mtbr member

PLC and ACL torn with previos total reconstruction. start the adventure.

Figured I better start a thread here. I slipped a pedal on a drop to flat and after waiting two days for the pain to go away I went to the doctor and just got my mri. My ACL is near conpleatly gone with the PCL being compleatly torn. About 6 years ago i had torn all 4 of the major liggaments in a motorcycle accedent. Reading myMRI report they noted lots of osification calcification micro fractures and other chronic injuries. It basicly said what i allready knew, my knee is ****ed.
    I have an ortho apt the 3rd of december. I hopeing that il get a surgerydate set up then. After reading some other knee surgery threads it looks like ill be off the vike for about 4 months and not be back to my new normal for a year or two.

Ill post up some mri pics and stuff later but i guess this is were my online jurney to recovery begins prepare for lots if pointless updates.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

It's been 4 months since my injury. I am in week 7 post surgery for meniscus repair and an ACL graft. It took about 3 weeks to get on the exercise bike a it's been a struggle. But I just got the go ahead to road ride. It feels great to get out even if it is on pavement.
    I find small goal are keeping me sane.
    Good luck with your recovery!

mtbr member
    I tore my ACL in March, and had the patella graft procedure to reconstruct it at the beginning of April. I was cleared for easy rides on a flat bike path by the end of June and easy singletrack with some hills by mid-July. I was back riding technical singletrack and big climbs like normal by mid-August - about 4.5 months post surgery. My knee feels great after riding. When I lay off for a few days it will stiffen up and feel sore. This is still the case now 7 months out of surgery.

Your injury sounds more severe than mine, so YMMV. My understanding is that the PCL tear is not common or easily repaired. Good luck with the surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Repo

mtbr member
    Thanks For the replies. It helps knowing that there are lots of others who have all ready recovered and are riding again.

just posting this link for the reference of others that might stumble on this thread looking for inf, it has some good information regarding treatment and expectations.

COMBINED ACL AND PCL INJURIES

mtbr member

It's been four months since I got my ACL, PCL and MCL reconstructed. The first few weeks were painful and the recovery was slow. After that its been a little bit easyer and recovery has been faster. I have been using a kneebrace since day one, now I can walk without it inside the house, but outside and when doing exercises I have to use it (and it's very slipery outside at the moment here in Finland). I can move pretty well with the brace, but without it my knee feels still very weak. My range of movement in the knee is 0-130, I've been riding stationery bike about 7weeks now. My doc says, it will take a year or so to ride in the woods/trails again... we will see ;-)

The mental side is as fustrating as the physical side. It is very hard when don't know if you can ride a bike well again or not. Just got to keep the spirit up I guess.

Hang in there, buddy. We're gonna make it!