trailmaster
    Dec 2005

painful swollen knee

A few weeks back I did an out and return bike camping trip on the Greenbrier River trail in W Virginia. Carried way too much weight with panniers.

The weather was nasty on the second day, so it turned into 3 days to ride the 160 miles. For the most part I took my time just enjoying the fall colors. But on the last day daylight got short, so I pushed pretty hard to get back to the car before dark.

My son had borrowed my bike the week before and lowered the seat. It still felt a little low for the trip, but I did not raise it, as it felt similar to my MTB height.

The morning after getting home the left knee felt poorly and got worse thru the day. The next morning it was swollen and much worse. I stayed off the bikes and off my feet for a few days. It seemed to get worse at night and be better as the day went on.

After a week of that I went on a 10 mile rail trail ride and it felt better, till the next morning. A couple more days off it and it seemed to be better. So I did a road ride on the Blueridge Parkway. While riding it felt fine. The next morning it went back to being swollen and sore.

Now its been nearly a month and it's not getting better. No problem load bearing, stiffness with bending. Gets worse at night and better during the day. Have not been on a bike in over a week and that is what's killing me.

It sucks to be retired and not to have health insurance. And not able to ride.

Anybody got an idea what this is?

mtbr member
    A month seems like a long time. Is your knee warm to the touch? If so I'm guessing some serious inflammation. Have you tried ice after riding? May have to break down and get some meds. Sucks though, docs will want X-rays first. Maybe a walkin clinic.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I screwed up my knee when I was in college. It was pretty hard to build back up to where I am now - I've lost a little range of motion but can lift a lot of weight and ride my bike like I mean it, so I'm content.

If you want to economize, try to skip the doctor and go straight to a physical therapist. A PT would do his own evaluation anyway.

If your knee injury is like mine, you need to take some time off the bike, probably on the order of a few weeks, and then rebuild your ride time from near zero, pretty slowly. A PT would probably also give you some stability exercises. I built back up from about an hour and a half per week, following the 10%/week guideline that runners often use to increase volume. Those half hour rides feel pretty silly, but by summer, you'll probably be back to riding as much as fits into your life.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

trailmaster
    Dec 2005
    Went to bed last night with the knee feeling better. And this morning it is much worse, can barely walk.

What's up with that?

mtbr member
    I bashed my knees in a stupid tripping accident and it took quite a while to get back to normal. I found that wearing elasticized knee wraps helped speed things along. I also no longer use clipless pedals as I need to move my feet around as I ride, otherwise I can have some post ride discomfort. No problem on my MTB bike but riding my CX bike with flats was so awkward that I actually went back to toe clips. I can get away with this because I am old.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Likely just inflammation xrays are not oing to help. I would ice it 20 min three times a day and do a focused ibuprofen regimen 400mg three times a day with food, as long as you have no gastritis or kidney issues. Ibuprofen 5 days. Rest/activity as tolerated on the low side. Ice bath though painful sounding can help ( to op)