mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Idea! Poor pedaling can cause injury

I have found that poor pedaling caused a ache in my knee. When I started riding I would mash the heck out of the pedal not to mention that my seat was to low. That coupled with Georgiaís hilly terrain it was a problem. It baffled me my knee would hurt every time I got on the bike. I thought I really messed it up and a sport which I have come to love I would have to let go. Now that I have increased cadence and went easy on the down stroke I have better endurance and the ache has gone away. I have learned that I canít go 60 miles mashing my pedals.

Anyone have techniques to go from mashing to a good pedal technique? I feel I have lost some speed is there a middle ground.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty
    Anyone have techniques to go from mashing to a good pedal technique? I feel I have lost some speed is there a middle ground.
    A trainer is a good way to get your form down without any other distractions. Yup, no distractions at all, just pedal away, over and over and over.... *yawn* Seriously though, they really do help your legs learn the most efficient stroke and it isn't that boring with some good music or videos.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There is still a time to mash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty
    I have found that poor pedaling caused a ache in my knee. When I started riding I would mash the heck out of the pedal not to mention that my seat was to low. That coupled with Georgiaís hilly terrain it was a problem. It baffled me my knee would hurt every time I got on the bike. I thought I really messed it up and a sport which I have come to love I would have to let go. Now that I have increased cadence and went easy on the down stroke I have better endurance and the ache has gone away. I have learned that I canít go 60 miles mashing my pedals.

Stand up and hammer away. It helps you stretch your legs and build speed faster.

Mashing when seated...especially when the seat is low...is a sure way to abuse your knees.