Certifiably Crazy

Pedal snagged on a rock and this happened.

Was going on a little downhill section of a local trail doing 10mph and my pedal snagged on a rock. Next thing I know I'm flying sideways. By pure luck I manage to spin my body and land mostly on my Camelbak. My right side hits the ground hard and this is what happened.

The first picture is the day after. Second is two days later. After some pain and it turning super purple, I got convinced to go get it checked out. The doctor examined it and said that it's a deep bruise and my body is still in shock. I was just told to ice it and take naproxen for the pain.

I'm glad it happened on the easy section of the trail and not the rock gardens.

Ps. We were 15 miles away from the car when this happened.

:-\
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedal snagged on a rock and this happened.-img_20121108_195822.jpg  

Pedal snagged on a rock and this happened.-img_20121109_120226.jpg  

2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Bummer is it hard as a rock yet?
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Certifiably Crazy
    It's pretty soft right now. Is it supposed to harden up? In before that's what she said.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    use Lasonil Heparinoid Ointment help break down bruising

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    It's pretty soft right now. Is it supposed to harden up? In before that's what she said.
    Ive never had a bad bruise harden up, but my buddy had a deep tissue like that turn into a hardened area that the doctor said was protein crystals built up in the muscle

Certifiably Crazy

Updated picture. It still hurts, but not as bothersome. Can't wait to get back on one of the bikes. I'm so bored!

Lower, right back.

Right side of leg/quad
    Last edited by Carloswithac; 11-12-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've had that nasty bruise on both my hips from a fall. I have that hardened spot on both sides and it hurts to lay on. One about 10 years ago and one 6 months ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ow, that hurts me just looking at it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

@trailgrinder
    Wow! Get better quick, looks like is in an annoying spot depending on how you sleep. Good luck

Certifiably Crazy
    Update: most of the bruising is gone. I got back on the road bike for a 30 mile coastal ride to see how I felt. No issues. Back to mountain biking tomorrow before work. Yay! :-)
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    looks like you need some more iron while your at it!

mtbr member
    I did this when I upgraded to wider bars.
    Pedal snagged on a rock and this happened.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354157537.886194.jpg
    Turned into this
    Pedal snagged on a rock and this happened.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354157602.642495.jpg
    Then this
    Pedal snagged on a rock and this happened.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354157647.465260.jpg
    I don't think I want to take up jousting; it hurts.

mtbr member
    That for sure looks like it hurts. I also injured myself as my mallet clipped a rock on San Juan trail, I managed to control the bike but began to have pain
    In my leg. I tore my MCL. This was two years ago now same leg is recovering from broken leg.

mtbr member
    How does it go? If you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all...
    Me too.
    I'm recovering from a fractured ball on my humorous.
    Pedal snagged on a rock and this happened.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354216311.900224.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Update: most of the bruising is gone. I got back on the road bike for a 30 mile coastal ride to see how I felt. No issues. Back to mountain biking tomorrow before work. Yay! :-)
    Carlos, good to hear you're recovered. I've just suffered a similar injury - eat photo looks near identical. I have a question for you: what did you do to minimize risk of infection and also what did you do to prevent hardening in that area as another poster mentioned?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Jeeeeez.............that rock had it out for you!

Certifiably Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by podoco View Post
    Carlos, good to hear you're recovered. I've just suffered a similar injury - eat photo looks near identical. I have a question for you: what did you do to minimize risk of infection and also what did you do to prevent hardening in that area as another poster mentioned?
    Thanks
    I drank a lot of water. Iced it daily. Toward the end of the healing process I would massage it. It never hardened up. I didn't have issues with infections since it wasn't an open wound. I was also taking ibuprofen for the pain.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I drank a lot of water. Iced it daily. Toward the end of the healing process I would massage it. It never hardened up. I didn't have issues with infections since it wasn't an open wound. I was also taking ibuprofen for the pain.
    Cool, thanks for sharing.