mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Posterior Shoulder Subluxation; experiences? PT?

Hey Folks,

[This is a bit long; feel free to jump down to my request at the bottom. Thanks.]
    A couple of weeks ago, I suffered a posterior shoulder subluxation. [The only reason that I give it this "diagnosis" is that it happened once before, about 10 years ago, when I had super-duper insurance, and was looked after by a good ortho and PT.] This time, my insurance had just expired (adjunct university teaching), and my only recourse was reading up various medical journal articles and the general quandary that is "internet diagnosing and treatment recommendations". [And, that's still where I am.]
    I rested it as much as I could for a week, then did mobility exercises for a day. My range of motion was good, and there was just a little pain, so I began doing the typical PT exercises with a resistance band: external & internal rotation; ab/aduction. And I've been doing these, because his explanation made sense, and it felt right when I tried it out:
    Exercise for rotator cuff, rotator cuff injury, shoulder impingement syndrome - YouTube

Now, two weeks and one day later (and counting) it's coming along pretty well; there seems to be less and less pain, and the shoulder seems to be "slipping" less. At the same time, I feel rather clueless: working without a PT, I'm not sure how much to do; my tendency is to four sets of the exercises I mentioned above, twice a day (morning and afternoon), almost to exhaustion, which I expect is too much, so now I'm trying to limit myself.

So, I'm wondering if any of you folks have similar experience you can share with me. Of course, everyone's body is different, and heals at different rates, I understand, and won't take your testimony as advice. I'm especially looking for folks with posterior subluxations and rotator cuff injuries, and how they went about healing them.

Massive thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Subluxation

Time is your friend here. Experience multiple subs as a teenager doing batting practice. Finally gave up on that. Through college, a few "shoulder slips" putting on my hockey jersey. In 09, I cross rutted my dirt bike, hung on too long and did a partial dislocation on my left shoulder. Did PT for a month, did quite a bit of range of motion, and it literally took about a year to get back into form. No major falls since, but a few crashes to get my confidence back in the shoulder. The worst part of it was the spasms the few days after the crash.

In all my cases, the shoulder was partially out for a short time,put it back myself in the dirt bike accident) so this is a good thing......less than a minute in each case.

mtbr member
    I had a subluxation incident about 12 years ago and my shoulder has been lax since. Twice this summer I went down hard and subluxed my shoulder (posteriorly). I babied it for several months and continued to ride of course. Finally in September it flared up again this time bad enough to seek treatment. Dr. assumed rotator cuff and labral tears but referred me to PT. I saw the therapist 5 times and was sent home with resistance bands for a home excercise program. Exactly the same excercises you are doing. Within 6-7 weeks my strength and ROM improved drastically. In my situation I'm going to need to keep these excercises up for life because my shoulder is so loose now. Another incident and I'll probably be surgery bound. I'd back off on the intensit/y/frequency but you're on the right track, keep up the excercises and as wingnut said, time is your friend. Mine still feels wierd at times but it hasn't stopped me from riding