mtbr member
    May 2004

Possible ligament tear - MRI needed?

Last Sat at I avoided a crash by sort of running it out. I immediately had some pain on the right leg, lower leg, right side just above the shin (soft tissue). I thought I pulled a muscle or bruised it. Now, when I stand and grab my right foot with my left hand and turn foot so the bottom of my foot is facing left, it hurts real bad and radiates up the leg.

I is this maybe a micro tear in the stuff that holds mucsle to bone (ligaments?)
    should I go to the doc and see about an MRI?

I have been riding XC, but don't want to get back to the jump park until this is healed.

last night it got hurting so bad it woke me up at 2am and had to take ibuprofen.

advice appreciated!

It's great we have this forum (mtbr) for us to support each other!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would be more worried about a possible fractured or tibia or fibula...the only way i think you would have torn a ligament is if you twisted your ankle (this happened to me last year) you should probably get an x-ray to make sure you don't have a bone fracture.

If it is a ligament, it won't show up on the x-ray and doctors can't really do much for lower leg ligaments anyway.....they basically heal on their own and it takes a long time (6-12 months)

I had a crash last year where I twisted my ankle to the point where it tore my ligaments and I also fractured my tibula and fibula.....was off the bike for about 7 months

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thanks for your response - yes that's what it was a twist. I think if one fractured, it would be hard to walk, which is not the case, and i can ride. I thought MRI does show soft tissue so that a tear or micro tear woudl show up on that, but you're right, i don't know what they can do about it. that sucks your crash.

searching the net i found some good exercises to limber up and strengthen all around the anke joints, shin and lower leg muscles. some work balance too (one leg two motion calf raises). cheers!

Masher
    I didn't totally understand your last post but you shouldn't be shy about seeing a doctor when you have pain that doesn't go away on it's own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you can walk and don't have any swelling then you probably don't have a fracture or a ligament tear, sounds more like a pulled tendon......your insurance if you have it will probably not approve and MRI due to the cost..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    so called "insurance" these days! Luckily there's an PT on the Idaho board who is nice enuf to see me tomorrow, is that a nice guy or what!

Thank you for the responses!