mtbr member
    Jan 2007

PLEASE HELP!! Upper Back/Shoulder Pain!!

Hello All,

About a month ago or so, I was doing some yardwork. I was working with a wheelbarrow, and I went to lift it and it felt like somebody jacked me right in the upper back, between the spine and the right shoulder blade. The pain was immediate and quite serious.

I went to the doctor's about 2 weeks after this event, still suffering from the same type of pain. He more-or-less said I strained something, gave me some motrin, and sent me on my way. About a week after that, I contacted the doc again with the same symtoms, and he sent me to PT. I've been going to PT for the past couple of weeks, and seemingly nothing is getting better.

Basically, the pain seems to originate between my spine and my right shoulder pain. The worse pain occurs when I make a motion to tie my shoes or put on my socks - anything that involves shrugging my shoulders forward and/or putting my chin to my chest. Sharp pain in those instances, and dull pain for the rest of the time. The mornings are especially worse.

So, does anybody have any advice or tips for this?? I'm really getting desperate, as biking and even runnning have become quite painful and uncomfortable. Should I ask for more tests? MRI? X-ray? Or should I just go along with the PT? By the way, the PT thinks one of my upper vertebrae (T3-T4) may be turned, and the muscles are spasming around it.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you so much in advance for anything you can pass along....

VPI
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would try and get a MRI. You could also try a Chriopractor. They should x-ray before working on you.

I'm a dog person
    Did you get a second (or even third) opinion?
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    say bro try shower head therapy try some back excercises stretyching mostly find out how hard too explain on internet but it is done on your back face upm

my niggs

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My guess based on similar experience is pinched nerve. Try the chiro or some acupuncture.
    Oh - and get a new doctor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Do you have any pins/needles or pain radiating into your neck, face, or down your arm? If so, then that could be a pinched nerve (which I've had).

Is your PT doing any massage therapy? It is amazing how painful strained muscles can be in the upper back, especially when they're in spasm mode - it's a vicious cycle. I'd see your PCP or ortho and get a script to try some muscle relaxants to see if that helps calm things down. But you do need to determine the root cause, i.e., whether it's only muscle related or muscle spasms resulting from something else.