breathing helium

Post ride sugar is wacked...FEVER?!

Ok, I went on a long ride today, right at 6 hours. It was straight up to the snow line and then straight back down to the ocean. I ate two gels, two bottles of Heed, and 1/2 a tortilla with PB and bananas. I got home from the ride and I coud barely move. I mean, yeah my legs were sore but this was way different. I had absolutely no energy, I was shaking, general felt like death, and had a fever of 103. I have never had a fever after riding before and had no symptoms before. It is almost gone now, but it has taken about 6 hours for it to subside. I feel probably 85% now.

First off gels suck. They make my stomach feel terrible. What do you guys use? Is there anything that I can use to keep my stomach from getting so upset. I felt like choofing on the side of the road. Does anybody know of a way to get good performance nutrition without the dreaded "gel tummy"?

I think I may have gotten a major sugar rush from the gels and then slammed down afterward. My sugar REALLY bottomed out something fierce. I do have hypogycemia and so that could be the culprit right there. They have tested me and my sugar levels go straight up and then straight down, there's no gradual release of insulin. It's all or nothing.

At this point I think that the only thing that I can do to help it would be to eat smaller bits along the ride rather than eating a whole gel at a time.

Any info or similar experience would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

real food

I always take real food for a ride that long, a turkey sandwitch always hits the spot. A few gels and just some plain water. Trust me a sandwitch will never taste better.

breathing helium
    My wife tried to fix me a ham sandwich. I declined. Bad moove I guess. I was seriously green feeling. I'm feeling fine now, but man that was an ugly experience.

College Boy
    Well you are hypo just like me.
    One problem with gels is they pretty much are pure sugar, plus most of the other stuff you listed everything in it is pure carbs. The problem with that is it will spike you blood suger level and you body reaction is to produce insolined to reduce it. If you are hypo like me that is never a good thing. I have to avoid spiking my blood suger all the time because after the sugar hit I crash and unlike most people I do not pull out of it very quickly and it takes while for my blood sugar to level off. Something I like to carry with me on my rides is a Zone bar or 2. They contain 15grams of proiten and protian is a good blood sugar stablizer and does not cause it to spike. They also contain quite a bit of the other stuff as well and each bar is 210 calories which is nice for riding long distances in keeping yourself fueled.

That being said the stuff you listed looks like you got heat stroke/dehydration. I basing this on the fact you did not list how much water you drank. My guess is you needed to drink around 6l for the ride (liter an hour is what I go off of). A few years ago I end up getting hit with sunstroke, Dehydration and exhaustion all at the same time (backpacking trip that on a day hike we ran out of water). That night I did not eat dinner, was running a fever and pretty much all the stuff you listed. Along with that I start holustanting that night and kind of scared the other guy in my tent

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, sounds like you got double-whammied with some heat in there too.

I try to keep some calories coming in and get lots of hydration happening for longer rides. I find that if I add some flavor to my water, I will drink more...I usually end up mixing in some Gatorade and/or Accelerade at a weak concentration to add some calories and taste.

I also am not fond of the gels...they are quick, but the taste is horrid (brown rice squishy, anyone?). I've found that Sharkies, Powerbeans and fruit leathers find their way into my pack more often. For the really long rides, that's when I pack some real food.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    Well you are hypo just like me.
    One problem with gels is they pretty much are pure sugar, plus most of the other stuff you listed everything in it is pure carbs. The problem with that is it will spike you blood suger level and you body reaction is to produce insolined to reduce it. If you are hypo like me that is never a good thing. I have to avoid spiking my blood suger all the time because after the sugar hit I crash and unlike most people I do not pull out of it very quickly and it takes while for my blood sugar to level off. Something I like to carry with me on my rides is a Zone bar or 2. They contain 15grams of proiten and protian is a good blood sugar stablizer and does not cause it to spike. They also contain quite a bit of the other stuff as well and each bar is 210 calories which is nice for riding long distances in keeping yourself fueled.

