mtbr member

Plantar Fasciatus (heel spur)

Would like to know if anyone has this condition. I developed it after I
    Began to heal from my broken tibial pleateau. Now that I can extend my leg and take non weight bearing steps with crutches it hurts to place feel on the ground it feels like a bone spur!

Anyone have this and what did you do?

I found this on the web
    Plantar Fasciitis - Symptoms, Treatments, Causes of Plantar Fasciitis - from WebMD

mtbr member
    You list two different conditions...
    Heel Spur
    Plantar Fasciitis

So do you know you have one or the other... or both?
    Or do you think you might have them?

It's possible that your tendons are just tight and in combination with your main injury, you have some soreness upon weight bearing.
    Some form of physical therapy should help if it's just that things tightened up while you were recuperating from the broken tib.
    You shouldn't have either injury just because you were off your feet though. Spurs and faciitis are conditions of overuse, trauma(impact)... and it sounds as though you have not been using that foot during recovery.

Never had a spur, but I have had plantar fasciitis.
    I got it from being a bit overzealous when I first started running barefoot.
    The pain got to where all I had to do was slightly push on my achilles tendon or the sole of my foot and it would be very painful.

I had to stop running, take anti-inflammatories for a bit, ice it, and rest it when I could.
    Eventually I started just walking barefoot, then mixing a bit of walking & jogging, then on to full-on running.

Stretching helped a lot for me, but only after the inflammation went down... doesn't do much good to keep irritating the irritated part!

For either condition, the first step involves rest, ceasing the action that caused it, and support as necessary.

You can ice or heat depending on where you're at with your injury. That might help alleviate some of the discomfort and any associated swelling.

Orthotics are another option as well.
    Surgery is the last... for spurs, that is.
    Talk to your ortho doc who dealt with your tib injury if he/she is still available to you.

mtbr member
    My ailment is plantar fasciateus, thanks for the reply it helps.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've been a long time sufferer with planters fasciitis. The basics:

A. Stretch
    B. ice (freeze a plastic coke bottle with water in it an roll your foot on that)
    C. Stretch
    D. Anti-inflammatories
    E. Stretch
    F. Orthotics
    G. Stretch
    H. DON'T walk barefoot, EVER!
    I. And if I didn't mention it, stretch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Strassburg sock at night or equivalent night sling. Then, stretch in the morning and before bed along with ice waterbottle rolling. Be religious for at least one month after.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuitbiker View Post
    Strassburg sock at night or equivalent night sling. Then, stretch in the morning and before bed along with ice waterbottle rolling. Be religious for at least one month after.
    Ditto... The ice bottle rolling is a great way to ice for this. I used a soft brace at night for a while as well. Luckily mine subsided. I have heard of folks that have this for a loooonnng time. I wish you a quick recovery - you've already went through enough!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I enjoyed running but developed plantar and it became progressively worse until I could barely walk. Doc sent me to phys therapy and I tried ice, strassburg sock, ultrasound and various exercises. Disappointed with results, I asked a podiatrist friend from church about it. He recommended orthotics and said he could make me a custom but it would be $$$. Told me to first try a pair of $35 Power Steps insoles. They're not cushy but basically a hard orthotic encased in foam. Worked great for me and I use them in all my shoes - even biking. You can find them at good running shoe stores.

Dr. Beat
    Jan 2006
    Ask your podiatrist or orthopedic doctor about an injection of cortisone into the heel. Not fun, but probably the most effective treatment especially if the others (rest, stretch, ice, etc) have not worked. After it gets better, then continue all the other recommendations, especially orthotics, as it often returns.

PS don't need to ask how I know these things

Flow like water
    First thing, throw the shitty shoes in the trash. Most people I know with PF have been wearing worn out or crummy shoes.

Second thing, don't let anybody do surgery on you for bone spurs without a second opinion.

Thirdly, after you get some really good shoes and innersoles, stretch your feet and hamstrings before you get out of bed in the morning.