mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Idea! Poor pedaling can cause injury

I have found that poor pedaling caused a ache in my knee. When I started riding I would mash the heck out of the pedal not to mention that my seat was to low. That coupled with Georgiaís hilly terrain it was a problem. It baffled me my knee would hurt every time I got on the bike. I thought I really messed it up and a sport which I have come to love I would have to let go. Now that I have increased cadence and went easy on the down stroke I have better endurance and the ache has gone away. I have learned that I canít go 60 miles mashing my pedals.

Anyone have techniques to go from mashing to a good pedal technique? I feel I have lost some speed is there a middle ground.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty
    Anyone have techniques to go from mashing to a good pedal technique? I feel I have lost some speed is there a middle ground.
    A trainer is a good way to get your form down without any other distractions. Yup, no distractions at all, just pedal away, over and over and over.... *yawn* Seriously though, they really do help your legs learn the most efficient stroke and it isn't that boring with some good music or videos.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There is still a time to mash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty
    I have found that poor pedaling caused a ache in my knee. When I started riding I would mash the heck out of the pedal not to mention that my seat was to low. That coupled with Georgiaís hilly terrain it was a problem. It baffled me my knee would hurt every time I got on the bike. I thought I really messed it up and a sport which I have come to love I would have to let go. Now that I have increased cadence and went easy on the down stroke I have better endurance and the ache has gone away. I have learned that I canít go 60 miles mashing my pedals.

Stand up and hammer away. It helps you stretch your legs and build speed faster.

Mashing when seated...especially when the seat is low...is a sure way to abuse your knees.