That being said the stuff you listed looks like you got heat stroke/dehydration. I basing this on the fact you did not list how much water you drank. My guess is you needed to drink around 6l for the ride (liter an hour is what I go off of). A few years ago I end up getting hit with sunstroke, Dehydration and exhaustion all at the same time (backpacking trip that on a day hike we ran out of water). That night I did not eat dinner, was running a fever and pretty much all the stuff you listed. Along with that I start holustanting that night and kind of scared the other guy in my tent
    Thanks for the tip on the Zone bar. I'll certainly try some of those. I don't think I drank enough water. I drank 3 water bottles, 2 with HEED...which my friend says taste like dish water. I agree.

Yes, the hypo thing kind of sucks really. I am 6' 1 3/4" tall and weigh 152 lbs, eat like a horse all day long, but cannot seem to gain weight if I try. It's nice in ways, but, when it comes to stuff like this, having a metabolism like a hummingbird plain sucks. I'll have to plan better next time by drinking more water and bringing better nutrition, including some real food.

Again, thanks for the help!

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Yeah, sounds like you got double-whammied with some heat in there too.

I try to keep some calories coming in and get lots of hydration happening for longer rides. I find that if I add some flavor to my water, I will drink more...I usually end up mixing in some Gatorade and/or Accelerade at a weak concentration to add some calories and taste.

I also am not fond of the gels...they are quick, but the taste is horrid (brown rice squishy, anyone?). I've found that Sharkies, Powerbeans and fruit leathers find their way into my pack more often. For the really long rides, that's when I pack some real food.
    Thanks Mike. I'll try anything to get away from those gels. They do taste like a$$. It's like melted cake frosting...but kind of gritty too. Well, sounds like I'll be better prepared for my next "epic". In light of my ride yesterday, it has given me newfound respect for these guys that ride 100+ mile races. The Great Divide Race is plain nuts! ...in a good way.

I'm a dog person
    I had the same thing happen after a 24 hour race. I got sick during the race and couldn't keep anything down (kept throwing up), thus no nutrition. I was completely spent at the finish and had a bit of fever - mostly due to dehydration.

Anyhow, I'll second the general theme being espoused in previous posts. I'm not a gel fan at all. When I go for short rides, less than three hours, I don't eat anything. If it is in the 4-6 hour range, I'll eat mostly fruit, some fig newtons and lots of water. Longer rides than six hours and I start eating "real" food and throw in some vitamin C, a multivitamin w/ B complexes and some type of electrolytic drink. I'm a big fan of bologna as it is transportable, easy to chew and has a ton of calories. Some other guys I've gone on epic rides with have packed fried chicken.

One note on the vitamins and electrolytes: Don't overdo it. People tend to really junk out on these. In reality, if you are eating and hydrating well, most of your needs are met. I've done 24 hour races on a couple of C tabs, fig newtons, bologna, Gotorade and some calcium enriched OJ...and lots of water.

Despite all of the advice you are getting here, you might have to experiment a bit on what works for you. I tried Spam once and you would think it would be like bologna, but it didn't work for me. Neither does the aforementioned fried chicken. Fig newtons are my salvation but others find them too dry. Lastly, be sure you are eating constantly in very small amounts and drinking water.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    To me, HEED works well for a ride that is 2hours or less. Perpetuem is the choice drink for anything over two hours. Hammer Gel products work well for me too.

Other items I will pack:
    A couple PB & Honey sammichs.
    Turkey Jerkey
    Banana

breathing helium
    Thanks Emptybeer. I'll try the bologna for sure. My wife suggested that I carry sausage or something loaded with fat and calories. I think you hit the nail on the head though. Everyone's metabolism is different and what works for some, may not work for others. I know now that the gel route just won't work for me. I do the same thing as you on shorter rides. I don't eat anything but maybe half of a Clif Bar. Clif Bars seem to have enough "real" stuff in them to work. They're not over-engineered I guess. Well, thanks again for the help. I'll try the bologna/fried chicken next time. Damn, you got me in the mood for a fried bologna sandwich and some of the colonel's 12 herbs and spices!

