Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My other ride is your mom

Pimples on my butt

I've done some searching on this thread and have remarkably come up empty with respect to folks talking about saddle zits, pimples, or other types of general monkey butt. I'm wondering what folks have done to get rid of this condition. I don't think these are sores per se......they appear to be big zits...some are getting quite red (infected?) from being sat on so much. Since my knee problems have subsided, I've been putting in more and more miles....which leads to the zits right where my saddle meets my sit bones.

Yes....I get out of my shorts as soon as I get back from a ride.....yes, I shower and scrub down. Yes, I use a chamois....but, No....I do not currently use cream.

My question to the class is: In your experience...are all the creams the same, or are some better than others for the type of condition I have explained and would love to get rid of....it makes starting out in the morning painful.

Any advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Saddle Sores!
    Bag Balm (green container) works well, rub some on there to speed healing.
    Change your seat! Try another one, like Specialized they give you 1 year to return it.

Hmmmmm
    For the first time in 10 years, I too am having trouble with saddle sores and general rash like symptoms.
    I too shower after riding and change my shorts every ride. I always wash my riding clothes before using again...

In my case I'll try the Bag Balm, I already have some to treat dry skin here in the desert.
    I thought it might be a fungal infection at first, but now I'm not to sure. Anti fungals at best, aren't helping after three weeks, and in fact burn when applied.
    This has been Lotramin and Miconazal Nitrate.
    Any other remedies would be appreciated.

Thanks, Eric.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You know guys, the only people who should be dealing with this stuff for us are understanding wives or girlfriends.....

Drew
    occasional cyclist

57mtb
    Jun 2007

pimple butt

Something I've found to be refreshing and possibly preventative is using an astrigent like Seabreeze, after the shower. It has a tingley feel, it cleans and disinfects. I start at the ankle and go all the way up using a cotton ball.

ups and downs
    It is called Folliculitis and it is an inflamed hair follicle on your butt.

Chamois Butt'r or any of those sorts of chamois creams reduce friction and also prevent inflammation.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Hmmmmm
    After a long search the other night, using "saddle sore" as a search term, I came up with diaper rash cream as a solution.
    I bought some Desitin, because the recommended Johnson's wasn't to be found anywhere around here, and AHHHHHHHHH...
    It works. I feel better overnight, than I have for several weeks.
    Most of the redness went away over night. Just don't apply it and sit on something without wearing shorts or underwear.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    are you wearing bike specific shorts?

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    are you wearing bike specific shorts?
    I do. Canari to be exact, with the cloth chamois. I clean them after every ride and have three pair. I also use powder.
    That's why I'm so stumped. I've never had saddle sore in over 10 years of riding.
    Even when I ride some in blue jeans, during the cooler months, I've never got it before.
    On the plus side, it's now getting better.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Chamois Butter to keep them away and Preperation-H and Witch Hazel ( Astringent) to treat them.

The worst part of Cycling...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill

Chamois Butt'r or any of those sorts of chamois creams reduce friction and also prevent inflammation.
    What he said

JDM
    mtbr member
    +1 on diaper rash cream. While you're at it, pick up some baby yogurt... it is made with whole milk and tastes much better than the lame skim-milk stuff. Babies get all the best stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nappy(diaper)cream works for me aswell

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How do you get rid of one? (without having to attend to the OR)

I don't get them, but I have one that appeared after a long ride with mid July, and although it has decreased in size noticeably, it's still there.

Beasley
    I dont know why or how but I used to wear traditional boxers underneath my riding shorts and I would get them ALL the time. But I recently switched to the underarmor undershorts (actually there Starter undershorts from Walmart but people know the name underarmor) and I have yet to get another pimple. Mabye it is something you should try. Hope this helps.

Beasley
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Know

I don't get them, but I have one that appeared after a long ride with mid July, and although it has decreased in size noticeably, it's still there.
    Might sound gross to all of you but it was actually pretty comical. My brother would get them so bad from playing lacrosse he could barely sit down. So what my mom used to do was take a sterile hot sewing needle and burn them off. The pain on his face was priceless but it worked.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Know

I'm not certain I had saddle sore, but it was on my inner thigh/crotch.

After weeks of trying to "pop" it and giving up.... I decided one more time. Well this time some skin the size of 3/4 of a rice kernel came out. As though my body tried to form skin around the hair inside. Well of course the ensuing blood flow was fun to deal with as I was changing in the locker room to start my day at work....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sitz bath with Epsom slats. easy-peasy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Used to get them all the time (inner thigh from running), switched to Tide Free laundry detergent, problem went away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill

It's bacterial in nature, so be sure to wash your shizz, well, with bleach.

mtbr member
    Those Dr. Schols corn cushions (the ones with the donut holes) work well to cushion the ole pressure-point-pimples...
    SILLY BOYS... Trucks are for GIRLS !!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cth978
    I dont know why or how but I used to wear traditional boxers underneath my riding shorts and I would get them ALL the time. But I recently switched to the underarmor undershorts (actually there Starter undershorts from Walmart but people know the name underarmor) and I have yet to get another pimple. Mabye it is something you should try. Hope this helps.
    +1, I use to get them too. But after I started to wear under armor type underwear it went away. I don't wear cotton underwear anymore. Maybe try to get a pair of silk underwear to wear under your shorts. I don't know if it will work since I never tried it. Just a suggestion.

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    you likely have a staph infection, very very common in athletes of all kinds. Get a prescription of doxycycline of the tetracycline family of antibiotics. Also use a very strong antibacterial/microbial soap like hibiclens. Use the hibiclens for 2-3 solid weeks along with the antibiotics and make sure you continually change clothes and use new towels every shower. When you apply, keep rubbing in the hibiclens on your skin for 3-5 minutes then rinse off with hot water.

If you cant afford the hibiclens, you can use Dial Bar soap with triclosan. A staph infection is really hard to get rid of.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    THE #1 most important thing for this sort of issue is keeping the area dry, ALWAYS.

Keeping the area clean is easy, if you can keep the area dry. Loose fitting, fast wicking material is your friend.

Do you have to wear a chamois? It might be holding the sweat against your butt.

Also, NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER shave your butt. I had part of my butt shaved (because I needed stitches, not for fun) and I had terrible acne and ingrown hairs for about 3 months.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by Radair222
    Used to get them all the time (inner thigh from running), switched to Tide Free laundry detergent, problem went away.
    Thats actually really good advice. I had similar problems with getting bumps on my arms and thighs where clothes contacted them. I switched laundry detergent to a powder that is dye and fragrance free and use a lot less than what is recommended . Also switched the bath soap to dr bronners all natural. Bumps are gone, skin is clear, and I dont itch after a shower. I also save a lot of money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast