Thread: patellar pain

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

patellar pain

Curious if anyone had knee cap pain on the top of their stroke (when knee is fully bent). It hurts to touch sometimes and also after sitting after long periods of time. I suffered a pertty bad fall on my knee cap a few months ago that resulted in 8 stitches but no damage to the Patella. had to keep my left leg straight for a month so the skin could heal. I just got my bike refitted and it turns out that the saddle height was way too low and far forward so I believe that that's the main cause. Still hurts to ride though even with the seat adjustment. any suggestions.rest? ice? this sounds pretty mild compared to most injuries posted here but I figured someone out there may help me out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    hey much thanks. I'll see a doctor pretty soon
    chalfinator

mtbr member

Knee Pain

Quote Originally Posted by mikechalfin
    Curious if anyone had knee cap pain on the top of their stroke (when knee is fully bent). It hurts to touch sometimes and also after sitting after long periods of time. I suffered a pertty bad fall on my knee cap a few months ago that resulted in 8 stitches but no damage to the Patella. had to keep my left leg straight for a month so the skin could heal. I just got my bike refitted and it turns out that the saddle height was way too low and far forward so I believe that that's the main cause. Still hurts to ride though even with the seat adjustment. any suggestions.rest? ice? this sounds pretty mild compared to most injuries posted here but I figured someone out there may help me out.
    Well, as noted later in this thread, tele medicine is always challenging to do.
    The fact that you had a fall (trauma) onto the knee is enough to begin the degeneration and inflammation processes. More often then not, if you have a trauma similar to this fall there will be arthritis building in the knee. It will often not show up in an xray for several weeks though. The other thing would hold true to a small non-displaced or stress fracture. They often will not show up on an Xray for some time (6 weeks typically).
    There is a very good chance that you are having pain under the knee cap between its joint with the thigh bone (patellarfemoral joint).
    It is also quite possible that you have had some adaptive shortening of the quads and tendons of the quad/patella due to the bracing in extension.

I would first begin to stretch your quads out and perform some patellar mobilizations. If this does not seem to help the situation I would see your Physical Therapist for further assessment and likely more strengthening and stabilization exercises as well.
    BoiseBoy