Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am glad no one has posted a picture of their affliction

what nice teeth you have
    As far as a chamios cream goes, I like to use Noxema. Some oil based creams can clog your pores. Noxema is non oil based, and because its basically a soap, there is no worry about clogging pores. Just rub it on before you ride and dont worry about washing it off untill your after ride shower. Off the bike use powders (medicated or non medicated Zeasorb) to keep the area dry. Noxema is a lot cheaper than some of the cycling specific creams out there. The only downside is when your riding buddies ask you why you smell like menthol. Try explaining that one without getting laughed at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    I had part of my butt shaved (because I needed stitches, not for fun)

I adjusted my seat position on all my bikes and swaped seats around for a while. Now I got them set right and it's been slowly disappearing, so that's the basic fix.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you have one that won't go away, don't wait and try self remedies like I did. Went and saw my doctor after putting up with this for seven months......gave me a prescription for some antibiotics and cleared it right up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    For the first time in 10 years, I too am having trouble with saddle sores and general rash like symptoms.
    I too shower after riding and change my shorts every ride. I always wash my riding clothes before using again...

In my case I'll try the Bag Balm, I already have some to treat dry skin here in the desert.
    I thought it might be a fungal infection at first, but now I'm not to sure. Anti fungals at best, aren't helping after three weeks, and in fact burn when applied.
    This has been Lotramin and Miconazal Nitrate.
    Any other remedies would be appreciated.

Thanks, Eric.
    Eric:If after 3 weeks the anti fungals aren't working, and in fact burn when applied, please STOP. Go to a dermatologist NOW. You may well have eczema. I am going thru the exact same thing right now. It has spread to the point I'm gonna have to stay off the bike for who knows how long? It's already feeling way better due to switching to steroid creams, and discontinuing the antifungals, which were making it WORSE. But if you don't treat it, it'll spread, and can become chronic. You don't want this. Irritation and chemical sensitivity are the usual triggers. I got mine after a 50 mile training ride for a century. Been using the same type of chamois shorts for years, wasn't doing anything different. Was going to try Assos cream, but never had this prob before now.
    Why now? Who knows. Get it treated.

Take Chances
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    you likely have a staph infection, very very common in athletes of all kinds. Get a prescription of doxycycline of the tetracycline family of antibiotics. Also use a very strong antibacterial/microbial soap like hibiclens. Use the hibiclens for 2-3 solid weeks along with the antibiotics and make sure you continually change clothes and use new towels every shower. When you apply, keep rubbing in the hibiclens on your skin for 3-5 minutes then rinse off with hot water.

If you cant afford the hibiclens, you can use Dial Bar soap with triclosan. A staph infection is really hard to get rid of.
    Just purchased some Hibiclens. The bottle has a warning to not use in your genital area. My first thought was to use this as a general soap in that nether region but now I don't think I would use it. Maybe if was applied just to a small area with a q-tip but I do consider all that area "the genital area". Have others used this?

mtbr member
    I'm glad I found this. I thought it was just a painful zit that I couldn't pop. I tried slicing it with a box cutter, but it just blend and is still there. It is right on my butt and it hurts to even sit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I had what started out as some pimples become more inflamed as I kept riding. Went to a dermatologist and he ended up lancing the 2 bad ones and shooting em' with cortisone. Had a trip to Mammoth a few days later so no real time to rest. Used a combination of Brave Soldier Friction Zone first (thickest) and Chamois Buttr' Eurostyle on top of that: no real issues.

What I've found is that unless your saddle is perfect for you, you will get recurring issues. I'm talking perfect shape, sit bone support, padding (comfortable support but not mushy). The wrong saddle actually causes very minor abrasions on the skin from which bacteria will invade. I'm a little guy (5'7" 135lbs) so I always thought the narrower saddles were the ticket for me. NOT SO! My sit bones favor a 143mm saddle, and without a decent amount of padding, those racier saddles felt like sitting on a 2x4 (at least for my bony ass). True relief came when I switched to a WTB Vigo Pro saddle. Haven't had any issues since. You'll know it when you find the right saddle for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2