I Strava Hamburgers

Partial Dislocation of Shoulder

Dumbest crash ever, too much speed, not enough skill... new bike, and a healthy dose of derp.

Partial dislocation of shoulder that popped back into place with a small movement and flexing of my shoulder. Hurt like hell on Saturday. Sunday and Monday small amounts of recovery.

Now it wasn't fully dislocated... I think. But has this happened to anyone else? What was your recovery like?

I still have full range of motion when assisted, but 0 strength to lift past say my chest...
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Dumbest crash ever, too much speed, not enough skill... new bike, and a healthy dose of derp.

Partial dislocation of shoulder that popped back into place with a small movement and flexing of my shoulder. Hurt like hell on Saturday. Sunday and Monday small amounts of recovery.

Now it wasn't fully dislocated... I think. But has this happened to anyone else? What was your recovery like?

I still have full range of motion when assisted, but 0 strength to lift past say my chest...
    If it does not improve very quickly, in the next day or so, get it checked. Could be a torn rotator cuff or something. If you can afford to, get it checked out anyway.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It sounds exactly what happens to mine: partial subluxation. Mine is a genetic propensity, and a real pain in the ass; it happened often after a baseball injury in college, and the ortho always had me rest it for 1-2 weeks, then do the typical physical therapy stuff until strength returned and motion with NO pain. I always rushed it, and got back into playing and sports before I should've.
    But, down the line, I kept up the therapy when I lifted weights 2-3 times a week, always.

About 3 months ago, I fell awkwardly and did it again, badly. But, I had dropped my insurance, so I rested it, then went back to that old routine, and I was fine after five-six weeks... I know, a long time in riding season.
    This guy's stabilization exercises helped a bunch, early on:
    Evan Osar, Shoulder Stabilization, why not Ys Ts and Ws - YouTube
    Shoulder stabilization for impingement syndromes - YouTube
    This guy is almost a satire of a therapist, but the basic exercises are right on:
    Physical Therapy Diagnosis: Shoulder Stabilization - YouTube

And, if you want to read up, I found these somewhat helpful:
    Shoulder Dislocation/Subluxation
    Dislocated Shoulder

Of course, you *should* go see an ortho, if you can. If not, rest it for at least a week before therapy. That's my 2 cents, from experience.
    Now: Heal!