) and have suffered damaged menisci but not the two problems above.

"If they're not doing a supplemental conditioning program, they need to realize that just doing an activity by itself will not necessarily strengthen all the muscles that you need to support the different joints. A supplemental training program is very, very important, and it doesn't have to be complicated. Conditioning should focus on strengthening the core muscles (the hips, lower back and abdomen) and any of the muscles around the joints that you rely on heavily for your usual activities. Supplemental conditioning is probably one of the biggest keys to being able to maintain an activity or to get back to it."

Good Exercises for Bad Knees | NBC New York
    What training do you do to supplement your mtn biking (e.g. stretching, rolling, massage therapy, weight training)?

And who is currently doing hip work to strengthen their hips? It is very important for prevention/recovery based on multiple articles I've read.

mtbr member
    My ortho doc recommended to not stand up and pedal uphill, rather sit down, less stress on the knees.

mtbr member
    That's right, what I thought. You don't do the prevention. Because what badass mtn biker with a history of broken ribs and collapsed lungs is going to buy the resistance bands from Big 5 like I did last night and then my wife makes fun of me b/c there's this hottie trainer on the cover of the box? Laying down on the ground doing leg lifts with the band. So party. That foam rolling is absolutely brutal. Hope I'm doing it right.

Anyways, I did some exercises and I still feel some side knee pain this morning. Oh well. Perhaps PT next week will help. I haven't biked since Sunday.

Does anybody know of a famous athlete with strong hips? I need to see what exercises they are doing...

mtbr member
    "Cyclists may develop iliotibial band syndrome from overuse. Often changing the position of the cletes by rotating the heels inward can help. Be certain to check the bike seat to make certain it is not too high.

The function of the muscles inserting into the ITB (Tensor Fascia Lata) is to abduct the
    leg. If the hip abductors are weak, then the ITB is being overworked. The ITB does not have an insertion that offers a favorable mechanical advantage. In fact, it is at a considerable disadvantage for the purpose of hip and leg abduction activity. Therefore when the hip abductors are weak, the tensor fascia lata must contract harder and over a longer period of time thus straining the ITB. Make sure that part of your cure is to strengthen your hip and leg abductors."

Dr. Pribut On Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS)