VENI VEDI BIKI

Persistant Piroformis inflamation

I have already been to normal doc/ortho/sports med/pt/ chiro.....

I get persistent pain/tightening/inflammation in my left piroformis muscle after every hard ride. I stretch before hand and do all of the exercises that docs have shown me. The exercises, stretching, and foam rollers/massages help reduce the inflammation and pain. But no one has been able to tell me WHY this muscle keeps getting inflamed in the first place except to say "overuse."

I am not "overusing" it. I am just riding regularly. I don't get this problem on my right side. I have had my legs measured and there is no difference.

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice as to how to PREVENT the inflammation in the first place or have any thoughts as to what is causing it?

Thanks.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    I have already been to normal doc/ortho/sports med/pt/ chiro.....

I get persistent pain/tightening/inflammation in my left piroformis muscle after every hard ride. I stretch before hand and do all of the exercises that docs have shown me. The exercises, stretching, and foam rollers/massages help reduce the inflammation and pain. But no one has been able to tell me WHY this muscle keeps getting inflamed in the first place except to say "overuse."

I am not "overusing" it. I am just riding regularly. I don't get this problem on my right side. I have had my legs measured and there is no difference.

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice as to how to PREVENT the inflammation in the first place or have any thoughts as to what is causing it?

Thanks.
    scoot your seat forward.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Been all the same places you've been and in the process I come across a back/pain management doc. Explained the situation he gave me a couple shots and it was gone! I would walk in hurting and walk out virtually pain free. I have only done it when it seems to cause sciatica maybe a couple time in the last 6 or 7 years but that is the only thing that's worked! It still flares up but I am much more careful to stretch and strengthen. Once you get it under control it may then be manageable

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Piroformis details?

Perhaps you could share where he is shooting---and what the fluid is?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's been a couple years but as I remember it was the middle and upper part of my glute. Ya know I am not sure what exactly they were shooting but I believe they mentioned it was not a steroid. Has anyone ever done the rolling on a tennis ball deal? Up until the shot the only thing that would give me temporary relief would be deep tissue massage. Then i found I could get the same result minus the money and chick rubbin my butt from the tennis ball. However, this was just temporary relief

mtbr member
    Out curiosity do you carry your wallet in the pocket of your pants on the side that's hurting? This injury is common with truck drivers and others who sit on their wallets for a long period of time. Has anyone shown you exercises and stretches to help this?

and re: the shots - they are likely marcaine/kenalog (which is a steroid) - and they go into the trigger points in the muscle.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

Snap Crackle Pop
    Can you describe the pain. I have had this pain that seems to start just below and behind my hip and runs down my leg to the back of my knee. It really only seems to hurt while sitting down and when I stand up. When I stand up, it feels like I am in the process of pulling a muscle, but once I am up and walking, the pain is gone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nismo,
    What you described sounds very similar to what I had experienced. Not to say it's the same thing but stretching was a big help and brought some relief

Hell Track
    I had it for years. felt like a shock going through my nerve in the back of the leg up into the a** joint (technical term)
    I did physical therapy and stretching. hasn't bothered me in quite some time
    ibuprofen helped a lot.
    good luck, i know how bad that can hurt

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would highly recommend seeing a physical therapist. If the aggressive stretching and foam rolling is not helping you may have some underlying muscle imbalances or alignment issues with your pelvis or spine that is causing that muscle to become tight or overused. I would try searching for a physical therapist that specializes in manual therapy (where they specifically check the alignment of your pelvis and back by palpating your bones and then performing mobilizations or muscle energy techniques to help re-align it). Good luck!

mtbr member
    Look for a chiro that does"Active Release" and "Graston"

Google them for vids

Sent using BOTH my thumbs