Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tackleberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    53

    Poison Oak Rash Treatment

    Hey guys,

    I got a bad case of poison oak after riding last Sunday. Well, I actully got it from decontaminating my wife's legs after she rode through some. I forgot about it, and ended up itching a mosquito bite on my armpit with my nice grippy gloves. I was all sweaty, too, so it was a perfect plant for the oil.

    The location and severity of the rash would inhibit me from working (diver, I spend my day in a big rubber suit), so I had to get it taken care of fast. I got the steroid shot with no effect, but a friend recommended this http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/poultice and it worked the same day, dried it right up!

    You can buy activated charcoal at the drugstore or at GNC.

    Thought someone might benifit from it .

    Take care,
    Tack

  2. #2
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,501
    Huh, hadn't heard of that one. I had to get a shot for poison oak once years ago and it helped a LOT.

    Showering with Fels-Naptha soap after exposure, was the preventative that I used to use. We used to hike through it in the hills. Now they have some stuff called Tecnu that I've heard works well. http://www.teclabsinc.com/ I haven't used it but a friend says it works well.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  3. #3
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,501
    OK, so I got a really bad case of poison oak last weekend while riding really narrow bush lined singletrack....argh!

    I usually machine wash all my gear, chamois, shirts, socks, and shorts with cold water, little detergent (1/4 cap of All Free and Clear), gente/handwash cycle (on Large load setting so that they have lots of room to float around without grinding against each other) and hang dry. Don't want to destroy them with hot water and/or too much soap!

    So it seems that warmer water and/or more detergent would help clean the poison oak, but is really bad for my clothes. What is the best way to decontaminate my gear?

    Think I got it from my bike tires (post-ride checking my chain with only a pair of shorts on) and/or bushwacking down the narrow trails.

    Going out to was my bike with liquid dish soap and water.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: proto2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    688
    Try this stuff before a ride near PO and use the soap afterwards.
    http://www.tecnuextreme.com/poison-o...FRFMagodOWL2cw
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

  5. #5
    ZEN RIDER!
    Reputation: Mt.Biker E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    719

    tea tree oil

    I just had a bad bout on my forearm. The technu works great the first couple of days, but once the rash is established you need to dry it out.
    I tried calamine lotion but its messy & works slowly but stops the itch for a few hours.

    I used the tea tree oil one night out of desperation to try to stop the itch & i was amazed how quickly it started to dry the rash out & it stops the itch. I used the concentrated oil (melaluca) & put it on a few times a day.
    My arm is 100% healed after 1 week.
    Life in every breath

  6. #6
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    356
    Also,
    there is a product called silverlon. It is made of silver. When damp it has millions of ionic reactions. This irritates the infection. We have sold this to hospitals and they love it. Amputees use it a lot to limit infections. Great stuff for burns, poinsy oak, ivy etc.

  7. #7
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,501
    Took Benadryl tablets 2 - 3 times per day for about 5 days and all better. The Benadryl blocks the histamine reaction of your body to the irritating substance, Poison Oak in this case. Cool showers, washing all affected clothing, gear and bike to keep from getting more of the plants oils on my skin.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  8. #8
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,501
    Found the soap box: All Terrain brand Poison Ivy/Oak Bar.... www.allterrainco.com is their site. I know Tecnu maybe better for preventing, but I already had it and wanted to releive the existing itching.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •