mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Pain in the tendons behind my knee

I just started riding this year and have a 26" hard tail (I now see the value in fs).

So I took my first trip to the mountains the past week and I may have enjoyed myself a bit to much.

It was a beautiful fall day out in the North Carolina mountains and I was on this amazing trail. It was about a 4 mile climb to the summit, through rock gardens and techy switch backs, a real lung buster. But the pay off.. This was my first real mountain decent and it was invigorating.

Needless to say with all the drops and long jumps my old body may not have been ready for that level of beating.

Woke up the next day and the two tendons that go up the back of your leg, behind the knee, were a little sore. I should have sat out but I went back out anyway and took another ride anyway.

Now that area behind the knee is really sore. Ive been icing it and having a little trouble getting around today. I'm not in any serious pain, just an uncomfortable sore and limited range of motion. I don't feel like I tore or broke anything.

Has any one had something like this before?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yup, had that really bad last season. Fixed it with a ton of stretching. For me, standing on the pedals in the "attack" position for long periods of time strained my already tight hamstrings. I stretch my hamstrings multiple times per day.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    As stated, stretching is the remedy and the key to preventing this in the future. Always stretch every day, but especially before riding.