mtbr member
    Apr 2004

persistent knee pain

Hi all,

My knees aren't the best and they give some pain from time to time. I've been training for the last month for a duathlon and over the last couple weeks I've had a pain in my right knee that just won't go away and is getting worse.

The pain doesn't throb-it's just a dull ache, the knee is a little stiff walking around. Running really makes the pain worse and biking just seems to slowly aggravate it.

The pain is on the left side of my right patella. It feels like a bad bruise-it hurts when touched.

Any suggestions or ideas? My duathlon is in 4 days and I really don't want to miss it. A friend suggested adding ice to my stretching routine and work on some leg extensions and presses in the weight room for a long term solution.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It sounds like a tracking problem. For the short term use an ice/heat contrast. Heat for 20, off for 20, ice for 20. Always end on the ice. For the long term a single leg quarter squat works really well. You stand on one leg and squat down a quarter of the way, and come back up. Do 3 sets of 10 moving to 2 sets of 30. You can hold onto the wall if you need stability.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Stretch well? The only knee problem I have endured was totally attributable to a marked increase in use and tightening of the muscles. Stretching well completely alleviated the issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

thanks for the help

I'll work some of those quarter squats and the heat/ice routine into my workout today.

Will also be diligent with a thorough stretch pre and post workout.

Thanks!

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    I have the same symtoms.

After many x-rays and multiple MRI's and one unneccessary surgery I went to a Orthopedic Dr. with an excellent sports medicine background. His diagnosis was: I over pronate and have flat feet (my arches fell). As a result there are serious alighnment issues. His recommendation was for me to get orthodic inserts in my shoes, this helped, but I have done so much damage to my knees and feet (specifically I have worn the cartlidge out from under my patella, and have developed halgus valgus) that my running days are over!

I would recommend that you seek a professional that understands the stresses that accompany athletic lifestyles. I ignored the issues and as a result can no longer participate in an activity that I love, running.

Best of luck!
    Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Update

I've been riding the bike into work for the last month and I pull my 3 year old in a trailer to his daycare.

I posted my initial question once I got into the office yesterday. I felt that if I took it easy and didn't mash the pedals on the ride home that I would be fine. Well the ride home nearly brought me to tears. Last night was spent doing heat/cold cycles and taking nsaids.

Needless to say I have an appt to see an orthopaedic dr today who specializes in sports medicine. I'll post with further updates.

Thanks again for the advice.