mtbr member

plantar fasciitis

anyone have any suggestions of a good mtb shoe to wear?

mtbr member

plantar fasciitis

Your MTB shoe isn't necessarily the key
    1)get some arch supports for most of your shoes
    2)lay off wearing sandal or crocs (shoes without arch)
    3)there are apparatus to immobilize your foot at night to help

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    getting arch supports in your shoes is key. I have custom ones I wear at work and Supefeet in most of my causal shoes. Stretching is also a big thing to consider, i had to go thru two rounds of cortizone shots in my feet and a ton of stretching along with my custom insoles to get relief. Another helpful thing is to freeze a waterbottle and keep it in your freezer. Take it out and drop it in a pillow case and roll your arch on the frozen bottle. It's amazing how much that will help. You can do some stretching with the frozen bottle as well. It's feels awesome when I get home from work as I stand 8-10hrs a day.

mtbr member
    Oh my GOD I feel for you man. I had PF about ten years ago that lasted for about two years. That is some seriously irritating pain right there. I did the night splints, rolling a golf ball on the area, cortizone shots, everything. No joke, the only thing that worked for me were some heel cup inserts called Heel-That-Pain. Its like a normal heel cup support thingy but it has a hard ridge or "bar" running right under the Plantar. Worked phenomenally well. I can't remember how long it took to eliminate the pain completely cause it was so long ago, but the pain stopped, and it never came back. I stopped wearing them after a couple of months I think, but still have them in my closet just in case. Seriously man.......try them. I wouldn't put them in cycling shoes though. Just wear them when you are off the bike.
    I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. Just hoping to get you some help.

mtbr member
    Something I just found out about through looking for therapy for a broken hand is therapy tool called the Hivamat 200. It uses pulsed electrical waves in a unique way. Found out that many Athletic departments in College and NFL use these regularly. I don't have experience personally with Plantar results, but I've been told it works remarkably well. No affiliation, just a heads up.

mtbr member
    Thank you everyone for your input, I just got some superfeet and have been taping my arch which seems to make a huge difference.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Massage really helped me. Find a massage therapist that knows about plantar fasciitis and have her work just on your foot and leg for the hour.

mtbr member
    I have it in both feet . Right now I'm riding flats with hard arches inside. Like above mentioned, stay away from sandals and shoes with no arch support . Some days it good and some excruciating. Physical therapy helps
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    This is going to sound crazy but it worked for me. I am NOT a doctor so take this with a grain of salt. I had PF bad for years and tried everything. Nothing worked. I could not run at all. Could hardly stand up in the morning. After reading "Born to Run" (excellent book about barefoot running) I decided to go "natural" or as natural as possible in polite society. I went barefoot as often as I could (all summer- I'm a high school teacher). I replaced all my properly sized shoes with shoes that were 1/2 to one full size too big and I TOOK OUT all arch support. It took a few weeks but all the structure in my feet opened up, stretched out and started working properly. After 2 or 3 months the PF DISAPPEARED. It has been about 4 years now. I am running again too, no problems. So to answer your question about bike shoes, I'd say any brand or color you like, just get them one size bigger than your feet. Good luck

mtbr member
    Doing the recommended PF foot exercises every day has really helped my condition more that any specific shoe inserts.

Just my situation!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had it so bad I thought I was going to die. It rendered me almost immobile. Massaging the bottom of the foot in the arch area with firm pressure for 15 minutes religiously first thing every morning after I woke up and then 15 minutes of hamstring stretches every morning cleared it up for good in two weeks. The massage can be very painful at the beginning, but once you get started, it simmers down pretty quickly and actually feels good. I now do regular hamstring stretches and it has not returned in five years. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Use the strassburg sock or something like it at night. Along with stretches, massaging, & taping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Stretch and stretch if you let it go like I did it can turn into heel spurs which hurt way more than the PF. I had to have some sonic therpay to help breakdown the spurs, it worked and regular stretching and night splint is doing wonders.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY