Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pfs/chondromalacia; For 4yrs Quit Cycling??

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DMoreau 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any links to clinical research showing if continuing to cycle with this issue or Osteo Arthritis will cause long term prognosis to be worse? Will I be worse in 15 years if I continue to cycle or the same?

46 yrs old, Problem top of knee cap pain following cycling. Mild hot sensation while pedaling, pain starts next day lasts 3-5 days.
My MRI is good possible slight joint effusion (I was riding till the day before MRI), xrays good joint spacing. Scope done 2 yrs ago removed plica (not the problem), ortho said joints looked good.

Lots of effort in bike fit on my own using Andy Pruit's book, Stretching and strength exercises by 3 physio's for 3 years...no luck. Off the bikes totally for past year.

Give up or get back on the bike?
Sold the road bike...still have the mountain bike....

#3 ·
Set your mountain bike up on a trainer,to eliminate bumps, and work your legs and knees out this way before you go to the trails. I have severe Osteoarthritis and have under gone three total knee ops. (2 TKR's and 1 revision to my right TKR) If I don't keep my legs moving they get stiff and tight. Movement is good for OA. , just don't over do.

#2 ·
From a research standpoint, there is not a huge amount of good clinical data out there. Good clinical trials that are peer reviewed are difficult to perform due to the complexity of the diagnosis. PFS can have many causes including the foot, hip, and of course, knee structures.
It sound like you have covered your bases with imaging and possilby therapy as well.
One thing to consider is this may be more spinally related than anything else due to the lack of other ortho findings. The Lumbar spine can be tricky at times and I see a fair amount of patients like yourself who have not improved with typical treatments. Often, I find Lumbar dysfunctions and instabilities that have an effect on the knee and its mechanics. You may want to look into a good manual therapist if you can. They may be able to help.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info Fellows.
I do work with a local chiropractor to keep spine in place also.

I seem to be able to spin on my trainer up to 20 minutes 3 days wk but any resistance causes top of knee caps to ache.

I can keep the pain to reasonable levels with Tylenol or nsaids if I do overdo it. Unfortunately the level of activity needed to have fun on the mountain bike flares up the problem. I am ok with that as long as I am not causing vastly increased rate of decline on my joints. I can still walk and hike and don't want to loose that too.

#5 ·
Teluog,

I've been going through some serious knee problems myself. My knee started bothering me in December after a long week of riding and running. It is still a constant problem that's bothering me in my everday life. I haven't touch my bikes in over a month and haven't been on a real ride since december. I don't plan on riding until my knee is somewhat back to normal.

I've talked to a two doctors and the doctor I'm working with know told me that it is most likely a problem with my plica and also tendonitis.

How did the plica removal go? Was it a tough surgery to recover from? Are there any side effects from the surgery?

I start PT tomorrow and I'm looking at getting into kayaking as something to do while I recover. I've research common cycling knee problems and from the looks of it there is little hope of recovery for the majority of the problems.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear your knees are trouble too.

The surgery was not that bad. First day or two very sore with a lot of swelling then gradual recovery with physio range of motion returned almost fully in 1 month.

My knees are worse than when I went in though. I have additional pain below the knee cap where the scope insertion points are and my initial problem was worse with no improvement since.

I would try everything you possible can to verify the problem before ANY surgery and would try all physio/excercise options for at least a year. Good Idea to get another activity to keep your mind off it.

I was told to continue cycling but at a low level so I restricted to light road rides communing to work 40 min / day. Should have just rested...

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.