mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Pinched Nerve in hip?

Has anyone ever pinched a nerve in there hip post crash? I wrecked about 2 months ago in Fruita and landed on my left hip/ass cheek. Every since then I've had chronic pain when getting up or sitting down. It gets aggravated (and more painful) the more time I spend on my feet. When I ly down if I stretch my legs I get paresthesia in my left foot. I'm a paramedic and my wife is a RN. I'm convinced it's not orthopedic. I've tried muscle relaxers with no relief. Cycling doesn't cause any pain, but work is (seriously) a pain in my ass. Has anyone had something similar? How did you resolve it?
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c
    9:zero:7 190mm

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Perhaps you can try a Chiropractor that practices myofacial release therapy. I'm in week 6 of this therapy and my chiro is working the s**t out of a deep muscle that runs along my Ilium crest. Apparently, I had a knot about the size of a walnut from some injury long ago. It has been knotted for years and has caused excruciating pain. 2 surgeons, and another chiro had nothing for me. This myofacial procedure coupled with regular chiro adjustment hurts (nearly driven to tears) like a mofo when he's grinding on it but I can't believe the success I'm feeling now. Something to consider, perhaps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    appt with chiro tomorrow, pretty sure it's sciatica
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c

GMM
    mtbr member
    I had sciatica for a number of years, and your symptoms sound very similar to what ailed me. Although I hadn't been bothered by it in years, I did have a recent bout. In my case, chiro and weight loss eliminated the pain. It did take awhile. Sciatica really sucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    I had sciatica for a number of years, and your symptoms sound very similar to what ailed me. Although I hadn't been bothered by it in years, I did have a recent bout. In my case, chiro and weight loss eliminated the pain. It did take awhile. Sciatica really sucks.
    I'm really hoping a quick adjustment "fixes" me. I'm 29, very active and not overweight. I'm pretty sure this was all brought on by my get off accompanied with SI issues from cross fit a couple months ago. It's not debilitation pain, just enough to make it really annoying. This sucks!
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So the doc believes it to either be sciatica or a bulging disc. Either he said should be treatable and relieved within a couple weeks based on my symptoms. Today he did some traction, electrical stim., dry needling, and manipulation. He said my SI joint was still really tight and my piriformis felt like a steel cable. The dry needling actually caused some muscle spasms that pushed the needle out on its own. So far I'm very happy I went, leaving the office I felt like I was walking funny because I think my SI joint was actually moving. Heading back thursday for some deep massage.
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Hopefully massage and adjustment gets you the relief you need. If not, MRI time. Only that will tell the story.

mtbr member
    OP, what was the outcome? I was told I had sciatica about 5 weeks ago. Still in alot of pain. Started going to an acupuncturist. No relief yet but fingers crossed. Hope your doing well

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ended up getting an MRI, L5/S1 mild to moderate disc bulge. Spent 2 months at a PT who was doing things to actually make it worse. Start with a new PT tomorrow who seems bery knowledgeable. She predicts 4-6 weeks and I'll be G2G barring any set backs
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c

mtbr member
    I've had similar symptoms, I iced the area religiously every day and had gradual improvement each day. I'm at about 9 consecutive days of icing and am almost pain free.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    originally i did a lot of flexion core exercises which is bad. The last week I've focused on extension to push the disc back into place and it has helped.

Mckenzie exercises
    extended cat pose
    planks

Going to new PT this afternoon
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

L5-s1

Hope it's okay to add to this thread... I was diagnosed with a herniated disc at L5-S1 about 2 1/2 weeks ago, which was about 4 weeks after my initial injury. Had major sciatica pain on the right side for about two weeks, couldn't sleep, stand, sit, walk, etc without a lot of pain. Then came the numbness to my calf and foot. I also have lost strength in my right leg, can only toe up about half as much on my right as my left. Went to doc and PT. PT told me to get a surgical consult, surgeon has suggested a micro-discectomy. He said that without relieving the pressure on the nerve, it may well cause permanent damage. (edit had an MRI to confirm the herniation)...

Have gained about 12 lbs since the injury with zero exercise. I started MTB a little less than a year ago at our local mountain and was immediately hooked. Picked up a new bike 2 months in and had been riding 3-5 times per week including night rides. Surgery is scheduled for April 8th. He says that I can probably get back to riding the trails within 3 months, sooner if I keep it tame.

Lesson is take care of your back when you are young. Proper lifting techniques, no twisting when lifting, etc. All the stuff you hear but seldom strictly adhere to. Everyone has those minor back strains, the pain is telling you to back off! I'm 46 and feel (and sometimes look) 70 with this injury.

Anyone else have this surgery and if so, how long were you off the bike?