Imust say with your handle, I thought you were going to suggest a six pack of Budweiser!

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by imjps
    To me, HEED works well for a ride that is 2hours or less. Perpetuem is the choice drink for anything over two hours. Hammer Gel products work well for me too.

Other items I will pack:
    A couple PB & Honey sammichs.
    Turkey Jerkey
    Banana
    Thanks imjps. I'll try to get ahold of some of the Perpetuem. Man, I love a good PB&J. Turkey jerky and bananas are some of my favorite things too. I'm going to have myself a feast on my next ride! I can just mount one of those picnic baskets to the front of my bike. I can't wait!!!!! I'll show that metabolism who's boss!

College Boy
    big thing you need to make sure you carry is something loaded with protein. Spiking you blood sugar with carbs is never a good idea. But the sauged is good just because of the protein more than anything else.

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    Imust say with your handle, I thought you were going to suggest a six pack of Budweiser!
    I'm not one to turn down a good cold beer (especially a draft Guiness), but quite honestly I can't remember the last time I had more than one in a day...maybe when I was stupid in high school 20+ years ago...

BTW, emptybeer = MTBer
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybeer
    BTW, emptybeer = MTBer
    Gotcha!

Sorry, I'm a little dense sometimes.

I'm a dog person
    Gotcha!

Sorry, I'm a little dense sometimes.
    No worries, no offense taken.

mtbr member
    For gels, I've been using e-gels - they have electrolytes as well as sugar and seem to help wiht cramping when it's really hot. Of course I always bring a couple of PBJs on whole grain bread along on longer rides.....nothign better as far as I'm concerned

breathing helium
    Yes, PB&J's are food of the gods. I sometimes bring a PB&B (banana) so that I don't get the dreaded "jeely-leech" into the bread on the non PB side. Ah, the science of a sandwich!

I'm a dog person
    Yes, PB&J's are food of the gods. I sometimes bring a PB&B (banana) so that I don't get the dreaded "jeely-leech" into the bread on the non PB side. Ah, the science of a sandwich!
    More science for you. My wife showed me how to keep the jelly from "leeching" through the bread during rides: Put peanut butter on both halves. It creates a barrier to keep the bread dry.

breathing helium
    More science for you. My wife showed me how to keep the jelly from "leeching" through the bread during rides: Put peanut butter on both halves. It creates a barrier to keep the bread dry.
    It takes the mind of woman to think of something so genius! In all my years of being a PB&J junkie, I have never thought of that! Who do I send the check to?

Seriously THANKS!

Now it's a PB&J&PB sandwich!

06Trance2
    That's the coolest thing I've ever heard. I can't wait to try it. haha! Thank your wife for me.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007
    glycogen reserves for ~2hrs

Buring 500-800 cals/hr

you need to take in many more cal from real food

fruit, low glycemic carbs, and protien (which contains plenty of fat, choose a healty one)

replace at a rate of 200-300 cal/hr after one hr of riding.

Know your sweat rate and take in that amount of water per hr.

Electrolytes, vitamins and minerals should be included in the foods and drinks.
    Cliff bars make great products, stay away from too many gels (fast sugars, not long lasting)

Short rides not so important until recovery.

Long rides you must treat with respect.

Nutrition is a science, treat it as such.

Happy riding and be first in line

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickt30
    glycogen reserves for ~2hrs

Buring 500-800 cals/hr

you need to take in many more cal from real food

fruit, low glycemic carbs, and protien (which contains plenty of fat, choose a healty one)

replace at a rate of 200-300 cal/hr after one hr of riding.

Know your sweat rate and take in that amount of water per hr.

Electrolytes, vitamins and minerals should be included in the foods and drinks.
    Cliff bars make great products, stay away from too many gels (fast sugars, not long lasting)

Short rides not so important until recovery.

Long rides you must treat with respect.

Nutrition is a science, treat it as such.

Happy riding and be first in line
    Thanks Nick. Good list there.

I especially agree on the gel part. I need real food on longer rides. I read in Bicycling the new potatoes are good. I'm going to try that on my next epic ride.