Thread: Post-Op

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Post-Op

Hey guys! i havent posted in months and would like to start posting again. Since my ACL rupture in December i reagravated the injury in March only to worsen things. I had an ACL reconstruction and some meniscus repair yesterday and the dr said my knee was so bad that the graft from the cadaver wasnt enough so he had to graft from my hamstring. Im in extreme pain today and wanted to know from some experienced minds as to how long i would be in pain for. Thanks for everyones input in advance.

mtbr member

Pain

Quote Originally Posted by artoledo
    Hey guys! i havent posted in months and would like to start posting again. Since my ACL rupture in December i reagravated the injury in March only to worsen things. I had an ACL reconstruction and some meniscus repair yesterday and the dr said my knee was so bad that the graft from the cadaver wasnt enough so he had to graft from my hamstring. Im in extreme pain today and wanted to know from some experienced minds as to how long i would be in pain for. Thanks for everyones input in advance.
    I had my ACL (Post Tib tendon Allograft) and Meniscal reparirs last week. I had a block, so no pain for the first 12-18 hours. After that, I kept pretty medicated for the first couple of days. I could certainly tell when my meds were wearing off. I tried to be the tough guy and go without meds around the third day, but the knee was too sore so I used them PRN through about the 4th day. I never had any real pain, just some significant joint line soreness/discomfort.

I had swithced to Ibuprofen around day four. Check with your surgeon, some literature suggests that the NSAIDS delay the healing time after surgeries, therefore, they donot want you taking them. I believe the Ib was the best thing for me, it really moderated my discomfort and brought down the edema quickly.

Today is day nine post-op and I have no pain or discomfort, very little edema, and near normal quad tome.
    I am already up to spinning 30 minutes easy on the stationary bike.

Hoping quick heeling for you, hang in there.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    artoledo - hang in there! the first few days are definately the worst. i had the same procedure done (hammy) about 5 months ago. from what i recall, i was an avid consumer of vicodin for the first week or so. possibly up to 2 weeks, can't quite recall. after that, i went with the over-the-counter stuff. if it doesn't bother you too much, stick with the pain meds. they may loop you out (and cause other issues), but they really saved my bacon for the first few days. allowed me to sleep a bunch and lie there in relative comfort. it sux, though, no doubt about it. but you're on the road to recovery. it will just get better from here on out.

hang in there, and best of luck. feel free to drop a pm if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the info guys. im on demerol and a cooler with a pump running through my brace. im in a little pain right now but nothing extreme yet. i feel it working its way up tho.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey guys, week five post-op. I still cant walk on it because i had severe damage. I had ACL Tear, Meniscus damage and bucket handle tears. I am off of pain killers. I am up to 105 degrees on the CPM machine. Still using the brace to sleep and lost lots of muscle in my right leg. Still have pain and discomfort from time to time. I have to add that recovery sucks a big one!